Lucky, My Arse

Firhillista

The 'corner' was never a corner - for a corner to be taken, the ball has to be kicked by one player who can't then kick it until another player has touched it. There's no way that the guy who put the ball within the corner triangle 'kicked' the ball in any sense of the word. Not only did the ball not move, the AR told Craigen to move back. The only mistake made was that the AR didn't wave his flag like a madman whenn Foran headed off towards the penalty box.

And the 'goal' that was headed in with Fox lying on his back on the line wasn't a goal either. Inverness knocked Fox over FOUR times at corners: it's not allowed and the ref should have hammered them for it.

Apart from hitting the post, Inverness have nothing to complain about. They played the game in their usual fashion - long ball up the park and hammering into the opposition at every opportunity. Their players might be mostly English currently, but they're still a bunch of caber throwers.

That was a very professional performance from Thistle and we should be delighted and proud of them. Luck had bugger all to do with it.

• Like 7

Hey - get real guys - for once we got the breaks ! on analysis their corner was played correctly within the rules and the goal should have stood, if it was our team then we would have been pretty miffed as well, so the luck we have been without so far this season evened itself out a bit today, yes we have been playing a nice brand of 'fitba' but our luck hasn't been too good, especially at Firhill, lets all just be thankful ;)

Hey - get real guys - for once we got the breaks ! on analysis their corner was played correctly within the rules and the goal should have stood, if it was our team then we would have been pretty miffed as well, so the luck we have been without so far this season evened itself out a bit today, yes we have been playing a nice brand of 'fitba' but our luck hasn't been too good, especially at Firhill, lets all just be thankful ;)

That corner was NOT within the rules. If it was, then every time a player tees up the ball for any kind of spot kick, the opposition should dive in and boot it away. I've watched countless Thistle games when we've had the breaks and a hell of a lot more when the only luck we've had is bad - that was not a lucky win, we deserved everything we got from that game.

• Like 1

The linesman sent craigen away as he said they hadnt taken the corner, doran wda never got near the box if craigen had been allowed to tackle him. It's a total non issue and non starter as far as controversial incidents go in football matches, which is annoying that sportscene tonight n terry butcher etc will say its why they lost.

I would have been furious if goal had stood, as craigen realised what they were up to, went to close them down, was sent away by officials, as he felt corner hadnt been taken yet, end of discussion no goal get it right up yae

• Like 2

The linesman sent craigen away as he said they hadnt taken the corner, doran wda never got near the box if craigen had been allowed to tackle him. It's a total non issue and non starter as far as controversial incidents go in football matches, which is annoying that sportscene tonight n terry butcher etc will say its why they lost.

I would have been furious if goal had stood, as craigen realised what they were up to, went to close them down, was sent away by officials, as he felt corner hadn't been taken yet, end of discussion no goal get it right up yae

aye thats how I seen it, Craigen was right over then told to go away, the guy would not have had a free run into the box. if the linesman had flagged right away then there would be no issue. at the end of the day their keeper cost them the points with that howler. Not so Brill from Dean!

I would have been furious if goal had stood, as craigen realised what they were up to, went to close them down, was sent away by officials, as he felt corner hadnt been taken yet, end of discussion no goal get it right up yae

to be fair to butcher,he said on sky after final whistle that it wasn't the reason they lost,he thought they had enough possession and chances to win it.

The 'corner' was never a corner - for a corner to be taken, the ball has to be kicked by one player who can't then kick it until another player has touched it. There's no way that the guy who put the ball within the corner triangle 'kicked' the ball in any sense of the word. Not only did the ball not move, the AR told Craigen to move back. The only mistake made was that the AR didn't wave his flag like a madman whenn Foran headed off towards the penalty box.

And the 'goal' that was headed in with Fox lying on his back on the line wasn't a goal either. Inverness knocked Fox over FOUR times at corners: it's not allowed and the ref should have hammered them for it.

Apart from hitting the post, Inverness have nothing to complain about. They played the game in their usual fashion - long ball up the park and hammering into the opposition at every opportunity. Their players might be mostly English currently, but they're still a bunch of caber throwers.

That was a very professional performance from Thistle and we should be delighted and proud of them. Luck had bugger all to do with it.

The number of times that Fox was clattered by the ICT players was unbelievable. At the Inverness goal Warren came over the top of one of his team mates, if it had been a defender that would not have stood either. Good result from the team that wanted to play football today.

I suspect that 50% of refs would have allowed it to stand and 50% disallowed. If it had been the other way round and we had tried that, we would be raging now. So in a way, yes we were lucky. That said, we've not had much luck so far, so maybe this was payback, however that should take nothing away from a brilliant team performance. From Fox to Dools every player played their part and there can be no failures. Credit to Archie for getting the tactics spot on.

• Like 3

Credit to Archie for getting the tactics spot on.

Indeed. They were getting in behind us too easily early on. We fell deeper, tightened up and counter attacked with quick, slick passing. We've got a good team and good coaches, and they're all maturing together.

Firhillista is spot on, today had hee haw to do with luck. A beautifully engineered victory.

I'm afraid that's the price we pay for beating a team managed by one of the Scottish media's favourites, just pure coincidence he used to be Rangers captain of course. To cut the big man a wee bit of slack. I doubt he had much input. Still back to happier things, its really, really grand to be proved right again by this great side. Some of our play today was truly outstanding at times O'Donnell and Sinclair were like extra forwards. Surprisingly(not) I've read nothing accusing O'Donnell of being rubbish as was the case after the defeat by the Hibs. Today was the first away match I've missed all season and it was interesting to see how many plaudits we received from the likes of Dodds and Robertson, I'm sure that even now Chick Dung is scrambling to eat a nice big helping of humble pie (again!), mind you knowing him you never know. A word to for the gallant band who traveled north. your support was outstanding, if you just listened to the TV you would have thought we were at home :fan: .

Really don't know what the fuss is about. The linesman can quite clearly be seen shaking his head as if to say no to the Inverness player when he's telling him he's "taken" the corner then,when already pointed out in this thread,the linesman sends craigen away... End of.

• Like 1

Talking of luck, Warren won a watch by not being adjudged to have committed a foul when he used his team mate as a climbing frame to get up and stay up for his headed goal. I suspected so at the time, and now that I've watched it a few times I'm 100% sure he got away with it.

Far too much focus on our alleged luck, in my view.

I don't know what constitutes a place or a corner kick having been taken. I've seen several versions mentioned - It doesn't really matter. The critical point was the AR's instruction to Craigen to move 10 yards back. If he had not been moved back the passage of play would have been different.

Maybe we were a little lucky. If the linesman had been thinking on his feet and had used the time before Inverness put the ball in the net to compile a self-justifying narrative allowing the goal to stand (and explaining why he had not flagged sooner), then maybe he could have used the difference between the ball moving and the ball turning a revolution. If I have correctly understood the various statements of the rules which have been posted, if the ball has been moved then the corner is deemed to have been taken. However, it is only when it has turned a revolution that the defender can encroach within 10 yards and challenge. So if Draper moved the ball less than one revolution, the linesman could have said correctly that the corner had been taken but equally correctly say to Craigen that he could not encroach until some other Inverness player (in this case Doran) had moved the ball further to complete the revolution (this is sounding a bit Marxist). I suspect that this is crediting the linesman with too much intelligence, but do you see what I mean? [No idea why this came out in italics].

• Members

if the ball has been moved then the corner is deemed to have been taken. However, it is only when it has turned a revolution that the defender can encroach within 10 yards and challenge. So if Draper moved the ball less than one revolution, the linesman could have said correctly that the corner had been taken but equally correctly say to Craigen that he could not encroach until some other Inverness player (in this case Doran) had moved the ball further to complete the revolution

Your perception is wrong. The ball is in play as soon as it is touched and moves. The old rule was it had to move through it's full circumference before anyone else could touch it. (Exiled Aus Jag will correct me if I'm wrong).

If the rule was such that a defender can only play the ball once it has taken a full revolution, what is stopping an attacking team with a 1-0 lead from doing the same but never playing the ball a second time? Site would be sending letters to FIFA if the above definition was accurate.

If the rule was such that a defender can only play the ball once it has taken a full revolution, what is stopping an attacking team with a 1-0 lead from doing the same but never playing the ball a second time? Site would be sending letters to FIFA if the above definition was accurate.

Something I haven't seen mentioned, I honestly believe that if Craigen had gone in and cleared the ball after he'd been waved away then he'd have been booked.

• Like 1