Archie Must Stay: 12 Months In The Job

dl1971

Time for a postive post. Archie has been in the job 12 months now and to my mind has done a great job. Yes, the home form has been incredibly frustrating, but by and large look at where we could be....languishing in the division below!!

I'm fairly certain we will stay up and no one can disagree that the standard of play has been great to watch. The OTT criticsm of Balantoni, Craigen, Bannigan,Muirhead etc has been disappointing, but I understand the modus operandi of forums, that have to cater from the deranged to the infantile to the ill informed.

Lighten up, it has been a great 12 months to be a Jags fan. Bring on the next 5 months

• Like 1

I agree that Archie should be in post until at least the end of this season. Let him see the job through.

Most of the criticism, particularly of Balatoni, Muirhead and Elliot, has not however been "OTT" - it has been perfectly valid. There is nothing wrong with discussion as to why our defence hasn't been up to the job. Hopefully things are on the up (despite another kick in the baws yesterday) as Mair looked solid.

I have to admit, I have been highly confident all season that we'd be 10th at worst - but the last two games and Ross Country's strengthened squad mean I think it's now 50/50. Nevertheless, I don't think changing the manager would help.

Archie was fantastic in getting us promotion and he deserves the season to keep us up. Peoples expectations were maybe too high.for all the lovely football we have in matches, we rarely test keepers at times, samson had 1 save to make yesterday and didnt make it. We in my opinion, the 2nd worst team in this league, and thats where we are in league and where i believe we will finish. The play offs, well it's a lottery but i hope we'd beat whoever we got. I obviously hope for some improvement but i dont see us finishing above anyone but hearts

Balatoni has been criticised to a great degree because our problem most of the season has been on defence and his failures have contributed to costing us a large number of points.

Fair enough but the thread is really about Archie. I'm sure all would agree bad performances have been widespread so I don't see the point in this thread of singling out one individual player.

Regardless of which league we end up in next season, there's no one I'd rather have at Firhill than Archibald.

If we're in the Championship next season we won't even be the third or fourth pick for winning it, anyway.

I'd prefer to have a young man manage the club who is Thistle through and through learning his trade and gaining his experience - rather than some f**king snake who will jump to a 'bigger' club the very first chance he gets, or a berk from the miners country of Fife, or some ex-Old Firm t*sser who'd rather play golf and spout pish about his beloved Celtic than manage, or some ****** who just wants to play hoof-the-baw with journeymen duffers, etc etc etc etc and on and on and on.

• Like 1

Regardless of which league we end up in next season, there's no one I'd rather have at Firhill than Archibald.

If we're in the Championship next season we won't even be the third or fourth pick for winning it, anyway.

I'd prefer to have a young man manage the club who is Thistle through and through learning his trade and gaining his experience - rather than some f**king snake who will jump to a 'bigger' club the very first chance he gets, or a berk from the miners country of Fife, or some ex-Old Firm t*sser who'd rather play golf and spout pish about his beloved Celtic than manage, or some ****** who just wants to play hoof-the-baw with journeymen duffers, etc etc etc etc and on and on and on.

Agree with this 100%.

I still believe we will finish 10th at the worst and firmly believe that Archie is the right man for the club.

Worst case scenario, we get relegated. I still wouldn't sack the guy, as long term I still think he would be the man to lead the club forward.

With regard to the defence being the problem it's not that simple. It's also the case that wer'e not scoring enough goals, despite dominating play in most games. Also the midfield are rarely scoring, so to highlight the defence alone is wrong and especially one guy.

I don't see how going down would be a disaster. We are at best a yo-yo Premiership / Championship club.

We're getting off with automatic relegation because of Hearts but we'll be back in the Championship at some point soon. Maybe the year after next.

If we go down in the playoff it won't be a total disaster. We won't go back up automatically but we will be in the top 4 and get another chance.

This season has been almost the polar opposite of last season. I'm looking forward to it finishing wherever we end up.

If we finish 11th Archie deserves to the end of next season to see if he can get us back up.

I'm not really blaming Archie for yesterday's utterly DISGRACEFUL capitulation. But some of our players are very good in front of their mirrors but not so good against more professional players. Anybody doing a step over before passing the ball to the opposition should be shot. And they are predictable, the other teams must be sniggering at our daft players and their haircuts.

Archie deserves the job for this season and next at least. It will be tough though getting straight back up next season if we are relegated due to Sevco so the best we could hope for would be 2nd place. If we stay up this season, and I think we can, we should have more playing budget next season because we won't have to spend on the pitch and stadium like we did for this season. My only concern is does Archie have the contacts to get the right players in to improve the squad? We are bound to lose ATS, Lawless, possibly Doolan and maybe more.

With regard to the defence being the problem it's not that simple. It's also the case that wer'e not scoring enough goals, despite dominating play in most games. Also the midfield are rarely scoring, so to highlight the defence alone is wrong and especially one guy.

We've started scoring more goals now. The fact we r leaking goals at crucial times is a defensive problem or am I missing the principles of the game?

Congratulations to Archie. When he took over we probably weren't favourites for promotion. He got us here, he's made solid signings, he's continued to play good football, he's put faith in the young guys who I believe will continue to improve and, I think most impressively, he appears to have maintained confidence despite some pretty unfortunate knocks this season. I still think we're looking up but unfortunately we have many fans who only want to look in the other direction.

• Like 1

Archie deserves the job for this season and next at least. It will be tough though getting straight back up next season if we are relegated due to Sevco so the best we could hope for would be 2nd place. If we stay up this season, and I think we can, we should have more playing budget next season because we won't have to spend on the pitch and stadium like we did for this season. My only concern is does Archie have the contacts to get the right players in to improve the squad? We are bound to lose ATS, Lawless, possibly Doolan and maybe more.

Just in case you dont read the papers Admin 2 or at the very least a fire sale is likely to be happening in the South Side. I have 5 Sevco season ticket holders in my work and they are squirming at the poverty of the current Sevco side and management, so much so that they prefer talking about the EPL than their own team. If and its a massive if, we go down I am confident that we will finish above Sevco

Edited by Lindau

Just in case you dont read the papers Admin 2 or at the very least a fire sale is likely to be happening in the South Side. I have 5 Sevco season ticket holders in my work and they are squirming at the poverty of the current Sevco side and management, so much so that they prefer talking about the EPL than their own team. If and its a massive if, we go down I am confident that we will finish above Sevco

I love the thought of them imploding :-) . Maybe the battle for top spot would be tighter than I'm thinking it would be, but based on the size of their fan base their budget would still be much bigger than ours sadly.

There's no one else I'd rather have at Firhill as manager. He knows the infrastructure inside out, every face every nook and cranny of the ground. Every single person at the club respects him. He's only a year into his change of career path, a route he wasn't really ready to take if you think back 12 months ago. I take my hat off to him and what he's done for our club. He's replaced a guy who after 6 months, fans wanted him sacked. But became lorded as a hero... He used to be a Tim but he's alright now... He had to replace his two best players in Paton and Erskine. He's done that with Osbourne and Higginbotham for Christ sake! He's secured a 19 year old from Bolton on a 2 n a half year contract. He's brought in a guy who, if can get himself "90 minute fit" will be one of the best strikers I've seen at Firhill. We needed an experienced Centre a Half, he's got one.

That game yesterday is what being a Thistle fan is all about. Sitting in the pub and the team line ups come out. Balatoni's starting alongside Mair... What about the midfield, who's starting? What, Fox isn't even on the bench? People are buzzing about going to Firhill, not because of the division we are in, but because we are exciting to watch.

That first 45 yesterday was some of the best football I have ever seen, we were unplayable, guys fighting for everything, keeping the ball, comfortable in possession, passing it about, with killer through balls. How often have you seen our Club play the game with such ease? We nullified one of the best strikers in Scotland! I'd pay 20 quid to watch that 45 again, in the stadium, Firhill was rockin yesterday! I had to catch my breath at half time.

We could have Pep Guardiola as manager, we'd still be a bottom of the ladder Premiership club at best. If a new manager were to come in, would that see GB losing his job, as I'm sure a new manager would want his own head of youth development? And then the 10 or so coaches, would they be replaced at Thistle Weir?

People want a new manager, people want us to win at all cost, ditch the pretty football, all so we an play in this division, instead of the division below? What if we get a manager and it turns out that's all he's good at, winning ugly. We could push for Europe with a manager that wins ugly. Imagine the fckin shame of being that bloody team that packs the defence and pumps long balls all day? Imagine paying 20 quid to watch that every week? Fck that!

We have a manager who in his first half season won us the first division title. We weren't going to do that under McNamara. This season, his first pre season, he had his chance to put his own mark on it. He chose his mark to be the manager of a team who, first and foremost plays football, tries to entertain. I don't want to lose this excitement, I don't care what division we play in, I've followed thistle for 25 years and this, this buzz? This feeling of knowing I'm watching players who not just want to, but can get the ball on the deck and ping a 50 yard pass across the park, knowing their team mate is there, anticipating it... And if he can't find an opening, He's got a pass on to move the ball into another part of the park? I don't want to give that up! I don't want to watch, win at all costs, hoof ball. Because we might not always win, we could end up 11th anyway, playing that.

So see this wee group that want Archie out, or want us to start punting it long constantly just so we can survive in the reincarnation of the self preservation league.... Make yourself more vocal at the games, starting calling for Archie's head and see how quickly you're laughed out of town. Idiots, every one of you.

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 13

There's no one else I'd rather have at Firhill as manager. He knows the infrastructure inside out, every face every nook and cranny of the ground. Every single person at the club respects him. He's only a year into his change of career path, a route he wasn't really ready to take if you think back 12 months ago. I take my hat off to him and what he's done for our club. He's replaced a guy who after 6 months, fans wanted him sacked. But became lorded as a hero... He used to be a Tim but he's alright now... He had to replace his two best players in Paton and Erskine. He's done that with Osbourne and Higginbotham for Christ sake! He's secured a 19 year old from Bolton on a 2 n a half year contract. He's brought in a guy who, if can get himself "90 minute fit" will be one of the best strikers I've seen at Firhill. We needed an experienced Centre a Half, he's got one.

That game yesterday is what being a Thistle fan is all about. Sitting in the pub and the team line ups come out. Balatoni's starting alongside Mair... What about the midfield, who's starting? What, Fox isn't even on the bench? People are buzzing about going to Firhill, not because of the division we are in, but because we are exciting to watch.

That first 45 yesterday was some of the best football I have ever seen, we were unplayable, guys fighting for everything, keeping the ball, comfortable in possession, passing it about, with killer through balls. How often have you seen our Club play the game with such ease? We nullified one of the best strikers in Scotland! I'd pay 20 quid to watch that 45 again, in the stadium, Firhill was rockin yesterday! I had to catch my breath at half time.

We could have Pep Guardiola as manager, we'd still be a bottom of the ladder Premiership club at best. If a new manager were to come in, would that see GB losing his job, as I'm sure a new manager would want his own head of youth development? And then the 10 or so coaches, would they be replaced at Thistle Weir?

People want a new manager, people want us to win at all cost, ditch the pretty football, all so we an play in this division, instead of the division below? What if we get a manager and it turns out that's all he's good at, winning ugly. We could push for Europe with a manager that wins ugly. Imagine the fckin shame of being that bloody team that packs the defence and pumps long balls all day? Imagine paying 20 quid to watch that every week? Fck that!

We have a manager who in his first half season won us the first division title. We weren't going to do that under McNamara. This season, his first pre season, he had his chance to put his own mark on it. He chose his mark to be the manager of a team who, first and foremost plays football, tries to entertain. I don't want to lose this excitement, I don't care what division we play in, I've followed thistle for 25 years and this, this buzz? This feeling of knowing I'm watching players who not just want to, but can get the ball on the deck and ping a 50 yard pass across the park, knowing their team mate is there, anticipating it... And if he can't find an opening, He's got a pass on to move the ball into another part of the park? I don't want to give that up! I don't want to watch, win at all costs, hoof ball. Because we might not always win, we could end up 11th anyway, playing that.

So see this wee group that want Archie out, or want us to start punting it long constantly just so we can survive in the reincarnation of the self preservation league.... Make yourself more vocal at the games, starting calling for Archie's head and see how quickly you're laughed out of town. Idiots, every one of you.

Excellent post.

And there it is. Exactly what I am talking about. The rest of your post was great, but the pretentious moral highground you occupy during that last sentence is a joke.

Every person on this forum bar none, want Thistle to do well! They just have differing opinions on how to do that. They are no more, or no less a supporter than you.

• Like 1