The Worst Referees Ever ?

Camallain

Is suppose there is a tendency to look back at things of a by gone age with rose tinted spectacles……. Summers were better, football was more exciting, Mars bars were bigger, music was worth listening to and referees were not as bloody appalling as they are in this day and age. But is that actually the case?

After yet another horrific refereeing display in yesterdays game with St Johnstone, this time by Scotland’s “best referee” I have finally convinced myself that the standard of refereeing we have been enduring this season has been by far the worst in my four and a half decades of attending football matches. It seems to be the case that just when you feel you have witnessed as biased & deplorable a display as you are ever likely to see by an official that the next game throws up a performance which is even worse!

Craig Thomson proved yesterday that his performance in the opening day fixture against Dundee United was no fluke as once again he showed just how shambolic a referee he can be, but he is certainly not alone in that department. Brian Colvin, Willie Collum, Bobby Madden, Kevin Clancy and John Beaton all stand guilty. And these are just the ones that spring to mind!

But am I right to say this is the worst crop of referees ever? After all we all remember Les Mottram, Jim McGilvary, Dougie Hope, John Robotham and the never to be forgotten Brian Cassidy. What I would suggest is that in years gone by we always seemed to have the odd decent official, something sadly lacking today! I’m not saying that they were pro Thistle, it’s just that you had faith in the fact that they would play it fair to both teams. Names such as Brian McGinlay, Hugh Williamson and Kenny Hope (you will note there are fewer of the good guys) would fall into that category. I’m sure some of you will think even these guys were also bad but given the other list above…….

So what’s the verdict? Has this season given us the worst crop of referees ever?

Edited by Camallain

I agree, the standard of refereeing we see week in week out is abysmal. I honestly cannot pick out the worst from a very bad bunch. To be fair to referees I can't but help think the reason is the interminable tinkering aroun with the Laws of the Game, much of it at the behest of broadcasters that have achieved something I thought impossible i.e. make a simple game, complex. For example, when I was a boy (a while ago admittedly!) the Laws of the Game took up a few pages of the "Wee Red Book", now they take up 142 pages of the FIFA website! Know a game millions where brought up to play and understand, has been complicated for goodness knows what reason.

Brian Cassidy was the worst ever for me. He was a guy that gave Thistle absolutely nothing even in the most blatant of cases! An absolute shocker. Buster Mottram, Jim McGillvray and David Slyme weren't far behind in the totally incompetent and totally biased brigade. The current crop are poor but none are quite as bad as these 4

Edited by Lindau

Worst individual display was by a guy called Fulton in a 4-2 defeat at Brockville in 92-93, then obviously Mottram v DU for not giving the goal to them was just farcical. Syme was the worst in 'my era', his pro-H*n credentials so blatant. The top refs like Dallas, Valentine, and McGinley (whatever else went on with him) were much better than the usual lot. Sounds like we're at a nadir now though - down in England the main ones like Webb seem thoroughly competent but the 'media glare' and garbage like Mourinho and Allardyce use them to abdicate responsibility. I always warm to Moyes and Martinez, who might make a point about a decision or two, but ultimately take responsibility for results. I think Archie is in this class as a bloke if not (yet!?!) as a manager.

Brian Cassidy was the worst ever for me. He was a guy that gave Thistle absolutely nothing even in the most blatant of cases! An absolute shocker. Buster Mottram, Jim McGillvray and David Slyme weren't far behind in the totally incompetent and totally biased brigade

I will never forget Cassidy's performance in the game against QOS on the day we could have won the 2nd division title at Fihill. I have always believed that he came to Firhill that day with an attitude of "not on my shift" Three red cards and one scandalous refereeing performance ensured that no championship was being won that day :mad:

Examples of good refereeing:

1) Euan Norris, for getting "Cornergate" right on our first visit to Inverness this season.

2) Willie Young for defusing an angry situation at Brockville (I think in our last but one promotion season) when a Falkirk player collapsed mysteriously in our penalty box under an innocuous challenge. Willie looked at the Thistle fans in the away end and laid his head on folded hands in a gesture to indicate that the player had fallen asleep. Nice bit of humour which got everyone smiling again.

• Like 1

I will never forget Cassidy's performance in the game against QOS on the day we could have won the 2nd division title at Fihill. I have always believed that he came to Firhill that day with an attitude of "not on my shift" Three red cards and one scandalous refereeing performance ensured that no championship was being won that day :mad:

If I remember right, we had been undefeated at Firhill that season and had already won promotion the previous game?

2) Willie Young for defusing an angry situation at Brockville (I think in our last but one promotion season) when a Falkirk player collapsed mysteriously in our penalty box under an innocuous challenge. Willie looked at the Thistle fans in the away end and laid his head on folded hands in a gesture to indicate that the player had fallen asleep. Nice bit of humour which got everyone smiling again.

Yes, that was brilliant! Incidentally the player in question was a young Steven Craig.

• Like 1

probably biased but every time we get near or to the top flight, it feels like refs have been briefed to make it as hard as possible to stay there.

who knows, bonuses?

we seem to constantly pick up yellows for the most ridiculous decisions yet the opposition get away with murder.

spfl hate us,

• Like 1

Not sure if they are worse, certainly more media and scrutiny on them. It is difficult to overly criticise as we do not have the same view as the ref during the game. Being a lower level ref I have some bias in this.

A good few years ago I spent quite a bit of time being suspended and fined playing U21 football. I was not the shy retiring type and most of my cautions were for arguing with the ref. A ref took me aside as I was being cautioned and advised me to learn the laws of the game to see it from his point of view. I did and several months later I was qualified. It did not stop me arguing, it just meant I was an informed argumentative git. However it did change the way I look at the game. It still annoys me when you see players saying it was my first tackle and I never touched him. As if that matters.......

My main gripe is the inconsistent application. For example the game against Celtic, Mulgrew got a caution for a trip and within 5. Mins, Emilio tripped big Chris just outside the box. No card. Don't get that.

Anyhoo, not sure they are worse, just looked at so much more closely now.

I wonder why when we have a fourth official they stand on the touchline ( or am I talking sh.t?) Surely theyd be better sitting with us at a heightened view so that they can see better? I know part of their job is to communicate with the managers and stand with the extra time mins board etc but still.

In the age of technology with earpieces etc there's no reason for it.

For me willie young was abysmal but hilarious and up for a laugh, present time Clancy and collum are the worst but as stated above the rules are clear it's the inconsistent application that's most frustrating.

Edited by kennymac29

Why oh why would anybody want to be a ref? The scrutiny must be mind numbing, never mind the constant abuse. The perks of the job can't be that great and then there's all those years in Amateur football getting dogs abuse from all and sundry with no real protection. No wonder by the time we see them, they're all off their trolleys. As to the worst ever? That guy that never gave us that goal in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final against the cream buns all those years ago. Tragedy!

• Like 1

probably biased but every time we get near or to the top flight, it feels like refs have been briefed to make it as hard as possible to stay there.

who knows, bonuses?

we seem to constantly pick up yellows for the most ridiculous decisions yet the opposition get away with murder.

spfl hate us,

Glad I am not the only one who thinks this .I was beginning to think my Cellik mates paranoia was rubbing off on me.

• Like 1

It must be a hindrance to referees' performances when they get together to decide before a season begins which players to target and which to let off. On a football pitch, where the referee is practically judge, jury and prosecutor, it is inapproprate for prejudice of this kind to be displayed, let alone encouraged. It may not only explain why certain fairly innocuous players seem to be carded (Doolan? :wacko: ) and others can get away with, say, handball in the penalty box for two games in a row. It's a systematic undermining of the basic approach to justice, and any professional lawyer could explain in great detail why. Any judge (at any level) in the law courts would shudder to hear that this happens.

I'm not saying John Rowbotham was by any means the worst but when he whistled nobody in the ground would cheer or jeer. Even if we had just witnessed the most blatant infringement there was always that couple of seconds silence while we waited to see which way he'd award the free kick. I'm sure he was a stickler for the rules just that he had a different set to everyone else.

Cassidy did have a bit of a howler against QoS, but can't remember having any complaints about the sending off decisions.

As I recall Stephen Docherty was red carded for deliberate hand ball/preventing a goal scoring opportunity when the ball was smashed at his face from point blank range. His crime was self preservation!

The second red card was for Mark McNally, already on a yellow, for moving from the wall at a QOS free kick before the ball had been played………except it had been played, touched to the side for someone to hit it.

Third red was, I think, Martin Hardie for telling Cassidy that his decision re Mark McNally was incorrect :) which probably did merit a red but given that it was brought about by Cassidy’s incompetence……………

• Like 1

Well my memory is that Docherty pulled off a quite excellent one handed save to prevent a certain goal. McNally was sent off for a dreadful over the ball tackle. It may well have been a second yellow but in my opinion it was worth a straight red. Have no idea what Hardie said, so can't really judge that one.

Cassidy gets a bad rap for 1 game, where as Muscat Jag says he probably got most decisions correct. He also got blasted for another game at Stenhousmuir that season, when it wasn't even him in charge, it was a wee fat guy called Colin Hardie.

The previously mentioned Louis Thow was probably the worst I can remember & he gave us nothing, but Rowbotham was bad as well. Two others not mentioned (I don't think) that were terrible & seemed to give us nothing were Andrew Waddell (Waddell, Waddell get to feck was chanted many times) and Alan something (can't remember his surname, came from Aberdeenshire) I think he was the ref when Hardie made that 'tackle' on Dowie at Shyberry Excelsior or whatever it was called then. There have been many more, but I think bad refs were the exception a few years ago, now there seems to be more of them. Thomson is surprising as I did think he was decent in the past

Edited by jaggy