Remembering Goals

Over thirty years I must have seen over 2000 Jags goals.

Can't remember many of them though apart from Peterhead, The Ghost at Parkhead and Damon Gray at Ibrox.

Remember Maurice Johnstone's goal against Raith when we won 2-0 against them in the late eighties. Just before he went to Watford. Strange what stays in the memory. Can also vividly remember a couple of Kenny Watson penalty kicks in the eighties.

Memory lane. Sorry to the younger folk here.

The love of the red and yellow has become stronger over the years.

Maryhill is wonderfull.

In many ways the goals you remember tend to be significant winners - Whittaker against the now defunct Glasgow Rangers - or crackers - Paddy Kelly - Xmas Eve 1988 at Falkirk -or freak weird goals like Danny Kellachan's against Celtic for example. By the same token I suppose a run-of-the-mill consolation goal or the second in a 3-0 win will not be remembered - I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here!

Personally I can remember goals like Eddie Prudham's at Aberdeen back in the mid 70s probably because it was my first visit to Pitoddrie or Bobby Houston's against Ayr at Somerset when the "swing it out to the right wing" kick-off "tactic" actually produced a goal. Much, of course, is lost in the mists of time but I will never forget some of them for the reasons outlined above (significantly 4 at Hampden one afternoon as well as a rather more mundane League Cup occasion illuminated by a goal of genius scored by Denis against Clyde).

Isacc Englishes goal at Dens, when duffy was stretchered off in the promotion season,

Lindau's back heel at Forthbank,

Paddy Kelly's at Broadwood,

Paddy Kelly's 2 quick ones against Killie at Firhill when he came off the bench and ended their promotion run,

Jacobs goal direct from a corner at Firhill

Loads of crackers over the years

A cracking John Buckley one against Morton at Crappielow; a bursting run followed with a thunderous shot. An Ian Jardine blunderbuss against East Fife in Methil. John Donnelly back heel against . . can't remember. Kenny Watson header from outside the box against St. Johnstone. SOD's against Dunfermline last year was great too. Bobby Law against Dumbarton at Boghead. etc etc.

Obviously ALL the League Cup Final goals.

McQuades from halfway v. East Fife in 2nd Division, McQuades stunning solo effort v Clyde in wee Berties first season.

Ronnie Glavin's free kicks, and his two v Jock Stein's Celtic in a memorable 2-0 win under McParland.

Doug Somners goals. etc. etc. Too many to list, but I remember hunners and hunners.

....................Zak's two - what seemed like! - 30 yarders against the blue side of the bum cheek,

Tam Smiths 'second' against the green side of the same bum!

Geordie Shaws against the green cheek!

Ray Farninghams 'fluke?' against St Johnstone!

jeeze you could fill a page with great stick in the mind goals!!

:clapping:

Great cheery you up thread!

I was there when McFadden scored in Paris. Also saw Kenny Dalgliesh score his great goal in the 3-1 against Spain to take us to the 1990 World Cup, Saw Mo Jonstone nut one in to take us to the 1994 world cup.

None of these were better than Alex O'Hara's free kick against Airdrie around 1984.

I doubt anyone has seen that Mo Johnston goal, because we didn't make the 1994 World Cup.

Two random ones that popped into my head on reading this are Somners header against Aberdeen to put us top of te league and Gerry McCoy's diving header against StMirren at Love St in the cup.

Let's have a random goal thread to cheer us up. :happy2:

Somners goal in this game will stick with me till I die. One of the two most memorable goals in my life, the other being Bobby Houston's match winning chopped off goal in the Scottish Cup semi final later that year against the liquidated and defunct Glasgow Rangers.

We were sitting second in the table, and wee Bertie said pre game that if 10,000 Jags fans don't turn up for this top of the table clash, then they'll not turn out for anything. Average Jags crowd at that time was a consistent 5000, and wee Bertie got his wish, a crowd of over 10, 000 saw Thistle going one nil up after only seven minutes.

It was a typical Thistle goal from that era...shooting towards the City End, Bobby Houston skinned the left back, haired down the right wing and crossed for The Messiah who was about twelve yards from goal. The bulleted header went straight into the bottom corner, Bobby Clark in goal never even flinched as the rocket swept by him. Very happy days, and what a team we had over the five years between 75-80.

The other goal against Scotland's most recently liquidated team later that season was the biggest injustice that I've ever experienced, chopped off for alleged offside. My memory of these two semi finals (the original and the reply) was that if we had our two fit strikers playing together, we would have eased through. Somner, always on fire and rarely injured, was crocked for the first game, and Beastie Macadam, who had recently moved to a forward role, was injured for the second.

Macadams development in the forward role that season paved the move for Somners inexplicable move to St Mirren later in the year. Inexcusable. That's when our 30 year decline started, right there with Somners transfer. The Sons of Somner (Lanark Chapter) vow to continue to fight for an investigation into this heinous act. So good to see him back at Firhill recently at the half time draw.

I was there when McFadden scored in Paris. Also saw Kenny Dalgliesh score his great goal in the 3-1 against Spain to take us to the 1990 World Cup, Saw Mo Jonstone nut one in to take us to the 1994 world cup.

None of these were better than Alex O'Hara's free kick against Airdrie around 1984.

we didnt qualify for 1994

• Members
Also saw Kenny Dalgliesh score his great goal in the 3-1 against Spain to take us to the 1990 World Cup, Saw Mo Jonstone nut one in to take us to the 1994 world cup.

I doubt anyone has seen that Mo Johnston goal, because we didn't make the 1994 World Cup.

we didnt qualify for 1994

The OP's just got his years mixed up of course. 4 years out in each case. I was also there for both of these. Was there also for both those goals, but best international memories were the 2-1 defeat of Chzechoslovakia with Jim Holton and Joe Jordan scoring to qualify for the '74 World Cup. Kenny Dalglish sticking the ball through Ray Clemences legs in a home International. And the best non scoring moment, Alan Rough leaving his goal to dribble the ball round Kevin Keegan!