Isaac Osbourne

Jaggernaut

As I haven't seen a match yet this season, I'm curious to know how the new players are fitting in with our style of play. I know that Baird's finishing has come in for some criticism, but I definitely think that he'll get off the mark soon, as he does a power of work (judging from the video highlights). Everybody seems to think that Higginbotham has brought something new and desirable to the team. How about Osbourne? Solid? Reliable? Should he go straight in against his former club, Aberdeen, or might they know of some of his flaws?

When he played alongside Fraser vs. Motherwell, we were too deep and didn't have any penetration, so we lost the midfield battle. Alongside Bannigan, I think their contrasting styles compliment each other nicely. Osbourne is predominantly the type to break up play, go in hard but fair for challenges, and win aerial battles. Although he does occasionally get involved further up the pitch. We know how Bannigan plays, so to have them sitting next to each other offers the right balance in the middle of the park.

He looked very good on Saturday. I would probably retain him for the Dons match but Archie might swap him for the captain.

Only made it to Motherwell Away annoyingly this season. My season ticket is still waiting in the office to be picked up. Was hoping to see Fraser but I agree him and Osbourne were not working right but Fraser never hid and was always dropping deep to collect ball from Fox so hope he still gets a chance. Osbourne is a bit like Paton, solid and sits in front of the defence while in an ideal world I would like our midfielders to be fluid, one going up, the other protecting and vice versa.

He was excellent on Saturday. Teamed up well with Bannigan and probably had a major influence on Stuart being a very strong contender for MotM. What may happen often will be Osbourne starting a game and if we require to push forward he'll be subbed for a more attacking midfielder.

We started the season lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Welsh & Fraser in central mid. If you play Osbourne then he'll lie deeper and the other centre mid can play further forward and allow someone else to play a free role.

Welsh, Fraser, Craigen and Bannigan have all started the season playing great football so Archie has to leave someone out to accommodate Osbourne. Difficult decision and it might be Isaac starts away from home and is on the bench at home tho' for other reasons he may start against Aberdeen.

Osbourne is better than Paton.

My choice of midfield 3 would be Welsh, Osbourne and Bannigan.

Unless Craigen's performances start to dip, I think it'd be wrong to drop him. He's been great this season, the wee touch back to Higginbotham for our first was lovely. I've not got a clue who I would go for against Aberdeen. Maybe just keep the same team and bring Welsh onto the bench.

• Like 1

Unless Craigen's performances start to dip, I think it'd be wrong to drop him. He's been great this season, the wee touch back to Higginbotham for our first was lovely. I've not got a clue who I would go for against Aberdeen. Maybe just keep the same team and bring Welsh onto the bench.

I'd be happy with that but I'd swap Baird for Doolan.

Does he fit into our best midfield 3? Not sure, personally I'd have Bannigan, Welsh & Craigen.

Contradicting my earlier post as Archie appears to favour whoever is wearing the jersey as opposed to horses for courses (if we can still use that expression). Craigen, Osbourne & Bannigan were superb on Saturday and as our next game is against Aberdeen would strengthen my opinion that Archie will start Osbourne with Welsh and Fraser on the bench.

I honestly don't know our strongest midfield. I doubt even Archie is sure. For once tho' that's a great problem to have.

• Members

I've been hugely impressed with James Craigen so far this season. With all the new signings, I was sure he'd be the one to make way first. But there's no way you could leave him out of the side at the moment and with a bit of goalscoring coaching, i reckon he'd easily hit double figures each season.

• Like 2

I've been hugely impressed with James Craigen so far this season. With all the new signings, I was sure he'd be the one to make way first. But there's no way you could leave him out of the side at the moment and with a bit of goalscoring coaching, i reckon he'd easily hit double figures each season.

I've only been at the Hearts and St Mirren games but I agree about Craigan- really surprised me to be honest

Thought Fraser was good against Hearts too though slow to get up and left a big hole for the goal but otherwise very tidy

Bannigan obviously outstanding- amazed we kept him, he has so much potential

Osbourne looked like Fraser- tidy and competitive

Sure beats previous teams where the midfield was just something the centre half booted the ball over

From the well and saints games ive been impressed but he's obviously not 100 percent fit given he's been subbed after 60 mins both games. Ill reserve judgement till then but looking strong and wants to get stuck in with tackles. Craigen more affective attacking wise than the rest but welsh was superb in the games I've seen him this season, composed and enjoying the extra time you get in the ball in this league.

It's great having too many good players than not enough in previous years.

Craigen has always been technically very good. I just didn't think he imposed himself enough at times last season but he's certainly stepped up this year.

Seems to be a huge favourite of Archies. He must have started about 80/90 per cent of games since he's started. He's also never subbed because he doesn't tire. Got some energy.

Also seems like a top boy which makes it all the more pleasing.

• Like 1

I worried for Craigen. He was clearly to use the vernacular over the moon re winning the league. I really thought his only chance of getting serious game time with us this season would've been if we didn't get promoted. He played really well as last season progressed but I considered the SPL would be a step too far. Had visions of him going out on loan.

Anyway couldn't be so far wrong. To progress the way he has would've been hard enough within the same division but to achieve what he has so far in way of performances is astounding. The Arch sums up my opinions on James more than adequately. Who would've thought a few months back we'd be nearly all agreeing that Craigen can't be dropped for Welsh, Osbourne, Forbes or a couple of others?

I worried for Craigen. He was clearly to use the vernacular over the moon re winning the league. I really thought his only chance of getting serious game time with us this season would've been if we didn't get promoted. He played really well as last season progressed but I considered the SPL would be a step too far. Had visions of him going out on loan.

Anyway couldn't be so far wrong. To progress the way he has would've been hard enough within the same division but to achieve what he has so far in way of performances is astounding. The Arch sums up my opinions on James more than adequately. Who would've thought a few months back we'd be nearly all agreeing that Craigen can't be dropped for Welsh, Osbourne, Forbes or a couple of others?

One thing I noticed as the last season progressed was that he was covering more and more ground, passing better and better, and tackling harder and harder. It's great to know that he's stepped up to the SPL and taking it in his stride. He has played an important direct part in a couple of our goals. Hope he keeps it up, and chips in with a few goals of his own.

Don’t think he is 100% fit yet still more to come. He will really come into his own when the heavy ground come in to play. The big problem I see for him is he is a little injury prone, he is going to find hard to get back in with the competition we have in the this area. Fraser started well but one bad game and he is out.

On Craigen I think he can get 7 or 8 league goals this year. He had a good header saved against Hearts and one that just went over the bar against St Mirren. Pretty sure he will improve as the season goes on.

Osbourne has looked quite good in games so far but, as others have said, may not yet be 100% fit.

As far as Craigen goes, his form does not surprise me. His work rate is second to none, is strong tackling, a good passer of the ball and will score goals. I already tipped him (as well as Potty Trained) for this season's POTY a few weeks ago. http://www.wearethistle.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8491-poty-2013-14/

His performance in the league winning match at Falkirk last season was one of the best I've ever seen in a Thistle jersey.

• Like 1