Motherwell V Partick Thistle - Firpark - Saturday 15 February - 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

I have seen him play for the U20s and I have seen Craigen "play".

Fair enough. He brought muirhead on vs Ross county and got criticised for forcing us too deep. Lawless, as much as I'm a fan of, would probably have offered even less when we know Motherwell are going to throw the kitchen sink at us. The other 2 are totally untried and he'll get pelters if he puts them on and they make a mistake. If he says there was injuries and he had to make a change, you have to believe him, and if that is the case craigen is, like it or not, his best option.

• Like 1

My first away game of the season - very late decision to go and despite the horror ending, I'm glad I went - it was a cracking game of football after a dull opening thirty minutes. Thanks to the Thistle fan who gave me a spare ticket at the ground - happy not to spend my own money on Motherwell after they disgracefully voted us out of the SPL when they had avoided relegation on a vote the previous season...yes I still bear a grudge.

I don't really like watching the game from behind the goals - can't really see what's going on at the far end though not much happened up there in the first half other than a slick move for Erskine to score. I haven't been a fan of Balatoni but he played well in the first half though later on he was beaten too easily a couple of times when forwards ran at him - not for the first time this season. But the main problem seemed to be down the right side of our defence - Motherwell got to the bye line a few times and those final two goals came from long balls from their right wing to the far post. Apart from the first half of his debut against Dunfermline last year, I haven't been impressed by McMillan.

Nor have I seen much from Bauben so far - dreadful backwards pass to give away possession which cost us the second goal and he also missed a very good chance.

Fraser, Bannigan & ATS were very good and Erskine and Higgy ran brilliantly at their defence - Kalum's second goal was sensational.

Then those substitutions...I'm not convinced that Taylor is better than Doolan - Kris might have been on earlier. Couldn't believe when the two players who were causing Motherwell so many problems were taken off particularly when they were also able to hold possession in Motherwell's half- it completely handed the initiative to them Bauben & McMillan seemed obvious candidates to go off. Muirhead at right back would have been a shrewd move, O'Donnell would have been useful or Lawless...but we got the mandatory appearance of Elliot.

I have still to see us win this season...but the most frustrating thing is we are very close to being a very good side and we have thrown away probably at least 15 points this season - we should be comfortably clear of relegation worries. Motherwell had a shot which took a huge deflection and looped into the net...we had a shot from the same position which was the most blatant hand ball since Jim Goodwin's save at Firhill - it sums up our season.

Still if we do end up in the play-off spot, I have no doubt we will totally outplay the opposition, have 75% possession, 45 shots at goal, 25 corners...and lose 1-0 to a free header from a set piece in the last minute.

• Like 1

FWIW, it seems to me that this team really isn't very good at defending, but was told to do so and hit on the break from the start. As a result, the first 20 minutes or so was largely turgid long-ball stuff on a very muddy pitch, during which period we gave the ball away incessantly. I don't think that kind of approach plays to our strengths, particularly in those poor conditions. Once the passing game began, then we started to move ahead.

Both sides of the defence, but particularly the right side, looked weak, and those were where Motherwell's chances and goals were coming from. In my opinion, McMillan in particular was exposed and there seemed to be little backing for him from midfield. If Higginbotham and Erskine are going to swap wings, then they'll have to be better organised than this.

Given that when Elliott and Craigen were brought on, we were in the lead in the final 10 minutes and didn't seem to have any more need for creativity further up the park, the substitutions were understandable, although in the end they led to our downfall.

A special mention for the referee, Euan Norris, who funked out of what should have been an early booking for handball in the first half, gave Motherwell a free kick for backing into and falling over one of our players in midfield and, of course, didn't see the handball in the box - unlike everyone else in the ground. (That's probably why he felt obliged to give a penalty soon after, when ATS was brought down rather theatrically, despite not looking as if he'd reach the ball he'd pushed too far ahead.)

The message from all this? It's time to encourage more attacking football from the start: this team is better at it.

The referee was definitely not Euan Norris. He has a respectable amount of hair. Official site must be wrong on that one. According to BBC, referee was Stephen Finnie, and for once they might be right.

Damn two deflected goals. A clear handball penalty and resultant sending off not given but sloppy defending for the equaliser, Mair should have attacked the ball. Still we do look as though we can score goals. I thought Fraser and Bannigan were excellent in midfield. I do think Doolan should be starting but that McManus clearly fouled Taylor time after time using his arms most of the time to block off Taylor

• Like 1

Well, I think my weeping has subsided and my teeth have been gnashed until I have to more gnashing to gnash. Equally, my wail of lamentations have been heard throughout the land! So in the cold light of a Sunday morning what can we say about yesterday, well for one Supporting Thistle, has certainly not gotten any easier or predictable since that day nearly forty years ago that I first darkened the terraces of Firhill. Yesterday's result was up there with the best nearly, but not quite reaching the pain of the Rangers semi-final defeat on 4th April 1979. Just typing the date brings it all back, far too painful to remember!

Getting back to the present, we lost to a late goal to the team third in the division, sore as it was and distraught as it left me it was not the end of the world, even if it felt like it for a time Similarly, we go in to next weeks game with nobody, even our own supporters expecting anything out of the game, so we have a game with no pressure , except of course that we put on ourselves with our failure to win at home. The crunch game is a week on Saturday when we travel north to Dingwall, it'll be the most important game of our season to date and in all likelihood we'll have to win it. Lose that game and play-offs here we come, simples,

Well, I think my weeping has subsided and my teeth have been gnashed until I have to more gnashing to gnash. Equally, my wail of lamentations have been heard throughout the land! So in the cold light of a Sunday morning what can we say about yesterday, well for one Supporting Thistle, has certainly not gotten any easier or predictable since that day nearly forty years ago that I first darkened the terraces of Firhill. Yesterday's result was up there with the best nearly, but not quite reaching the pain of the Rangers semi-final defeat on 4th April 1979. Just typing the date brings it all back, far too painful to remember!

Getting back to the present, we lost to a late goal to the team third in the division, sore as it was and distraught as it left me it was not the end of the world, even if it felt like it for a time Similarly, we go in to next weeks game with nobody, even our own supporters expecting anything out of the game, so we have a game with no pressure , except of course that we put on ourselves with our failure to win at home. The crunch game is a week on Saturday when we travel north to Dingwall, it'll be the most important game of our season to date and in all likelihood we'll have to win it. Lose that game and play-offs here we come, simples,

Agreed. Just watched the highlights, and the defending for their 3rd and 4th goals was just woeful. Erskine and Higgy looked great earlier on. We gave them much too much space on the right side, and could have been punished even more. Motherwell aren't 3rd in the league for nothing, they keep going at lesser teams such as ourselves until something gives. Our problem is that we are chronically fragile at the back, regardless of who is playing in defence. And on the odd occasion when the defence more or less holds it all together, neither our midfielders nor our forwards can score often enough to win the game. Twice we've scored 3 goals away from home and have failed to win either match. Head-scratching since the start of the season, and even more so now, since the new guys haven't actually changed what's going on on the pitch.

Lose that game and play-offs here we come, simples,

Not quite as simple as that given the end of season split. We will meet all the teams around us at that and a good run of games with perhaps Welsh back as well and we could see ourselves alright. The important thing is not to lose sight of the teams above us to give ourselves a good footing.

Not quite as simple as that given the end of season split. We will meet all the teams around us at that and a good run of games with perhaps Welsh back as well and we could see ourselves alright. The important thing is not to lose sight of the teams above us to give ourselves a good footing.

Wishful thinking, I fear. How long will it take him to get match fit, before he breaks down again? I'd actually forgotten about him, and don't expect him to contribute any more. Hope I'm wrong there, but somehow I just don't see him saving our season.

Agreed. Just watched the highlights, and the defending for their 3rd and 4th goals was just woeful. Erskine and Higgy looked great earlier on. We gave them much too much space on the right side, and could have been punished even more. Motherwell aren't 3rd in the league for nothing, they keep going at lesser teams such as ourselves until something gives. Our problem is that we are chronically fragile at the back, regardless of who is playing in defence. And on the odd occasion when the defence more or less holds it all together, neither our midfielders nor our forwards can score often enough to win the game. Twice we've scored 3 goals away from home and have failed to win either match. Head-scratching since the start of the season, and even more so now, since the new guys haven't actually changed what's going on on the pitch.

What you talking about Willis?

You've got to laugh.. reading the comments from those watching on the web or where ever, was right out of Skys "count down to disaster" only we've made it easy for any crime scene investigator. All you have to do is scroll back to "Elliott and Craigen", then its CRASH BANG WALLOP, The end

You've got to laugh.. reading the comments from those watching on the web or where ever, was right out of Skys "count down to disaster" only we've made it easy for any crime scene investigator. All you have to do is scroll back to "Elliott and Craigen", then its CRASH BANG WALLOP, The end

All some people need is two read those two names and then YANK they pull out the string and spew forth the same tired SHITE.

Just watched the highlights..........

Fantastic going forward, should have more, great to Erskine banging the badge when he scored

Defense still can't deal with a dead ball when its crossed in, and they seemed to have tons of room on the wings going forward not sure what our wing backs were doing or whether they were getting sucked in.

Scoring 3 away to motherwell is got to be a positive