Scotland - Belgium

The Cup

Lee Wallace and Scott Thomson have made this squad. The only thing that could make me more disappointed would be Ian Black in the squad as well.

Wallace plys his trade in the 3rd tier of Scottish football and Thomson is mediocre in a poor Hibs team.

I see that Strachan is just another nodding head for the SFA.

If Belgium had their full team out then this could be embarrassing.

Our players are unlikely to called up this early in the season. Maybe once they have proved themselves a bit longer in the premiership it's possible, but i doubt it, even though we know how good they are. Some like ATS and Banzo have real potenitial, but I fear they will have to move on from us before they are considered good enough

I wonder who will get into this Scotland team from our squad first? Taylor-Sinclair to solve the left-back problem? Aaron Muirhead to solve the centre-half problem? Stuart Bannigan? Stevie Lawless? Scott Fox? Sean Welsh?

It's only a matter of time before one gets the phone call...

Probably James Craigen or Isaac Osborne, as they're English.

The Belgium team is quite unreal at the moment, full of quality. Can't believe the likes of Burke, Thomson and Wallace are in our squad.

I hope Rhodes gets the nod for this game - he's consistantly scored for five seasons now. I also really like Snodgrass and Dorrans' determination any time they play. With Dorrans and Morrison out maybe McCormack will feature - certainly been on fire for Leeds. Forrest is one player I really dislike, the amount of attacks that break down when he gets the ball must be about 90%.

Got a feeling we'll be getting gubbed.

Lee Wallace and Scott Thomson have made this squad. The only thing that could make me more disappointed would be Ian Black in the squad as well.

Wallace plys his trade in the 3rd tier of Scottish football and Thomson is mediocre in a poor Hibs team.

I see that Strachan is just another nodding head for the SFA.

Re the SFA, see this from a few years back:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7582025.stm

So the last time England had a transfer extension to first Monday of September, we followed suit because "It would seem to make sense to assist our clubs and ensure that they are not disadvantaged in any way when trying to sign players prior to the deadline"

However this year they choose not to ... what has changed? This affected several Scottish clubs, including ourselves, who were looking to sign English league players but couldn't because they would wait till Monday to see if better offers.

It appears the SFA no longer think it's their job to support the teams in this country (with one exception of course).

Re the SFA, see this from a few years back:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7582025.stm

So the last time England had a transfer extension to first Monday of September, we followed suit because "It would seem to make sense to assist our clubs and ensure that they are not disadvantaged in any way when trying to sign players prior to the deadline"

However this year they choose not to ... what has changed? This affected several Scottish clubs, including ourselves, who were looking to sign English league players but couldn't because they would wait till Monday to see if better offers.

It appears the SFA no longer think it's their job to support the teams in this country (with one exception of course).

All down to Sevco i think this time. It would have shortened their 'punishment' by 1 transfer window

There is just no way that someone playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football should be in the full international squad. Thomson, as has been pointed out, is hardly setting the heather alight at Easter Rd. It's hard to fathom the thought processes that would bring either of them in, especially Wallace as he is not a replacement for either Morrison or Dorrans. Unless Strachan fancied one of them for left back. Complete joke. At least we won't have to listen to "Super" Ally greetin about Wallace not being in the squad. When you are on the same footballing wavelength as McCoist you should chuck it.

• Like 2

I never like when players pull out due to minor injuries. Their always fine when the club games are along. Bannigan must be fairly confident of his place in the team, to pull out with a minor injury. For his own progress in the game, it is vital he plays regularly for the under 21's. It's a good way to get noticed.

And while I don't think Wallace should be in the team, I also think Sinclair is a poor shout. Not international level yet.

I wouldn't necessarily say any of our players are ready to step up to international level just yet. However, it is a right slap in the face for every Scottish fullback plying his trade in the so called SPFL to be overlooked for a player playing in the third tier of Scottish football. I happen to think Wallace is actually not a bad player, however I seriously doubt he can make the step up from the so called First Division to an international game against one of the top rated sides in the world at present. Put plainly, it is an obvious and pathetic sop to Sevco and the hordes of Mordor who follow them. As for Thompson, other than being an ex-H*n, I fail to see how he justifies his selection. It's decisions like this, that make me seriously question the degree of freedom a Scotland manager possess when selecting his team. I can see that in days gone by it would have been necessary, if not justifiable to include a certain number of Rangers players to guarantee a crowd. However, I would have thought those days were long gone, apparently not.

Craigan can play for scotland and I am assuming balatoni can as well through the schooling rule.

Mcgregor is out now as well. Call up for fox?

Craig Samson is in to cover for McGregor's absence (along with Matt Gilks and David Marshall, who will most probably start).

Calling up Thomson and Wallace is certainly bizzare, cosndidering where they are in their career just now. Wallace maybe less so, given the lack of options at left-back. Even so, the boy Anya from Watford can play left-back (I think) as can Charlie Mulgrew and Steven Whittaker. I'd have had Tom Cairney of Blackburn in the squad ahead of Thomson.

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily say any of our players are ready to step up to international level just yet. However, it is a right slap in the face for every Scottish fullback plying his trade in the so called SPFL to be overlooked for a player playing in the third tier of Scottish football. I happen to think Wallace is actually not a bad player, however I seriously doubt he can make the step up from the so called First Division to an international game against one of the top rated sides in the world at present. Put plainly, it is an obvious and pathetic sop to Sevco and the hordes of Mordor who follow them. As for Thompson, other than being an ex-H*n, I fail to see how he justifies his selection. It's decisions like this, that make me seriously question the degree of freedom a Scotland manager possess when selecting his team. I can see that in days gone by it would have been necessary, if not justifiable to include a certain number of Rangers players to guarantee a crowd. However, I would have thought those days were long gone, apparently not.

I usually avoid watching sevco on the telly but had no choice in a pub that night they humped Airdrie. Missed most of it fortunately but what I saw - and sevco made some nice moves - surprised me in one way. It seemed really slow. Not just slow compared to the Premier league we're in now but I'm sure most first division games I saw last season were played at a much higher tempo. I just don't see any player no matter how good being able to adjust to that higher pace quickly.

Edit to add re my comment re pace. The one game in the SPL where I didn't see Thistle play with their usual pace and tempo was that first half of the Motherwell game where we looked really poor. But this emphasises my point: if you can't match the pace of the bigger league you get found out. Then playing top international level you go up against guys who are quick, strong and think much faster than most of our players.

Edited by Mr Bunny