Staying Up Or Not?

Ancipital

Survival  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Will we stay up this season?

• Yes- we'll stay up automatically
    • Yes- we'll finish 11th but win the playoff
    • No- we'll finish 11th and lose the playoff

I'm not a boo boy, more of a pessimist (45 years of watching Thistle can make you like that) I was home recently but only got to the Celtic game, but my feeling is, since Hibs we seem to have gone backwards & the players confidence is down. I think we'll struggle to win any of the away games, and even on recent form there's no guarantees of home wins. The Hearts result & performance must have caused a huge amount of doubt in the squad. I think it might even have let Hibs off the hook. I honestly believe 11th is where we'll end up.

As for the play-off, it really depends on who we get, but we would be facing a team who had to have won games to qualify. I think it would be very difficult no matter who we would play.

Hope I'm wrong about all of this of course :fan:

It's a pity none of the six have backed up their vote by being open on here.

Nail your flag to the mast, boo boys.

I have to admit one of the votes was mine, but I also have to say it was an error I meant to tick stay up automatically and I didn't have my specs handy!

The reality is of course like evbery other Jags fan I really don't have a clue what'll happe, lacking the gift of prophecy like Chick Dung etc.

Edited by stillresigned

Teams don't share pressure, you don't split it like an apple.

Was there no pressure on thistle under DC?

I honestly don't understand what your trying to say ? The premiership team is there because they have lost games the championship team is there because they have won games .... Pressure is more on won side IMO

If we get relegated via the play-offs we can have no complaints. We were fortunate (as were the other bottom half teams) that the automatic relegation spot was effectively decided before a ball was kicked.

As well as directly benefitting from Hearts' financial woes we might also have indirectly benefitted from Rangers - promoting Dundee and replacing them with Airdrie unarguably weakened the First Division that season - that's not to say we wouldn't still have won the league.

• Like 2

Haven't voted yet, but think we will finish 11th. Haven't decided if we will win the play off due to a couple of things, ie..who we are playing and who/how we set our team up. I'm like evey other fan, don't want us anywhere near the play off, but looking ominous, I think.

The thing that sticks out on this thread and over the last week or two, is the amount of name calling and calls for them to be named on this poll or as 1members favourite line, "put your real name to the post" to the members who do not think Archie is doing a decent job.

Well firstly this is an open forum that is for all thistle fans from no hair to grey hair and everyone has an opinion, some may agree with and some will not. Secondly, if you wanted a closed forum that only Archie lovers can join and voice their love, then why not start a forum for yourself, instead of dishing out abuse and calling people names.

• Like 1

Haven't voted yet, but think we will finish 11th. Haven't decided if we will win the play off due to a couple of things, ie..who we are playing and who/how we set our team up. I'm like evey other fan, don't want us anywhere near the play off, but looking ominous, I think.

The thing that sticks out on this thread and over the last week or two, is the amount of name calling and calls for them to be named on this poll or as 1members favourite line, "put your real name to the post" to the members who do not think Archie is doing a decent job.

Well firstly this is an open forum that is for all thistle fans from no hair to grey hair and everyone has an opinion, some may agree with and some will not. Secondly, if you wanted a closed forum that only Archie lovers can join and voice their love, then why not start a forum for yourself, instead of dishing out abuse and calling people names.

I think it's perfectly legitimate for people to ask the true identity of posters.

For all we know The Cup could be a St. Mirren fan trying to stir up discontent in the opposition ranks.

The biggest problem with the internet is indeed anonymity. People can say things they would never dream of saying in real life because ultimately they won't be held responsible.

All this stuff about Archie being as bad as DC, I'm willing to bet that none of these folk would ever dream of uttering those words during a game or in the pub when they are surrounded by other jags fans who could possibly identify them.

All I'm asking from these folk is, if you really do feel this way, then be brave enough to put your real name to the posts. Let's hear how long you've been a jags fan for, who were your favourite players, managers etc.

It's the same people with the same gripes who only show themselves after a defeat. I give you javeajag.

To be fair to The Cup, he does show himself after a great victory. The problem is that he takes on a completely different personality and seems to instantly forget and forgive everything, almost becoming over confident.

Then after the next defeat he goes back to the sack archie, worse than DC stuff.

Edited by ian_mac

I think it's perfectly legitimate for people to ask the true identity of posters.

For all we know The Cup could be a St. Mirren fan trying to stir up discontent in the opposition ranks.

The biggest problem with the internet is indeed anonymity. People can say things they would never dream of saying in real life because ultimately they won't be held responsible.

All this stuff about Archie being as bad as DC, I'm willing to bet that none of these folk would ever dream of uttering those words during a game or in the pub when they are surrounded by other jags fans who could possibly identify them.

All I'm asking from these folk is, if you really do feel this way, then be brave enough to put your real name to the posts. Let's hear how long you've been a jags fan for, who were your favourite players, managers etc.

It's the same people with the same gripes who only show themselves after a defeat. I give you javeajag.

To be fair to The Cup, he does show himself after a great victory. The problem is that he takes on a completely different personality and seems to instantly forget and forgive everything, almost becoming over confident.

Then after the next defeat he goes back to the sack archie, worse than DC stuff.

Completely disagree with this Ian.... If people want to put forward an opinion on an open forum anonymously then than is their absolute right. If St Mirren fans want to waste their time coming on here trying to turn the fans against Archie, I have no problem with this. I think you have to credit the vast majority if posters on here with a little more intelligence than you do and everyone is entitled to their opinion. What would be the point is a discussion board otherwise?

Asking posters to reveal their identity is just a bit silly...

• Like 1

Completely disagree with this Ian.... If people want to put forward an opinion on an open forum anonymously then than is their absolute right. If St Mirren fans want to waste their time coming on here trying to turn the fans against Archie, I have no problem with this. I think you have to credit the vast majority if posters on here with a little more intelligence than you do and everyone is entitled to their opinion. What would be the point is a discussion board otherwise?

I got round it by putting all the boo boys on ignore... But then folk quote their posts and you see they are laugh out loud funny or just far too easy to disprove.

I think a couple are playing to the gallery, trolling wind up merchants if you will.

Don't get me wrong, if folk have an honest gripe, that us quantifiable, then that becomes a debate or discussion.

Ian, I think you need to remember not so long ago the 'abuse' that you me and Norge were taking on here regarding our negative outlook towards the board. We were a small minority, and folk didn't like the repetitive nature of some of our posts.

I see what you're saying and of course respect your right to say it.

But, when you think of all the nonsense that goes on with social media sites, and forums like P&B, where it's just endless threads of people giving each other abuse. It's anonymity that makes that all possible.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it has to be an informed opinion. The view that Archie is as bad a manager as DC is definitely not an informed opinion, and I don't think ANYONE would put their real name to an opinion like that.

WHY do members or as they are being called "nae sayers" have to name a replacement? I personally do not think Archie is the man to carry us forward, but just because I think this, why do I have to name a replacement. I hope he proves me wrong and in 5 yrs time he is still with us as manager, but at this time I doubt it. Do all owners or directors of clubs who sack their manager name a replacement straight off.

If Archie does go before the start of next season, then I would have Hartley, but who's to say the club would want a scottish manager. They may look down south, all ifs and buts until things settle down and we know where we are playing next year.

WHY do members or as they are being called "nae sayers" have to name a replacement? I personally do not think Archie is the man to carry us forward, but just because I think this, why do I have to name a replacement. I hope he proves me wrong and in 5 yrs time he is still with us as manager, but at this time I doubt it. Do all owners or directors of clubs who sack their manager name a replacement straight off.

If Archie does go before the start of next season, then I would have Hartley, but who's to say the club would want a scottish manager. They may look down south, all ifs and buts until things settle down and we know where we are playing next year.

So you want Archie sacked but you don't have a clue what we should do after that?

Sounds like a great plan.

• Like 1

So you want Archie sacked but you don't have a clue what we should do after that?

Sounds like a great plan.

Please show me where I said I want him sacked!!!! And please read the second paragraph, where it states that I would have Hartley.

Also if you really want to act like a smart ass, what is your suggestion/ plan if we are relegated this yr and we lose most of our so called best players.

Please show me where I said I want him sacked!!!! And please read the second paragraph, where it states that I would have Hartley.

Also if you really want to act like a smart ass, what is your suggestion/ plan if we are relegated this yr and we lose most of our so called best players.

You said you didn't think Archie was the man to carry us forward. Which, to me, means that you don't want him to be the manager of the club. But you say you don't want him sacked? All very confusing.

We wouldn't be able to get Hartley, He's just joined Dundee and I don't see him jumping ship just yet.

You are right when you say we would need to rebuild the team in the event of relegation. But relegation this year wouldn't be a disaster. The board haven't broke the bank to try and stay up, plus we would be in line for some big receipts next season. We could start building a squad with no pressure or expectation to get promoted. Play-offs would be a bonus. The experience the players would gain from playing against some big teams in that league would put us in a great position to challenge for promotion the year after.

In the event of relegation there is no one I would trust to rebuild the squad more than Archie. I would rather go down playing great football than stay up playing mind numbing long balls to no one.

People seem to have this belief about us having a divine right to be in the top division, even though it's our first time in that division for 10 years. It's complete nonsense. Since 2000 we have actually spent as much time in the 2nd division as we have in the top flight.

Regardless of all that though, I still believe we will stay up by finishing 10th or higher.

Edited by ian_mac