January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

If the manager feels that they are ready, I think by all means they should be gradually introduced into the squad.

But, according to the Record today, our starting XI is the second youngest in the entire SPL, at an average age of 23, compared to the only side younger, Hearts at 22. This seems to suggest we are in desperate need of experience.

Out of interest, St.Johnstone have the oldest average starting XI at 29.

The manager signed Gallacher, Baird and Kerr but they have hardly featured.

That's a myth. Been proven time & time again.

& for what it's worth, I can't see us making too many permanent moves so we should've had a list of players that may have done a job for us instead of waiting for agents to come to us.

The fault does not lie entirely with the management team however. As I've said before, the BoD should be putting a footballing structure in place to help.

For crying out loud, we still have to scrape around long for training facilities!!

100% correct

Latest news from Rugby Park.

"Kilmarnock have extended the loan spells for Celtic midfielder Jackson Irvine and Dundee United forward Michael Gardyne...

"Ismael Bouzid and David Silva agreed short-term deals in September and must prove their fitness to stay on...

"Kyle Jacobs, Mark Stewart and Gary Fisher join Nigerian duo Reuben Gabriel and Rabio Ibrahim in being released by the Ayrshire club."

Edited by kni

That's a myth. Been proven time & time again.

& for what it's worth, I can't see us making too many permanent moves so we should've had a list of players that may have done a job for us instead of waiting for agents to come to us.

The fault does not lie entirely with the management team however. As I've said before, the BoD should be putting a footballing structure in place to help.

For crying out loud, we still have to scrape around long for training facilities!!

It's not a myth. Most clubs who are successful in their dealings in January have to pay thru the nose to get the quality in that they want.

We don't have that option.

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm saying it's very difficult, and it's got nothing to do with Archie having any lack of contacts, which I'm not sure he has anyway.

Edited by brick_top

It's not a myth. Most clubs who are successful in their dealings in January have to pay thru the nose to get the quality in that they want.

We don't have that option.

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm saying it's very difficult, and it's got nothing to do with Archie having any lack of contacts, which I'm not sure he has anyway.

It is of course possible that both Brick Top and Trotter could be correct in as much as Archie may not be lacking in contacts AND the relative part of the Club infrastructure is failing.

Latest news from Rugby Park.

"Kilmarnock have extended the loan spells for Celtic midfielder Jackson Irvine and Dundee United forward Michael Gardyne...

"Ismael Bouzid and David Silva agreed short-term deals in September and must prove their fitness to stay on...

"Kyle Jacobs, Mark Stewart and Gary Fisher join Nigerian duo Reuben Gabriel and Rabio Ibrahim in being released by the Ayrshire club."

Bouzid could be worth a shot, he is experienced and a big lad (6' 3") and plays CB. If Killie don't offer him anything he may be willing to come to us for games. A little concerning Killie are saying he is unfit but he has played a few games and I assume he trains with the rest of the team.

Edited to add... I see Goodwillie's agent is a Ricky Gillies, is this the one that played for us? If so, he will be doing well for himself!

Edited by mhs

http://ptfc.co.uk/ne...eads_to_firhill

Lee Mair signed until end of the season.

Another one Archie wanted back in the summer. He should send his CV to the Mounties.....

My gaffer is a St. M fan. I will seek his opinion, but I don't think Danny Legend has fancied Lee for a while though, and if I recall correctly he was resistant to being shipped out. That said, Danny didn't fancy Carey and he seems to have been one of County's better summer acquisitions.

Here's hoping Lee does the job required!

Edited by David Stevenson

Good signing. It will be a bit early for him to get used to the team (so I don't think tomorrow's game will be without its hairy moments) but his experience hopefully will carry him and the team through and he can be that defensive organiser we've needed.

Would have been really interesting to see how we would have done with him in the team last weekend.

I imagine we wouldn't have been sitting so deep after going 3-1 up.

Would have been really interesting to see how we would have done with him in the team last weekend.

I imagine we wouldn't have been sitting so deep after going 3-1 up.

deep is not the word for it! jeez oh, we nearly had five players joining the singing section at the rear of the north stand for their second goal

I wonder if that's us done now. Here's how I see the team...

Goalkeepers: We're sorted with Fox & Gallacher.

Defenders: Mair's signing brings us to 7 first-team with Lindsay in back-up. [O'Donnell, McMillan, Muirhead, Mair, Piccolo, Balatoni, Taylor-Sinclair]. So that'll be us done there unless Taylor-Sinclair goes in this window.

Midfielders: For two positions we've Fraser and Bannigan as our only natural options (Wilson in reserve) with Welsh out until the Motherwell match and Osbourne out for the season. I'd like to see us sign one more. I'm not even counting Kerr, we should be looking to get rid of him this month.

Attacking midfielders: We've got Higginbotham, Lawless, Craigen, Elliott fighting it out for 3 places. Wouldn't mind another one in here.

Strikers: Taylor, Doolan and Baird is adequate.

So far so good with our New Year signings, imo. If we can get two or even three bodies in I am confident we can retain our top flight status, with or without the need for a playoff ;)

Wouldn't mind another central midfielder and a wide attacking player. Another full-back who can fill in at the back may be advantageous too?

The problem is sourcing these players on our budgets. The only player I can think of to fit any of those roles is Gwion Edwards who was on loan at St Johnstone. Wide midfielder with decent pace.

i see erskine got a start today but was subbed after 53 minutes. not had a good game or not settled at snakedice? would it be worth a phone call from archie to see if there's any chance of a 4 month return to firhill for the bridge?

the spark and difference thats missing ?, to turn our draws into wins and losses into draws? , the missing link between midfield and striker ?

go on archie and beattie, it's worth making a few calls at least ?

don't ask, you don't get .....

i see erskine got a start today but was subbed after 53 minutes. not had a good game or not settled at snakedice? would it be worth a phone call from archie to see if there's any chance of a 4 month return to firhill for the bridge?

the spark and difference thats missing ?, to turn our draws into wins and losses into draws? , the missing link between midfield and striker ?

go on archie and beattie, it's worth making a few calls at least ?

don't ask, you don't get .....

That would be a great move but for the life of me I just can't see McNamara allowing it to happen. He will be on a half decent wage but Erskine, certainly at the moment and solely on a football basis, must be regretting moving up there

That would be a great move but for the life of me I just can't see McNamara allowing it to happen. He will be on a half decent wage but Erskine, certainly at the moment and solely on a football basis, must be regretting moving up there

I think it would be "too soon" for a return.,as in, returning here on loan would infer he's failed at united.

With hindsight I think it would have been best for Erskine's development if McNamara had left him here for a season and told him to prove himself as a Premiership player. Then come in for him this summer.

Of course you can't account for uniteds attacking players early form.

Either way, whilst I'd love to see him again at firhill, as has been proven in a few threads in here, we have an element of ********* in our support, and as such, I don't think he would be given the same vocal support when mistakes occurred.

I don't pay too much attention to other clubs so I could be way out. Could it be possible that McNamara took Erskine as he thought he'd be losing one or two of his flair players like MacKay-Steven? It's just I'm not too sure where Erskine was ever going to fit in

Not that I think it would be likely but I'm split as to whether Erskine returning to us on loan would be good for us. He was superb for us last season when we were pushing for promotion but I'd worry if he'd be the type of player we require when we're down the bottom of the table. On the other hand I believe there's certain players made for one club and Chris I guess could be one.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Erskine would be great, but I don't really think it should be our priority. I'd prefer a midfielder that can play that wing position but carries more strength and grit. We have Lawless/Craigen/Higginbotham/Forbes who are all fairly creative and do cause teams some problems. What we need, is somebody who we can bring on with 20 mins to go, in place of Lawless or Craigen, that can tighten up the team. This is what Elliot is used for currently, but as we all know, he is garbage.

Erskine would be a bit of a luxury.