Jaggernaut

As a keeper, I have to say that I thought Bonnar was talking p*sh in the following regard:

Bottom line is that when the attacking team place a player 'on the keeper' it is (more often than not) to obstruct the keeper coming to do their job - under Law 12, two offences are flagged those being (a) the unspecified 'goalkeeper offences' and (b ) impeding a player/obstruction without being in control of the ball.

Both of these aspects are picked up further down the examples of the law where: "It is an offence to restrict the movement of a goalkeeper by unfairly impeding him e.g. at the taking of a corner kick"

For Bonnar to suggest that Fox somehow builds himself up so he can in some way wrestle his way round one of these obstructing players is nonsense.

It's up to the ref and AR to spot these offences and get them flagged - not for Fox to risk selling a penalty.

The trouble is that Scottish officials aren't inclined to punish any bodychecking on goalkeepers: they see it as normal, even although, by and large, it is punished in countries where a more attractive type of football is played. Go figure!

Folk of a certain generation (like my Dad) always put Ledgerwood as a better keeper........ he even scored for us

Even with the rose-tinted specs of nostalgia I could not agree ! I saw him play many times. A very good keeper, yes, but better than Rough or Niven or Walker ? I'm afraid not.

The trouble is that Scottish officials aren't inclined to punish any bodychecking on goalkeepers: they see it as normal, even although, by and large, it is punished in countries where a more attractive type of football is played. Go figure!

Not according to the Caley game... Fox was well protected by the officials and rightly so. I haven't seen any examples this season where Fox has been unfairly impeded and he wasn't awarded a foul (that then led to a goal).

Edited by mhs

Not according to the Caley game... Fox was well protected by the officials and rightly so. I haven't seen any examples this season where Fox has been unfairly impeded and he wasn't awarded a foul (that then led to a goal).

That's true. One of the few things that the officials got right that day. :)

• Like 1

Rough, John Arrol (briefly but very effectively), Nicky Walker, Craig Nelson are the keepers that have impressed me the most - others have, to some degree, flattered to deceive.

If Arrol hadn't broken his leg, tragically,Rough would never had got back, Arrol was performing brilliantly and his leg break, IMO, caused us top ten that year.

Even with the rose-tinted specs of nostalgia I could not agree ! I saw him play many times. A very good keeper, yes, but better than Rough or Niven or Walker ? I'm afraid not.

My dad said that Ledgerwood was a character, fine keeper but had some howlers. His party piece apparently was when coming for a cross against an opposing centre forward he would punch the ball and player, so said player would be flat out.Hahah!! My dad personally thought Niven was a GREAT keeper. He said Rangers let him go too early and Thistle benefited,

My dad said that Ledgerwood was a character, fine keeper but had some howlers. His party piece apparently was when coming for a cross against an opposing centre forward he would punch the ball and player, so said player would be flat out.Hahah!! My dad personally thought Niven was a GREAT keeper. He said Rangers let him go too early and Thistle benefited,

Niven was the Thistle keeper that I grew up watching, and I thought he was great, especially given that he was a wee punter. Mabawser, also from the Govan mob, was fat and clearly past it/uninterested when he replaced Niven.

Of course, with all these great goalkeepers mentioned thus far, surely one of the best keepers we have ever produced is Billy Thomson. Although, being second to Roughie meant he hardly ever played for us but still made Under 23 squads at the time and went on to have a good career.

Good shout. Went on to win 7 full Scotland caps when he was at St Mirren (ain't Wiki great sometimes!). Only got 1 full team appearance for us?

If Arrol hadn't broken his leg, tragically,Rough would never had got back, Arrol was performing brilliantly and his leg break, IMO, caused us top ten that year.

I'm just being pedantic but Jackie Campbell replaced John Arrol :thumbsup2:

And I think Scruffie was immense but I also feel Scott Fox is working his way towards that status. I felt Paddy Bonnar was trying to be supportive and helpful as he sees the potential is there for a really good keeper.

How many of you that are worried about Foxy not coming out of the six yard box remembers the days we all panicked when Scruffie decided to stray well outside his eighteen yard box playing sweeper keeper (or similar) :frantic:

Proud to be a Jags Fan. :fan:

I'm just being pedantic but Jackie Campbell replaced John Arrol :thumbsup2:

And I think Scruffie was immense but I also feel Scott Fox is working his way towards that status. I felt Paddy Bonnar was trying to be supportive and helpful as he sees the potential is there for a really good keeper.

How many of you that are worried about Foxy not coming out of the six yard box remembers the days we all panicked when Scruffie decided to stray well outside his eighteen yard box playing sweeper keeper (or similar) :frantic:

Proud to be a Jags Fan. :fan:

I remember the save he made in that cup game.Drew, then typical Thistle lost the replay??

I remember the save he made in that cup game.Drew, then typical Thistle lost the replay??

Brilliant save it was too. Aye, lost 0-1.

Roughie was already our established keeper by that time, but Auld seemed to take a scunner to him and Arrol got quite a long run of games. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't got injured.

Of course, with all these great goalkeepers mentioned thus far, surely one of the best keepers we have ever produced is Billy Thomson.

I'd disagree with you there - he was a competent-to-good keeper that tended to over egg the saves - he dived at absolutely everything! - and also had a fair few baws-ups.

Nowadays if a keeper makes a spectacular diving save that wasn't really necessary we'd say 'get the cameras oot'

... back when I was in primary school in the late '70s we'd say 'billy f*kin thomson' ... still liked him though (as I used to play at st joes primary on garscube road) and to emulate him I used to make an over-egged diving save onto every passback and shout 'Thomson!!' (ahhh the days when you could pick up a passback and waste loads of time diving around on red ash pitches - instead of getting leathered with a brutal mitre mouldmaster ball :shok: happy days!)

Anyway for those interested I've attached an old vid that sums up both Billy and the Scott Fox conundrum - watch the unnecessary dive at the free kick (56 seconds) ... swiftly followed a few seconds later by his outrushing at a corner and missing it completely - do we really want Foxy to be doing that?

I shared a taxi home with Campbell Money one night last season, talking about players n stuff and he said without a shadow Billy Thompson was one of the best keepers he'd seen... That was my "in", the rest of the journey was about discussing Thistle.

The Girlfriend was gutted sharing a taxi with a st mirren legend talking about thistle's promotion campaign.

Edited by potty trained

I shared a taxi home with Campbell Money one night last season, talking about players n stuff and he said without a shadow Billy Thompson was one of the best keepers he'd seen... That was my "in", the rest of the journey was about discussing Thistle.

The Girlfriend was gutted sharing a taxi with a st mirren legend talking about thistle's promotion campaign.

Money talks, Dave.

• Like 1

Superb if the newspaper claims come to fruition. Fox has been excellent this season and I have no doubt the TV coverage we have had will have raised his profile. I can think of 5 or 6 excellent saves he had made in the recent live games alone.

Well done Foxy now celebrate by keeping a clean sheet tonight.