Sean Welsh

Winter of '63

Looked like Sean knew he was only getting 45 mins. Could see he was pacing himself but towards the end of the half (perhaps the last ten minutes) he upped his game. Can't say I know much about these things but I've seen players coming back from much less serious injuries and playing a lot cagier. Hopefully he's not feeling any after effects.

Game itself was entertaining enough despite just the one goal. We missed Duggan but that's no reflection on Nesbitt, who is still very young.. Don't suppose it would surprise many to know Wighton was the Dees stand out player. Clearly a fantastic prospect. I've seen their overage goalie Bain maybe ten times and can't remember him having ever having a bad game or not making at least one really good save. Tonight was no exception. Think their only other overage player would be McBride. Got a feeling if he hadn 't played we'd have overrun them in the first half.

Our lads will be pissed at losing tonight but similar to the 1st team too often this season we couldn't capitalise when on top. Draw would've been a fairer result but football isn't fair,

I, for one, can't wait to see the return of Welsh's 40 yard wonder passes - a real feature of our play in our title-winning season. Also love how calm he is under pressure - never rushed on the ball and draws a lot of fouls (which I think is how he got injured in the first place?)

That got me thinking of the great Spike Milligan, reading the opening lines of a book he'd written (so the sketch went): "The room was dark and musty.... The curtains were drawn.... but the rest of the furniture was real."

• Like 3

Good news indeed. Although the Banzo-Abdul combination is coming along nicely, we're a bit stretched in this department following Fraser's injury. It would also be nice to have the option of playing a more solid 4-3-3 again when required. Welcome back, skipper!

I'd have no problems throwing David Wilson into the team.

• Like 1

Good to read Sean is nearing a return to the first team squad.

Not got a clue whether this is the case or not but it is certainly libelous if it is inaccurate - could impinge on Kenny's professional name - might be best to remove that.

It was however great to see Sean back and looking good

Not got a clue whether this is the case or not but it is certainly libelous if it is inaccurate - could impinge on Kenny's professional name - might be best to remove that.

It was however great to see Sean back and looking good

would that also include a fat doolan and a unfit Stevenson fromearly season "snip".

I'd have no problems throwing David Wilson into the team.

I wouldn't either, TAS, as he seems to be a decent prospect, but I don't get the impression that Archie thinks he's quite ready. Sean is obviously a different case entirely. I've always felt he's absolutely crucial to the short passing game that used to be our hallmark (punctured by diagonals to the wing-backs). He's our metronome. This is not to say that we're now a hoofball team – far from it – but we're definitely more direct and less efficient in possession.