Taylor-Sinclair

marco77

Article in todays Sun that Celtic are scouting/keeping an eye on ATS. He is out of contract at the end of the season so can talk to clubs as of January. If he goes then Bannigan can fill in but is he a long term replacement?

Heard the Celtic rumour about a month ago. reckon he could easily step up. Would love him to stay, but the reality is that we are not in a position to keep players long term. If he goes, and he will go somewhere, as long as he gives his all for the remainder of the season, then we can't be unhappy.

and if he's honest with the club, it gives us time to find a suitable replacement.

and if he's honest with the club, it gives us time to find a suitable replacement.

As far as I'm aware, he's been pretty clear from the summer that he definitely won't be signing a new deal, which I think is fair enough.

One good thing is that he won't be moving to a rival as such. It will be Championship, English Premier at a push or Celtic I imagine. He was quoted recently as saying that he wanted to try down south.

This is a position we're weak in. Bannigan can step in for cover but I doubt it's a position he'd want to play in for any length of time. Besides I'm not sure Stuart's tackling is anywhere as crisp as ATS. McMillan would be OK I guess and he can fair get up and down the park but a naturally right sided player is likely to disrupt the balance of the side in attack. Dale Keenan is possibly a full season away from challenging ATS. The fact he captains the U20s perhaps hints at his maturity but I doubt our management would want to risk his development by throwing him in too soon.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

What age is he - would we be eligible for compensation?

Same question for Lawless I suppose...

Taylor-Sinclair is 22 and will be 23 on 8th April. My understanding is that we will be entitled to compensation if he is offered a new contract. He does not need to sign the contract for compensation to be payable. Montrose may be entitled to a part of the fee if a sell-on clause was included in that deal.

ETA - The same applies to Lawless but Motherwell released him and would not be entitled to anything.

Edited by kni

Dale Keenan is possibly a full season away from challenging ATS. The fact he captains the U20s perhaps hints at his maturity but I doubt our management would want to risk his development by throwing him in too soon.

I've always quite liked the look of Keenan; he carries the ball well and can glide past players when in full flight. However, I would certainly agree with your estimation that he's a season away - could do with a loan deal where he's playing every week at left-back; at East Fife last season, he was in and out of their team and played a few games at left midfield, I believe.

Just a quick word on Sinclair - not surprised in the slightest that he's garnering interest, he has been magnificent so far this season. We've been very fortunate to have some excellent left backs in recent years: Twaddle, Boyle, Bannigan (albeit temporarily) and of course Sinclair. Hopefully we can unearth another one.

Andrew Robertson, only 19, was the stand-out LB in the lower leagues last season. IIRC there were rumours that we wanted him but, unfortunately, McNamara took him to Tannadice. Celtic will /should be looking at him too but he would probably cost more than ATS.

Edited by kni

Keep hearing same thing about young players not being up to the task , look at the likes of Ryan Gauld, so surely Dale Keenan could step up to take Sincy's place, one thing is sure.

Just because one incredibly gifted footballer has broken through at Dundee United does not mean that Dale Keenan is good enough to make the step up.

Just gotta hope we keep up the high standard of left back signing we've made in the past. We've been thoroughly spoiled in that position. Archie's known since summer he'd need a replacement eventually, so hopefully has his eye on a few.

whats happenning with Ziggy Gordon at Hamilton, sure he's on the last year of his contract.

We would have to pay substantial compensation for Gordon if Hamilton offer him a new deal on the same or better terms. I had assumed that we could not afford a big sum - probably well into three figures as Bradford were ordered to pay Falkirk over £200k for Mark Stewart.

Typically, Dundee United used the amateur loophole to avoid paying anything to the Spiders for Robertson and Aidan Connolly.

Taylor-Sinclair is 22 and will be 23 on 8th April. My understanding is that we will be entitled to compensation if he is offered a new contract. He does not need to sign the contract for compensation to be payable. Montrose may be entitled to a part of the fee if a sell-on clause was included in that deal.

ETA - The same applies to Lawless but Motherwell released him and would not be entitled to anything.

Only if he moves to a club in Scotland.

If he moves outwith the country, we'd get nothing.

I heard his missus used to be a Tart before they got married.

Indeed she was. The lovely Mandy T was often seen with the great man (Stephen Hendry that is, not the one some of you might be thinking of) in her local club - the now defunct Marton Mens Social Club, Blackpool) as he provided impromptu exhibitions to the delectation of the locals. This was mainly in the late '80s before they were married and had weans.

(Apologies for the thread hijack, peeps)

What kind of compensation would we get if he goes to Celtic?

For his own good I hope he goes to England, loads of clubs down there have been linked with him, Cardiff were one of them a while back.

*Insert usual moan about not signing a new contract with a comparitively small release clause so we get some money for him*

Fair play to the lad his game has certainly improved this season. I'm sure there will be others being watched by bigger clubs. However this has always been the case at thistle , players moving on, players coming in, young lads getting their chance.

But you know what for the the first time in a long time I know that we as a team are on the right track.

We play good attractive attacking football with young ambitious players so we can expect the cream to move on to better teams

So let's enjoy our football we have the nucleus of an excellent squad and management team