Big Queues At Tynecastle Today

ian_mac

Just spoke to a mate of mine who was at the game and missed the first goal because of the big queues. Policeman told him that PTFC told Hearts we would only bring 400-500 fans max, hence the reason there were only 3 turnstiles open.

First the Celtic debacle, and now we hear this

Who is making these calls about our travelling support? Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder?

Mate, how is it thistles fault that hearts can't react to an obvious situation 30mins before kick off? I waited 20 mins, got in then noticed 3 supervisor stewards chatting away to each other, regardless of a possible inaccurate fan forecast from our side the stewards and police stood about like spare ones....suppose you wanted Ian maxwell or Beattie working away at a turnstile to get things moving?

Anyway, ground out the result, at last we attack a corner and despite that tool of a ref trying his best to help hearts we held out for the win...

We'll deserved jags, on we go...

Just spoke to a mate of mine who was at the game and missed the first goal because of the big queues. Policeman told him that PTFC told Hearts we would only bring 400-500 fans max, hence the reason there were only 3 turnstiles open.

First the Celtic debacle, and now we hear this

Who is making these calls about our travelling support? Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder?

What was your forecast for how many would be there and did you publicise it. I only saw one on the forum and that was 4 - 500. How many were there ?

What was your forecast for how many would be there and did you publicise it. I only saw one on the forum and that was 4 - 500. How many were there ?

It's not my job to forecast and inform other teams of our potential away support. Are you honestly suggesting that my opinion would have changed anything today?

For what it's worth I would have said that we'd take around 1,000 today

Unfortunately I was in the Q at Tynecastle and it was a shambles. Only 2 turnstiles opened up to 3pm and a further 2 opened at kick off time. I spoke to a steward who said that Hearts had underestimated the number of cash paying supporters. There was obviously no plan B and Thistle cannot be blamed for it. The reason for the queue became apparent when I got to the turnstile as the guy sober a whole minute counting out my 3 x pounds coins and 5x 20p's before slowly ripping a ticket out if the book for me. Who the f**k wants a ticket? We don't do that at thistle! To make matters worse, the guy behind the turnstile next to mine had no change and couldn't let the guy through till change arrived. And this at 3pm? Awful...

I wonder how many tickets were sold from Firhill for this game as the option has been there to buy since mid December, maybe we sold 400 from Firhill and assumed thats all that would travel

It's not my job to forecast and inform other teams of our potential away support. Are you honestly suggesting that my opinion would have changed anything today?

For what it's worth I would have said that we'd take around 1,000 today

No, but you always blame Thistle if things go wrong. If it had happened at Firhill, you would have blamed Thistle for underestimating the numbers. Just out of interest, what knowledge do Thistle have about the numbers that would travel. Maybe 500 was the number of tickets sold. What have our travelling supports been this season - 1200 at M/well; 1600 at ST Mirren; 500 to 800 at Perth; Dundee and Hibs; 200 to 400 at Dingwall, Inverness and Aberdeen. Given that it is Sunday before most folk start back after New Year and there's been 4 games in 10 days or thereabouts, you can see how a low estimate would have been given

• Like 1

There would've been around 600 in the ground at 2.50.

One look outside at 2.40 would tell you the queue was back to where the Hearts shop was.

Then a bus pulls up.

We were just going in the lane at that point & some woman supervisor said it was 'in hand'.

The police were handing out skittles to each other.

Regardless of whether PTFC did or didn't say c400 they should've reacted.

Poor show from both G4S & the police.

If PTFC told Hearts to expect 4-500 travelling fans as opposed to sensibly overestimating the support, then there is some kind of fault that lies with the club as it has probably led to there being 2 (later 3) turnstiles being open for such a sizeable crowd. However the real issue today was apparently a malfunction in scanning the tickets which in turn slowed people down at the turnstiles. These two things combined likely led to the minor shambles that we saw, although I'm still not sure why they couldn't have just opened the other 4 or 5 turnstiles they had for efficiency's sake, even if we were only bringing through 200. Thankfully I was in on time for the #scenes of Lyle Taylor's opener.

Seriously?

PTFC are to blame for ticketing and turnstile problems at an away ground??

If Scotrail did not have any trains on, would that have been the fault of the BoD?

Agree 100% with a previous poster - some folk will have a pop at the BoD at any opportunity, regardless of how ridiculous it is, to suit their own agenda.

Ridiculous thread.

• Like 4

I got into the ground fairly early but you could see if a large away support turned up it was going to get chaotic. Fairly similar to St Mirren in the way that not enough gates are open. I realise that Hearts with their financial woes have to cost cut but that's a dangerous game if it turns folk off from making the trip.

I was pay at the gate but what confuses me is what possible advantage is there buying a ticket at Firhill? You've still got to stand in the same queue. If pre buying a ticket was the equivalent to fast tracking at Disney World then I could understand.

Amazing what a victory and the three points against Hearts can do to some who seem awfully snappy and dismissive towards basic facts that have been backed up all season long from various different forums.

Basic fact: all clubs will communicate with one another and give to them a rough estimate of what the away support will be. Thistle and Hearts will have had that conversation before the game today and if the figures quoted by a policeman outside the game (I myself was 5 yards away from) are true then, whoever at PTFC got the crowd estimate drastically wrong.

Lets not kid ourselves on here, if we had lost the game then this would be far greater an issue than it is on here.

We were in very early and had the choice of turnstiles.

Unfortunately, I picked to one with the under-educated young man behind the desk.

Me - "3 adults, please"

Him - "mmm" " 3 adults?"

Me - "yes - 3 Adult tickets"

Him - "Mmmm" "that's 3 at ....." "Mmmm" "3 at .....that's 60 quid....and another 16.....that's 76 quid, please"

Me - "'fraid not it's 3 at £24 is 72 quid"

Him - "Oh, aye - 72 quid, then"

Goodness knows how long it would have taken if I'd thrown in a couple of concessions as well! :crazy:

from page 2 of hearts v jags thread

couple of dozen either side of 1k

important game, on back of much improved performance, against team where 3 points could go long way to seeing us go on run of form, big performance from players backed by big vocal jags support required, we're all in this together, so unite we must

eta: plus tynecastle is decent stadium, right on top of pitch, good atmosphere generator, plus one of the better away days. all points to around 1k jags. more would be superb. they brought around 2k to us and were loud and gave their team great backing, if we could surpass my 1k prediction, and be louder, we could be the 12th man and the difference.

on the specific subject of the estimated jags support from ptfc (club), and the turnstyles (hearts and g4s)

1. whoever on behalf of the club estimated 400 max jags and informed hearts of this, really does not seem to have an idea about the thistle support or the unity within it and desire to travel to away games this season, in a league against opponents the majority of whom we have not played in many years. it appears the 400 figure was the estimate that was advised to hearts, as like others on this thread, i and others heard police and stewards saying it a couple of times while queuing to jags supporters around us. so either police and stewards were lucky in guessing on the bullshit monitor, and picking the same random figure, or it did indeed originate from within the confines of firhill.

2. when it came apparent to hearts long before 3pm, through the police and g4s stewards that there was going to be multiple amounts greater than 400, hearts and g4s should have redeployed some employees to man the other 6 unopened turnstyles, to get the away support all in by 3pm.

further, in future, hearts should ensure their turnstyle operatives have a proper grasp of english and basic arithmetic. the double turnstyle we were held up at, had two eastern europeans in the booths, and it was clear they were both struggling to grasp the language and the simple mathmatics of adding up. like rid skwerr above, it seems a number of us were further delayed entry to the ground due to the excessively long time it took for them to get each individual through the turnstyles.

in conclusion, ptfc a third to blame, hearts a third to blame, g4s a third to blame, for the shambles today.

You can buy tickets before the game for a reason. You can also turn up early. I recommend using either of these methods when possible and not crying about it when you need to wait in a queue. Fair enough, it's a bit of a shambles, but the reaction is quite hilarious.

• Like 1

from page 2 of hearts v jags thread

on the specific subject of the estimated jags support from ptfc (club), and the turnstyles (hearts and g4s)

1. whoever on behalf of the club estimated 400 max jags and informed hearts of this, really does not seem to have an idea about the thistle support or the unity within it and desire to travel to away games this season, in a league against opponents the majority of whom we have not played in many years. it appears the 400 figure was the estimate that was advised to hearts, as like others on this thread, i and others heard police and stewards saying it a couple of times while queuing to jags supporters around us. so either police and stewards were lucky in guessing on the bullshit monitor, and picking the same random figure, or it did indeed originate from within the confines of firhill.

2. when it came apparent to hearts long before 3pm, through the police and g4s stewards that there was going to be multiple amounts greater than 400, hearts and g4s should have redeployed some employees to man the other 6 unopened turnstyles, to get the away support all in by 3pm.

further, in future, hearts should ensure their turnstyle operatives have a proper grasp of english and basic arithmetic. the double turnstyle we were held up at, had two eastern europeans in the booths, and it was clear they were both struggling to grasp the language and the simple mathmatics of adding up. like rid skwerr above, it seems a number of us were further delayed entry to the ground due to the excessively long time it took for them to get each individual through the turnstyles.

in conclusion, ptfc a third to blame, hearts a third to blame, g4s a third to blame, for the shambles today.the

I forgot your post on the estimated crowd and would agree that that blame could be shared. But at the end of the day it is the individual supporter that should make sure he gets into the ground in plenty of time.