Team Vs. Cowdenbeath

ThickAsThieves

These threads are a lot more interesting when it's a cup tie vs. lower league opposition, especially after a loss. Gives us the chance to freshen things up a little and rotate the squad. Who would you go with and why?

Fox

O'Donnell - Muirhead - Gabriel - Taylor-Sinclair

Osbourne - Forbes

Lawless - Craigen - Higginbotham

Baird

Subs:Gallacher, Kerr, Fraser, Elliott, Doolan.

Muirhead dropped out for the Ayr match, so Balatoni can this time so that Gabriel gets some game time to keep him ticking over, as he's not going to break the Muirhead/Balatoni league partnership any time soon. Give Forbes a start to stake his claim for the weekend, as well as Higginbotham who I imagine will start against St. Mirren. Swap Baird in for Doolan and see if he can grab a goal. Only contentious issue for me was whether to give Bannigan a game to get over what I felt was a poor performance yesterday, or give him a rest altogether. I've went for the latter.

Over to you.

• Like 1

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Taylor-Sinclair

Kerr Bannigan

Lawless Forbes Higginbotham

Doolan

I think we will be along these lines on Tuesday. Archie has said we will go full strength but I think he will make a few changes. Higginbotham is a certainty to play from the start. I think also he will give Forbes his chance.

Hoping we can do much better than last few seasons in the cups. Would be great to have big day out if we can progress.

These threads are a lot more interesting when it's a cup tie vs. lower league opposition, especially after a loss. Gives us the chance to freshen things up a little and rotate the squad. Who would you go with and why?

Fox

Osbourne - Forbes

Lawless - Craigen - Higginbotham

Baird

Subs:Gallacher, Kerr, Fraser, Elliott, Doolan.

Muirhead dropped out for the Ayr match, so Balatoni can this time so that Gabriel gets some game time to keep him ticking over, as he's not going to break the Muirhead/Balatoni league partnership any time soon. Give Forbes a start to stake his claim for the weekend, as well as Higginbotham who I imagine will start against St. Mirren. Swap Baird in for Doolan and see if he can grab a goal. Only contentious issue for me was whether to give Bannigan a game to get over what I felt was a poor performance yesterday, or give him a rest altogether. I've went for the latter.

Over to you.

Wouldn't argue too much with that team at all, although Archie might want to tinker a wee bit with the subs.

Fox

Osbourne - Kerr

Elliot - Forbes - Higginbotham

Baird

Subs:Gallacher, Balatoni, Bannigan, Lawless, Doolan.

I'd like to see this line up but I don't expect it all to happen. Despite the number of changes the team is still strong enough to see off Cowdenbeath.

Edited by northernsoul

Fox

SOD-Gabriel-Muirhead-ATS

Kerr-Bannigan

Lawless- Forbes- Higginbotham

Baird

A midfield 3 of Osbourne, Kerr, and Forbes was too static against Ayr, so I think one of Bannigan and Craigen will play. Higgy will start, probably toss a coin between Doolan and Baird, Kris scored a few against them last year but Baird might need more minutes on the pitch to try and get in the team for Saturday.

Fox

SOD-Gabriel-Muirhead-ATS

Kerr-Bannigan

Lawless- Forbes- Higginbotham

Baird

A midfield 3 of Osbourne, Kerr, and Forbes was too static against Ayr, so I think one of Bannigan and Craigen will play. Higgy will start, probably toss a coin between Doolan and Baird, Kris scored a few against them last year but Baird might need more minutes on the pitch to try and get in the team for Saturday.

Archie will probably start Elliott and could rest Lawless. Bannigan could/should be rested too. A midfield 3 of Kerr, Forbes, Osbourne/Craigen is likely.

I'd like to see some of the fringe players getting a game, so something like:

Fox

SOD - Muirhead - Gabriel - ATS

Kerr - Osbourne

Higginbotham - Forbes - Elliott

Baird

McDaid should get some game time as well. That team should still be strong enough for a Cowdenbeath side on a bad run.

That's exactly the team that I had in mind. Colina could get a place on the bench too.

Kerr/ Osbourne partnership kills our style. We need at least one of those two players to be Welsh or Fraser regardless who we are playing. So I'd go with that team except put Fraser in for Kerr. Will also give that partnership more time to gel incase Welsh isn't back for St Mirren - which I think is likely.

I agree with resting Lawless and Bannigan, as well as giving Gabriel, Baird and Higginbotham a start. Hopefully Mukendi can get some game time. I'd also maybe play Gallacher in this one. A few teams use their spare keeper in cup games to keep their fitness up. He's more than capable, especially against Cowdenbeath.

What are the odds for Kane Hemmings to score? Would be worth a punt.

Fox

Kerr - Osbourne

Baird

McDaid should get some game time as well. That team should still be strong enough for a Cowdenbeath side on a bad run.

That's similar to the team that struggled big time against Ayr, so they would need a big improvement. I'd like to see Doolan & Baird playing together

Fox

Kerr - Osbourne

Baird

That's similar to the team that struggled big time against Ayr, so they would need a big improvement. I'd like to see Doolan & Baird playing together

Kerr/ Osbourne partnership kills our style. We need at least one of those two players to be Welsh or Fraser regardless who we are playing.

I agree with resting Lawless and Bannigan, as well as giving Gabriel, Baird and Higginbotham a start. Hopefully Mukendi can get some game time.

agree with these points of jaggy and r'n'y ..... kerr and ozzy in same team doesn't work, and doolan playing just behind and off baird, coing in from wing (or the two interchanging these roles, to drag defenders out of position) could have merit.

so ..... fox, sod, aero, gabriel, kwikfit, ozzy, higginbotham, 2 from forbes/craigen/elliott/colina, doolan, baird

O'Donnell's evidently got a slight knock so assuming it's still too early for McMillan then I suppose Osbourne would cover at right back.

I don't think Archie will make sweeping changes maybe bringing in Gabriel at the back and starting with the midfield & attack that ended the game on Saturday..

where's this news about SOD? Worrying but aye Osbourne would probably be 3rd choice RB as he played there for Aberdeen- can't see him bursting forward with any great purpose though.

Archie has stated that he's '"desperate" to win this game and progress, so I'd expect to see maybe one or 2 changes to our starting 11.

We won't see this team, but I'd like to see this one out there just to try out something a little different.

Fox

Fraser - Osbourne

Baird Craigen Higginbotham

Doolan

Edited by Paulo

With SOD likely to be rested to make sure he's fit for Saturday, I think we'll probbaly see this team:

Fox

Muirhead -- Gabriel -- Baltoni -- ATS

Fraser - Osbourne

Elliot -- Craigen - Higginbotham

Baird

I was tempted with the idea of our under-20s full back getting a run out but I think Archie is too concerned about progressing to the next round to do that.

It's also possible we'll see Kerr in instead of Fraser. Comments above about it being a poor combination are forgetting how far off the pace Osbourne was due to lack of fitnness (which is no longer the case, he looked good v.Motherwell) and Kerr played not bad v. Ayr despite this. Not saying I'm totally convinced by him but he's decent cover for Welsh/Bannigan)

Edited by Mr Bunny

I was tempted with the idea of our under-20s full back getting a run out but I think Archie is too concerned about progressing to the next round to do that.

I was thinking the same thing and wouldn't mind Meechan starting with Muirhead alongside him. It would be a great experience for him and considering he'd be the only U20 squad player starting, I wouldn't think it'd hamper our chances of progressing much.

Having said that, I expect Archie to line up with Muirhead - Balatoni - Gabriel - Taylor-Sinclair at the back now.

How long until McMillan's due back anyway? Chance of being fit for St. Mirren?