Just In -Motherwell

angry gaz

Didn't get out the starting blocks quick enough and were dominated for an hour of the game.Midfeild was totaly over run with Bannigan in particular invisible out wide.Archie brouight on Higgy and moved Bannigan inside and things started to happen.Cant see Dools starting next week, Baird was much more effective when he came on and is due a start now.

Ended up we should have grabbed a point and played like we can do for the last half hour.

A real learning experience I think for players and manager but archie will have found a few things out today .

Edited by angry gaz

Awful result but it had to happen some time. Lots of folk inc me got carried away by the football we can play but we need to be able to score. Sounds like we should have today but didnt, and in the hearts game i did see, we should have won by three goals but didn't. Next couple of games v important, players not used to losing will have a test.

Is it just me or do we only ever fail when Welsh doesn't play? How many games has he lost in a Thistle jersey?

Thought Osborne should have came off at h/t,there midfield ran the show and fair play to them, they closed us down all over the park, not to sure where our goals are going to come from, think higginbottom looks a really good signing,always going to be a tuff game for us,every game is a big game for us this year,roll on next week

We weren't in that first half at all which was disappointing. However, we played decent stuff in the second. Poor games from Fraser and Bannigan. Taylor-Sinclair was very good, as was Higginbotham when he came on. Forbes as well threatened when he was on; with his shot that Baird tried to divert in (but unfortunately took the pace off the ball). Doolan wasn't up to much either.

Unbeaten run had to end some time. Only a 1-0 loss too, so not too disheartening, we should still be looking to beat St. Mirren next week who look guff.

Thought we had stage fright the first half. Archie obviously told them at half time to stop thinking there are better than us and we took control of the second. Still snatching at shots so looks like nerves but thought higgy looked very sharp and needs to start against Cowdenbeath to get a goal. Osborne got stuck in but my man of the match was craigan who ran the midfield second half and did a power of work. Sinky was causing loads of problems as well didn't seem to play a right back and with some luck we could have scored. All the subs did well once they came on and should get a start on Tuesday.

Muirhead had a stinker as did Fraser but at least we gave the fans something to shout about late in the game.

Ps the motherwell young team are an embarrassment.

Edited by kennymac29

Wee bit of a mirror image of the Hearts game. By half time the home side should've been home and dry. Not much change at the start of the second half but as the game went on the away side comes far more into the game. The positive differences were that in overall ability we're closer to Motherwell than Hearts are to us.

Folk will point out that it's lack of a cutting edge that's our biggest weakness just now and it's difficult to argue against that. We don't have the money to bring in the mysterious experienced goalscorer with SPL experience so it's really trying to get the best out of what we have. I don't really have a clue what the answer is to this weakness. When Baird comes on we seem to be a good bit more lively upfront. But Doolan would be more likely to score from the chances that come to Baird. Not too concerned as I don't think we're too far away from getting things right in that area..

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with Doolan. Starved of service and balls pumped up to him. First half we were dreadful. Did not go wide and ball got stuck and cancelled out in central midfield. Higgy coming on made a world of difference and everyone took a step up in performance. Forbes dud well too, always looking for the ball and some great passes. It was a learning experience as we were nudged and muscled off the ball in first half. For cup game give Higgy, Osbourne and Forbes starts then look forward to next league game and make minor tweaks where suitable.

I thought the first half we were so nervous that we reverted to high balls to Doolan which gave him no chance. As much as dools hasn't done much so far he's worked his erse off and had zero service. Baird cannae shoot that's obvious. I think, and it pains me to say it, we are missing forbes creativity. Without erskine we lack that but forbes can, when he can be bothered. Dead balls and balls through the middle he is the best we have and today albeit ten minutes he did well.

I thought the first half we were so nervous that we reverted to high balls to Doolan which gave him no chance. As much as dools hasn't done much so far he's worked his erse off and had zero service. Baird cannae shoot that's obvious. I think, and it pains me to say it, we are missing forbes creativity. Without erskine we lack that but forbes can, when he can be bothered. Dead balls and balls through the middle he is the best we have and today albeit ten minutes he did well.

Agree, maybe time to give Rossco a start in midweek and on Saturday

What a game of 2 halves - the worst performance in a long time in the 1st and the better team, in my opinion, in the 2nd. Sadly we couldn't get the equaliser when Bannigan ran the midfield last 30 mins and we started to dominate. Forbes looked sharp when he came on and is surely due more game time than he has lately. Feel sorry for Doolan as he didn't get much service during the time he was on the pitch. I still think he is our best striker and will get goals when we stick to our high pace passing game using SOD and ATS.. Finally, I love the fact we left the stadium today gutted at losing to the 2nd best team in Scotland last year. We've come a long way guys!!

Terrible 1st half but I think praise due McCalls way for their tactics.

Osbourne looked really good and kept us in it.

Fraser's head went down early on.

Higginbotham looks a real threat and should start.

I think Doolan should be given some bench time.

Balatoni struggled a bit but it's just one game and he'll be fine. Welsh is a better leader.

Fans were superb from both sides.

We'll win next week after some better breaks of the ball.

Oh, and the ref was pish

thought we deserved a draw down to the performance in the last half hour, motherwell however done a job on us they nulified our fullbacks and had lawless man marked by hamill, lawless noticed early on this was happening and moved infield taking hamill with him but for some reason fraser , bannigan , and sod were having absolute stinkers and couldnt use the space this was creating. i thought fraser in particular was very poor and was only rivaled in that department by banzo , they are both young tho and hopefully theyve learned that they are going to need a wee bit extra in this league. there is still a long way to go and i am still a happy jag, a big target man in before the window shuts and were fine. the boys are all on a learning curve just now and last years players deserve there chance there a good group and they will learn quick especially with the backing of the fans.

i m sure we will get the bangers back at firhill.

Well can't argue with what has been said. First half Motherwell did a job on us. McCall obviously did his homework and they pressed us high up the pitch. With Ozzy and Fraser in the middle of the park we were sat too deep for my liking.

Sloppy goal to lose from our point of view. Conrad was pulled outwide by Anier and Francis-Angol managed to get the ball across to Sutton for an easy finish.

Hardly got out of our own half. Hutchinson, who was excellent for Well, had Doolan in his back pocket.

Second half was much better and we played our own game a little more. Some good defending by the Well centre halfs gave their goalie an easy day of it.

Motherwell, while still not the finished article, are the best team we have played for ages. They have a strong spine to their team and when they get a right back and a right sided wixe player will be back challenging for the top 4 again.

Being disappointed about losing 1-0 at the league runners up is just a sign of how far this side has moved on.

Osbourne was probably the best of the bunch in the first half. Second half was chalk and cheese compared to what had went previously. The subs did well and the midfield got a grip on the game.

1,200 or so Jags fans was a great turnout. Similar numbers against the skunks next week but hopefully we will find our voices backing a better all-round performance ;)

Just watched the highlights on you tube:

For the goal, we're all over the place. Balatoni tries to stop the cross at left back, O'Donnell seems to be at Left Centre back and Muirhead is over at right back and Fraser seems to be in there too. if Conrad has comitted himself, our defence need to cover for him

But i'm not critical. Every mistake is a learning experience. I'm sure Archie will go over this. No matter how good a defender you are, you need to be organised at the back.

We had our moments though.

next time ..........................................................

Best of luck boys - we're still proud of you all!

Edited by gerrybritton9