January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

I know he carries a lot of baggage, but one player I'd be willing to take a gamble on is Derek Riordan. If he got fit and behaved himself, then I believe he would be a great addition to our side. Probably the best natural finisher in Scottish football in the last 20 years or so.What a waste of outstanding natural ability!

I know he carries a lot of baggage, but one player I'd be willing to take a gamble on is Derek Riordan. If he got fit and behaved himself, then I believe he would be a great addition to our side. Probably the best natural finisher in Scottish football in the last 20 years or so.What a waste of outstanding natural ability!

I thought he was worth a punt at the start of the season. He has well known issues but his experience and natural ability are great.

Not worth a go at this point in the season, especially now we have Taylor.

Last I heard, his attitude still stinks... He turned down Dunfermline and wouldn't appear as a trialist as he apparently didn't want associated with such a lowly ranked club. He was training with Alloa but they wouldn't give him a contract until he got fit enough to play, he didn't do this and Hartley thought he was still a good 4-6 weeks away from fitness!

I think we'd find he's no longer a finisher but finished.

FFS!

if the manager of Alloa (who Riordan has been training with for the last few months) says he is miles away from match fitness, then how could anyone expect him to get a game for us.

Plus he is entirely the wrong kind of player to set an example to our young guys.

http://www.dailyreco...january-3029143

http://au.eurosport....337/story.shtml

Both are more or less the same article, but it would seem Archie is struggling to find players. Was always my concern with him being a fresh manager, not having many contacts, as well as having a pretty poor scouting network too.

Not an easy market for any team in the SPFL, but lets be honest, it hasn't stopped the teams around us really strengthening their squads.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

http://www.dailyreco...january-3029143

http://au.eurosport....337/story.shtml

Both are more or less the same article, but it would seem Archie is struggling to find players. Was always my concern with him being a fresh manager, not having many contacts, as well as having a pretty poor scouting network too.

Not an easy market for any team in the SPFL, but lets be honest, it hasn't stopped the teams around us really strengthening their squads.

Might not be as bad as that. Other clubs with bigger budgets can afford to take risks. They could easily be signing some players that won't fit in. A club with our size of budget can't afford to take a punt. The truth in the article is perhaps Archie is finding it increasingly difficult to get the type of player he wants partly for reasons given but also partly as he's being very choosy.

Archie admitted after the summer window that he may have been too picky with some of the players he could have signed. By all means look for the best players available but we do need a fresh injection in to the squad, even if just until the end of the season. It can't be too difficult to find a half decent CB with experience & a midfielder better than Kerr!

Archie admitted after the summer window that he may have been too picky with some of the players he could have signed. By all means look for the best players available but we do need a fresh injection in to the squad, even if just until the end of the season. It can't be too difficult to find a half decent CB with experience & a midfielder better than Kerr!

He signed Kerr in the Summer so wasn't that picky!!

Think the DR article touches on it when he says about agents offering players.

Been saying for the best part of 6-7 months that Archie doesn't have the connections in the game a McNamara, for example, would have. Even McCall with Kenny Moyes.

We don't have a full time scout, as far as I'm aware, to identify players & for the management team to follow up on.

It's disappointing & the longer this window goes then the less chance I feel we have of bringing in either of the 'couple of players we can add' that Archie mentions.

The quotes from Archie in the article are exactly the same things that Wenger, Mourinho and before them, Fergie said about the January transfer window.

It's historically a notoriously difficult time to pick up the right players, no matter who you are.

It's got nothing to do with Archies contacts, or percieved lack of them.

• Like 1

McNamara had Darren Jackson who was also a football agent helping him track players.

How did that pan out again?

Of the current squad McNamara signed O'Donnell, Muirhead, Taylor-Sinclair, Welsh, Craigen, Elliot and Forbes. His other signings included McGuigan, Murray, McAleer and Craig. Overall, it panned out pretty well IMHO.

I think most people agree that January is a difficult time to bring in players. Unlike the summer, you don't have the luxury of trialing players in pre-season matches. Nor in our current predicament, is it easy to bring in experienced, and half decent defenders, certainly seems most are attached to clubs.

But this is something that should have been addressed in the summer. Even into mid/late August, although we weren't shipping as many goals, it was evident that we had a very thin squad at the back. I'd be more than happy with a loan move until the end of the season, then we can see where we are at in the summer.

The quotes from Archie in the article are exactly the same things that Wenger, Mourinho and before them, Fergie said about the January transfer window.

It's historically a notoriously difficult time to pick up the right players, no matter who you are.

It's got nothing to do with Archies contacts, or percieved lack of them.

That's a myth. Been proven time & time again.

& for what it's worth, I can't see us making too many permanent moves so we should've had a list of players that may have done a job for us instead of waiting for agents to come to us.

The fault does not lie entirely with the management team however. As I've said before, the BoD should be putting a footballing structure in place to help.

For crying out loud, we still have to scrape around long for training facilities!!

I think most people agree that January is a difficult time to bring in players. Unlike the summer, you don't have the luxury of trialing players in pre-season matches. Nor in our current predicament, is it easy to bring in experienced, and half decent defenders, certainly seems most are attached to clubs.

But this is something that should have been addressed in the summer. Even into mid/late August, although we weren't shipping as many goals, it was evident that we had a very thin squad at the back. I'd be more than happy with a loan move until the end of the season, then we can see where we are at in the summer.

Very good points but the budget is the key limiting factor.

Big clubs often lend out development squad players, 19 to 21 years old, for six months until the January window. They are assessed by the coaches and often sent out on loan again for the rest of the season. Daniel Pappoe of Chelsea is just one example.

There could be a few players available, especially towards the end of the month. The manager should take his time, scout his targets fully and only sign players who will clearly improve the squad. He should only take a punt if the lending club is subsidising the deal substantially.

The other issue is whether players in the U20 squad (e.g. Lindsay, McDaid, Wilson and Duggan) are ready to step up to the senior squad.

Edited by kni

The other issue is whether players in the U20 squad (e.g. Lindsay, McDaid, Wilson and Duggan) are ready to step up to the senior squad.

If the manager feels that they are ready, I think by all means they should be gradually introduced into the squad.

But, according to the Record today, our starting XI is the second youngest in the entire SPL, at an average age of 23, compared to the only side younger, Hearts at 22. This seems to suggest we are in desperate need of experience.

Out of interest, St.Johnstone have the oldest average starting XI at 29.