Chris Erskine

DUFCFAN

He's a luxury player - we could get away with playing him in the First Division for his occasional flash of 'brilliance' (everything is relevant) - however, he's not good enough to play in the Premiership (which is why he can't even make Utd's bench).

If he's having an unhappy time at Tannadice that's his look out.

Last season everyone agreed Erskine had added workrate and a willingness to come back to help in defence to make himself more than just an "occasional flair" player. He's now in a team with a bigger squad and several players with good skill. He simply has to fight for his place and wait.

Nothing has been proved either way yet - though I'd say since he was an outstanding player for us and several of our players from last season have show they can handle this league then it's likely that given a break and provided he keeps his confidence while waiting he will be able to make an impact in thier team.

He's a luxury player - we could get away with playing him in the First Division for his occasional flash of 'brilliance' (everything is relevant) - however, he's not good enough to play in the Premiership (which is why he can't even make Utd's bench).

If he's having an unhappy time at Tannadice that's his look out.

That's very harsh as Erskine's goal-scoring record was a crucial factor in our promotion last season. If Chris could re-produce that form for us again, he would be a valuable member of our team/squad. We need a bit of flair to cause uncertainty in opposition defences to create space and opportunities for the strikers. He won't want to spend the season in the stand or the u21s as an over-age player. Any return to Firhill is likely to be on loan unless United let him go for free.

Why would Erskine agree to come back to Firhill on loan if he's not guaranteed a regular game?

If you think he would be guaranteed a place who'll drop to the bench?

And which attacking midfielder/forward sitting on the bench would be further marginalised by being dropped completely?

Not that I could give a toss about Dundee Utd but if one of their players is underperforming I'm sure it doesn't usually end up with that player being loaned out.

• Like 2

To be honest, I don't see the point in talking about whether he will come back or not, I'd rather talk about the players we have playing for us just now.

However, I will say this. Chris Erskine is the most gifted and exciting footballer I've ever seen in a Thistle jersey. Up until the start of 2012 he was very inconsistent, agreed, but I always thought the potential was there for him to become a Firhill legend - and I don't think anyone can argue with him being given that status now.

Would we have won the league without Chris Erskine last season? I honestly don't think we would have. Every move went through him, pretty much every attacking move.

I think certain people in this thread are trying to convince themselves that he wasn't that good, in order to come to terms with the fact that he's left.

He's undoubtedly struggling at United - but even the greatest players of all time can struggle in new surroundings. Kaka - at one time considered the best Brazilian playmaker of his generation - never really settled at Real Madrid for example. Hence the reason he's now back at Milan on a free transfer.

If we ever get a DVD of last season - I think people's memories of Erskine will be refreshed.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 11

Crapnamara only took Erskine to prevent him from being a threat to the Arabs by the looks of it, I'd love to get him back with us , the entertainment value of his wizardry in red and yellow is worth it alone and he did turn games for us , I was disappointed at his excuse for leaving ( " wanted to play in the top flight ") but wont hold that against him now and am hoping that he will be dissolusioned enough at *****dice to ask behind the scenes for a return .

Aberdeen showed that Chris is not the player we need right now. We need a Roy Keane type of midfielder who can boss and bully the opposition and a physical but skillful striker in the Ibrahimovic mould to strike fear into defenses. Simple, must be loads of them sitting around waiting on a phone call from Archie.

• Like 1

Aberdeen showed that Chris is not the player we need right now. We need a Roy Keane type of midfielder who can boss and bully the opposition and a physical but skillful striker in the Ibrahimovic mould to strike fear into defenses. Simple, must be loads of them sitting around waiting on a phone call from Archie.

We also need a strong but pacy back up defender to Muirhead and Balatoni. Someone like Rio Ferdinand in his younger days. It's ridiculous Archie hasn't found someone like this.

We actually have a "keane" figure (obviously not in Keane's class) in Osbourne. He should have started on Saturday. By the time he came on the game was really beyond us. Not saying we might not have got beat anyway (especially with Gabriel's blunders) but we wouldn't have got over run so easily in midfield.

As for a forward, rather silly joke, we all know good forwards cost money and we don't have any. We've done well to bring in Higginbotham who although not an out and out centre forward looks like he's got goals in him. With luck we may be able to bring in a decent loan player in january but until then we go with what we've got.

So far we've strugggled against Aberdeen and (for one half at least) against Motherwell - 2 teams expected to end up in the top 3 or 4 this season. We've not only done OK but have even looked good against the teams we've played so far below them. I'd expect we'll continue to do well against the teams that will end up in the bottom 6 - we won't beat them all the time but we will take points off them.

With Hearts 16 points behind and us having a decent start of 8 points - if we end up the first quarter in double figures (which it looks very likely we'll do comfortably) that will be a good start. By then the team will know what this leagues about and the manager too will know more about his players at this level. I also think he'll maybe know about how to play certain teams and that some players might be better against some opposition than others.

• Like 1

We actually have a "keane" figure (obviously not in Keane's class) in Osbourne. He should have started on Saturday. By the time he came on the game was really beyond us. Not saying we might not have got beat anyway (especially with Gabriel's blunders) but we wouldn't have got over run so easily in midfield.

As for a forward, rather silly joke, we all know good forwards cost money and we don't have any. We've done well to bring in Higginbotham who although not an out and out centre forward looks like he's got goals in him. With luck we may be able to bring in a decent loan player in january but until then we go with what we've got.

So far we've strugggled against Aberdeen and (for one half at least) against Motherwell - 2 teams expected to end up in the top 3 or 4 this season. We've not only done OK but have even looked good against the teams we've played so far below them. I'd expect we'll continue to do well against the teams that will end up in the bottom 6 - we won't beat them all the time but we will take points off them.

With Hearts 16 points behind and us having a decent start of 8 points - if we end up the first quarter in double figures (which it looks very likely we'll do comfortably) that will be a good start. By then the team will know what this leagues about and the manager too will know more about his players at this level. I also think he'll maybe know about how to play certain teams and that some players might be better against some opposition than others.

Just got to think the difference John Sutton would have made if we had the money.

Agreed regarding Sutton. The type of player we need at the moment is a centre forward with strength and presence. When teams such as Aberdeen etc try and stop us playing by pressing us high up the pitch we need the option of playing it long. For this to work of course we need the right type of forward- which Baird and Doolan aren't.

• 1 month later...