Stuart Bannigan

Veejag

Thought about starting this thread myself.

Gary Fraser was great and he scored the goal, so I don't grudge him MoM, but Stuart Bannigan is a fantastic footballer and he did not put a foot wrong today. For me he is the biggest influence on the way we play and the success we've had, and it's brilliant to see him proving it in the premier league. Putting him on a two year contract was a brilliant piece of business.

Is this the same player that took no end of abuse in certain quarters from being too negative, needing dropped and has went backwards?

For what it's worth I think he is a real prospect and could play at a higher level if he can add a bit more to his game in particular goals.

He is still young and will be inconsistent but he should start to control games in the next year if he is going to fulfill his potential.

Hope he does and we get the benefit of it before the season ends and he helps steer us to safety.

• Like 1

Went through a rotten spell earlier in the season where he was pulling out of tackles & generally looked lost. I'm putting that down to him being played out of position, AM is just not his position & since he's reverted back to a deeper role he's been back to his best, covering well for the loss of Osbourne. Also appears to be supremely fit, the amount of running he does is incredible at times.

• Like 1

1st name on team sheet for me. He keeps the ball well and drives us forward. We now have good options middle to front, Fraser getting fitter, another who keeps the ball well and has a shot on him. Prince came onto a game as well.

I hope we go doolan, Taylor with banzo, Fraser, erskine and the prince next game....that prospect excites me.

Stuart was never the same player after he came back from the young Scotland squad. He used to be able to go at defences and have an end product, sometimes a goal. Nowadays the confidence is missing from his game very seldom do we see the runs and final shot. The stupid foul card collection reflects the missing self belief that has got into his game, if this doesn’t come back then the potential he has will be lost, and he will go the same as so many others. As for bossing the midfield, naw, that’s why we can’t stop the ball or breakdown opposing attack.

yeah he was my MOTM yesterday. I watched the game back last night and thought he looked even better, some folk might see him as a bit negative passing the ball across or backwards but he keeps the ball moving. aye his bookings are a pain but he's toughened up and often gets 'good yellows' as such, chopping the guy, stopping the play and letting our defence get back into position. if only McMillan had done the same to Robertson they might not have scored.

Went through a rotten spell earlier in the season where he was pulling out of tackles & generally looked lost. I'm putting that down to him being played out of position, AM is just not his position & since he's reverted back to a deeper role he's been back to his best, covering well for the loss of Osbourne. Also appears to be supremely fit, the amount of running he does is incredible at times.

Pretty much word for word what i was going to post. He's better deeper, coming to get he ball off the centre halfs and carrying it. When he's pushed up behind the centre forward he's lost.

Pretty much word for word what i was going to post. He's better deeper, coming to get he ball off the centre halfs and carrying it. When he's pushed up behind the centre forward he's lost.

Agree. I think the versatility tag he's picked up is misplaced or misunderstood. Stuart's played left sided forward and defensive roles well, wasn't too bad at right back either, but I view that more as part of his learning curve (kinda like the traditional Dutch development tho' more by circumstance than deliberate) and there's little doubt that his strongest position is as described by chunky jag.

One problem has been in playing Bannigan in that withdrawn central role he's been asked to contribute too much physically. If Stuart could tackle like say Osbourne we'd have a million quid plus player on our books (or rather would've had). Just be grateful we have this lad signed up for another season and hope he always has a suitable ball winning midfield partner around to allow him to do what he does best..

What a pleasure it was yesterday to see two very young guys, in arguably the most important position on the park, play like that. Bannigan is without doubt one of the best central midfielders I've seen at firhill and we will be lucky to have him for another season. The way they dominated the match in the 2nd half against far more experienced opponents in that position was fantastic to watch and I can only hope that we will get at least another couple of years to enjoy them.

Thought Bannigan was great yesterday and has been pretty much since he got a rest through suspension, and was moved back to a more defensive position in midfield.

One thing I do wish is that he could mix up his passing a wee bit. Sometimes feels as if the only pass he looks for is Sinclair. Although it's an effective tactic, a bit of variety wouldn't go amiss.

This boy is definitely special. He is everywhere in the midfield, allows his fellow midfielders to play with a bit more freedom, covers when a defender goes forward, always looking for the ball.....but struggles with his tackling. We are a much better team with Bannigan in the side.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart was the best player on the park today, when we where on top today it was his simple passes to ATS, CE and KH that got us moving forward. In between it was his tireless work to shut the opposition midfield down that helped break their play down.

He, like a few others, must be wondering about whether he made the right decision to stay on for another season.

It'll be a miracle if this guy is still with us next year.

On a tremendous run of form, bossing midfields and still so young.

Great prospect.

he didnt get a chance at the kiddy fiddlers. thistle signed him and gave him a chance. like the way n the fact he signed a 2yr deal to get us money if he moves. i know for a fact he wid extend his deal to make sure teams have to pay us a good fee. he wont want was to go to this u23 tribunial shit Edited by The Mighty Quinn