Jags V Hibs

The Cup

It's never too early to talk about the Jags.

I think Archie and Shaggy were still deciding on what our best midfield and attack is until recently.

Combinations of Lawless, Forbes, Osboune, Elliot, Welsh, Craigen, Bannigan, Fraser, Higginbotham, Baird and Doolan have all been tried at some point.

Maybe swapping Lawless for Elliott, I would say that the one that started against St Johnstone is probably it.

One we get a settled team we'll start getting wins.

It's never too early to talk about the Jags.

I think Archie and Shaggy were still deciding on what our best midfield and attack is until recently.

Combinations of Lawless, Forbes, Osboune, Elliot, Welsh, Craigen, Bannigan, Fraser, Higginbotham, Baird and Doolan have all been tried at some point.

Maybe swapping Lawless for Elliott, I would say that the one that started against St Johnstone is probably it.

One we get a settled team we'll start getting wins.

You may have something there.

Intersting that with that midfield, our current defence and Doolan up front, we effectively have last season's first team with Osborne and Higginbotham as direct replacements for Paton and Erskine.

My one question would be how Bannigan and Higginbotham line up. Higginbotham seems to play naturally wide, but sometimes I think this can restrict ATS overlapping runs and I quite like Bannigan there.

Edited by allyo

You may have something there.

Intersting that with that midfield, our current defence and Doolan up front, we effectively have last season's first team with Osborne and Higginbotham as direct replacements for Paton and Erskine.

My one question would be how Bannigan and Higginbotham line up. Higginbotham seems to play naturally wide, but sometimes I think this can restrict ATS overlapping runs and I quite like Bannigan there.

Bannigan and ATS have a great understanding.

Higginbotham normally plays wide right if Lawless isn't in the starting XI. We might have to mix things up a bit in the not too distant future. Other teams know we've full backs who charge forward and a second line attack who cut in to be on on their good foot.Erskine thru the middle was unplayable at times last season. We obviously can't emulate that against superior opposition with or without Erskine but I feel there could be some mileage in handing Higginbotham a freer role especially if we've Welsh & Osbourne to cover when Kallum loses possession.

One of the plus points of our squad is that most of the midfield and attacking players can play multiple roles. Think we'll be able to mix things up nicely when familiarity sets in.

• Like 1

With 2 games up north and Celtic (who a lot of folk will want to skip) Hibs is the only game a lot people will be able to go to until November 9th.

With this in mind hopefully a decent turnout- 5,000 + would be decent on a Monday night.

Hopefully a decent turn out at all home games. Get behind Archie and the team.

Why do you say that?

Not sure exactly what thebiglemon was getting at but as I see it there's three or four reasons why some of the Jags support may give it a miss tho' I'd imagine it would be more likely a combination of some of them..

1/ Game is on TV

2/ It's played at an unpopular time.

3/ Home games against the ugly sisters involve more hassle

4/ Flaregate

I'll be going but then again I've a season ticket. If tho' I was told that my season ticket was only valid for 18 instead of 19 home games I've a strong suspicion this would be the game I'd opt out of attending.

If Archie has properly looked at Hibs, he will know their inability to handle set pieces and general balls into the box. With that in mind, I really think Forbes should be on the park. Almost all their goals conceded are from long balls and set pieces - which isn't really our style. I think Hibs set themselves out to win games, with two out and out strikers, so it is the type of team we can really hurt going forward.

I'd keep foxy/ gallacher and the back four plus Welsh/ Osbourne. Then I'd have Higginbotham Craigen and Forbes, with Doolan up top. I'd imagine Lawless coming on after about an hour for Forbes and then Elliot for Higginbotham or Craigen depending if we're chasing or holding the game. Also think Baird should get a run out for the last 20-25 mins as Doolan knocks his pan in so can't really go the 90 mins effectively

Not sure exactly what thebiglemon was getting at but as I see it there's three or four reasons why some of the Jags support may give it a miss tho' I'd imagine it would be more likely a combination of some of them..

1/ Game is on TV

2/ It's played at an unpopular time.

3/ Home games against the ugly sisters involve more hassle

4/ Flaregate

I'll be going but then again I've a season ticket. If tho' I was told that my season ticket was only valid for 18 instead of 19 home games I've a strong suspicion this would be the game I'd opt out of attending.

I think our Scottish Cup replay against Rangers (the club that died) a few seasons ago suffered from two out of four of those points (both being on Sundays too) yet about 5-6000 Jags fans must have been there. We're playing well (I think) and we haven't played Sellick for a decade. I think most fans will want to show up and support the team. Maybe it will be different if we get crushed by Hibs and ICT before then, but I'm not anticipating that...

I don't have a season ticket and will be there along with my son. I also have some Burnley-supporting Jags-sympathetic friends visiting that weekend (travelling up after the Clarets have put QPR to the sword on the Saturday) and they are keen on going along. I'm sure we'll have a good support and in fact not a lot of Thistle fans will skip it. Time will tell.

Why do you say that?

I'll be skipping it and I've got a season ticket - games against Celtic are not pleasant affairs - mainly down to being outnumbered at Firhill (by a support that's brings unwelcome 'baggage').

There's a slight chance I might have gone had it been a Saturday but a Sunday lunchtime kick-off is the final nail in the coffin.

Edited by Charlie Endell