Scottish Cup 4Th Round

jagscast

Why bother posting nonsense like that?

7 goals conceded, and none scored, in 2 games against Aberdeen without Balatoni is significant. Take a look at the goals that Aberdeen scored. If Balatoni had been in the side, I doubt that the Dons would have scored three in those games.

ETA - Piccolo played in the 4-1 League Cup loss, replacing Muihead, at Tannadice. So that's 11 goals conceded in Piccolo's last 3 starts. He's clearly not SPFL standard.

Edited by kni
  • Like 1

7 goals conceded, and none scored, in 2 games against Aberdeen without Balatoni is significant. Take a look at the goals that Aberdeen scored. If Balatoni had been in the side, I doubt that the Dons would have scored three in those games.

The three in the first game?

last night he wouldn't have made one bit of difference. so that sort of ruins your point.

The three in the first game?

last night he wouldn't have made one bit of difference. so that sort of ruins your point.

I edited my above post to add that he replaced Muirhead in the 4-1 defeat at Tannadice. That's 11 goals conceded in the last three games that Piccolo has started. To me that's a big difference, a huge negative one.

I edited my above post to add that he replaced Muirhead in the 4-1 defeat at Tannadice. That's 11 goals conceded in the last three games that Piccolo has started. To me that's a big difference, a huge negative one.

But it's garbage. There is no way you could watch last night's game and put the loss of the goals down to Piccolo. Edit to add that the same is pretty much true of the goals conceded to United. Or did Gabby make Conrad slip when Goodwillie got his first?

Edited by David Stevenson

But it's garbage. There is no way you could watch last night's game and put the loss of the goals down to Piccolo. Edit to add that the same is pretty much true of the goals conceded to United. Or did Gabby make Conrad slip when Goodwillie got his first?

He failed to match zola's run for his goal. Not the only one at fault but he could have done better.

I think he could turn into a good centre back with more experience.

I could edit you post further to note that Gabriel didn't put a foot wrong at Tannadice, extra commendable considering he was coming under scrutiny following the Aberdeen game. Balatoni by contrast played poorish up there and was responsible for the loss of the first goal.

But it's all about opinions and I believe it's better to take on board comments from posters who attend the specific matches in question. But of course that's just my opinion.

• Like 2

The second goal was a gift. McGinn's cross could have been cut out and there was no challenge on Zola who was able to tap in easily. McGinn was allowed too much space for the fourth - barely challenged . Both were soft goals to concede.

The second goal was a gift. McGinn's cross could have been cut out and there was no challenge on Zola who was able to tap in easily. McGinn was allowed too much space for the fourth - barely challenged . Both were soft goals to concede.

I've already agreed he could have done better at the 2nd, but the problems started there with Banzo failing to follow Pawlett into the box (and it was Pawlett's cross, btw, not McGinn). For the 4th, it wasn't Piccolo who was tracking McGinn, it was O'Donnell.

No comment on Conrad's slip at Tannadice? Maybe Gabby sneezed and made Banzo duck at the free kick too... Or maybe you are just ignorantly trying to find a scapegoat.

Edited by David Stevenson

It was a sweet move from Aberdeen for the fourth goal and a PEACH of a cross. I was in line with it and McGinn brilliantly nipped in front of the defence for a cracker of a goal, As for Piccolo, he wasn't the worst player by any means. When Welsh and Bannigan were so poor there was no cover from the midfield for Muirhead and Piccolo. Only Osbourne , again, showed any quality, but was over run by the Dons midfield.We move on and to 3 points against St Mirren

everyone was pish last night. no1 turned up. we seem to save our worst performances for aberdeen

Bit harsh, think Higginbotham, Craigen and Sinclair all did their jobs very well.

No complaints with Osbourne O'Donnell or Muirhead.

Doolan was fine but was cut off for most of the game (not his fault).

Welsh again just ok, this advanced position he has played in the past few games does not suit his style. Both him and Osbourne should play side by side, with the three forward midfielders infront. Our team has too much of a hierarchy with sitting centre backs, forward full backs, one sitting mid, one slightly advanced holding mid, two wide midfielders, a central midfeilder playing off a lone striker. We should be able to work in pairs (2 centre backs, 2 full backs, 2 holding mids, 2 wide mids, then a midfielder of a striker) that way we have a proper shape (like we used to) and very balanced. Our shape is missing with Welsh and Osbourne not playing side by side, and that makes it much easier to find space and leads to these inevitable goals. Aberdeen had a formation that wasn't overly complex and when players are in a more simple shape it makes everything easier.

Bannigan was awful, again.

Picollo made no real mistakes but it has clearly had an impact on the game, with him instead of Balatoni.

To be honest, Fox pulled of that great save but could of done better with Hectors long range and didnt, like last week, spread himself well when he came across for the second. The fourth was one of those that if the keeper saved it would be pure luck but not impossible. In saying that I don't blame Fox as all the attempts should of been stopped by our outfield players.

Alan Hansen always said all goals are avoidable and I think he could use us as a prime example of this. Can't really think of a goal that wasn't simply poor defending or a lack of concentration by us.

Again, we have been good this season, Aberdeen are clearly just a good team, with a clearer tactic that is based on getting the win. Their strength and pace was too much for us in the first game and the same happened last night. Goals change games, and I'm afraid Bannigans contribution, or lack of, for the first two goals is what killed it as a contest.

This is when Archie will earn his corn or not as the case may be. We'll have to look at how easily Aberdeen nullified our tactics, They especially ensured that our support to Doolan was mostly non existent. That said in the second half we started to give them some problems and their taking the foot off the pedal could be balanced by us being fairly dispirited as well.

Yes, it was not a great performance, but as has been said elsewhere we'll play worse and win. Ioso facto, I'm not going to fling my toys out of my pram and despite my initial pessimism, I've seen worse Thistle sides give Aberdeen touble in the past and that was Fergie's Aberdeen who were no mugs.

So keep believing!