Ian Mccall

AlbaJag

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ian McCall should get the sack. I think hes run out of ideas at thistle and dont think hes ever going to get us out of this league. Just wondering what the rest of you thought.

Doesn't matter if he deserves the sack or not, he won't be sacked because we can't afford to pay him off.

My opinion is that he is capable of getting it right, but the next 3 league games need to be half decent or the pressure will mount. He's more likely to walk away than get the sack.

Edited by Steven H

Doesn't matter if he deserves the sack or not, he won't be sacked because we can't afford to pay him off.

My opinion is that he is capable of getting it right, but the next 3 league games need to be half decent or the pressure will mount. He's more likely to walk away than get the sack.

I totaly agree

Edited by AlbaJag

Doubt McCall will get the sack given that he has two years left to run on his contract, we cannot afford to pay him off, so the best that can be hoped for is that he decides to chuck it if things get worse.

Given the fact the team has been on a downward spiral since November last year, unless somebody is prepared to put a substantial cash investment into the club and quickly then I don't see how we can stop the rot on the playing front. In the last eleven games of last season we scored I think it was 5 goals in total and only 1 of them was at home. Nothing has changed to suggest that anything has improved since then

How can you play a traditional 4-4-2 without a couple of wide midfielders? Can't see Erskine being a regular starter and Flannigan is really more of a central midfielder.

True. Bout time we got some. Can't remember the last time we had any width. McCall has systematically got rid of any creative wide players. Nothing like putting all your eggs in one basket. Hey-ho

McCall has patronised our support from day one as well as being a crap manager. Unfortunately, there's no one out there who would do much better in the long run with a board like that running the club. If you think a change of manager will solve everything, you are deluded in the extreme. We're stuck with jobbie for the forseeable. I'd rather we focused our anger on those in the boardroom and there are plenty of threads already saying just that.

I am slowly running out of patience with the man. We have got players who have ability: we also have some donkeys but every team has a blend of quality and donkeys.

The players with ability seem to be playing out of position or are obeying some rather questionable instructions from dugout.

But Saturday summed up McCall - we're 3 down at half time and down to 10 men. Ddoes he throw caution to the wind and go for it? Does he do a Jimmy Calderwood and throw people forward thinking that "well the game's lost but we might as well have a good go"?

No - he takes off a midfielder and a striker and replaces them with a midfielder and a defender!!! FFS! On top of that he keeps Hodge on the pitch. We effectively go one up front chasing a 3 goal defifict.

I agree we can't afford to sack him but equally we cannot afford to continue as we are.

I pray that the directors are putting pressure on him and if things do not change he will do the decent thing and walk off with no pay off.

The frankly alarming thing on this and related threads the almost complete unanimity that Bunter is a p1sh manager who talks turkey and who should be sandalled. The only point of disagreement is WHEN he should go, i.e. varying degrees of fiscal caution shown over whether we can sack him because of the compen issue (his, not ours). Wish the box-headed Tayside h*ns would take taken him to fcuk – and said so at the time.

The crunch will come when (not if) we are anchored at the foot of the league and the board are faced with dwindling attendances and start to haemorrhage money.

Same p1sh performances against lowly opposition; same bottling it at crunch games; same inability to motivate even half (ok, quarter) decent players; same gibberish from the dugout.

Bunter = The New Messiah Bunnet.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

I will be totally contradicting myself after the rage of Saturday/Sunday. However I will continue. Ian McCall is a manager who has came to Thistle and tried to completely make the team his own. Which he has. He's signed quite a few of questionable players who've not earned their wages at Thistle. He's working under a complete and utterly unambitious board who'll give him some money to fund the likes of a released Kilmarnock youngster and think that's their good deed done for the year and the Thistle fans will be off their backs. McCall can only keep his own shoes clean for a certain amount of time, yes, he seems to bullshit the fans but you can tell he's tiptoeing around the bush doing everything he can not to badmouth the board who pay his wages, which keep a roof over his and his family's heads, which feeds his family. But overall he needs time, he's had 3 and a bit years, ok, but we won't get another manager of his pedigree if he's shunted or whatever. He's a reasonably big name who most players wouldn't have any problem working under. If he was sacked we'd end up with Ian Maxwell or one of the older players taking over. So C'mon, get behind McCall and see how this season pans out. Because this moaning isn't going to make us any happier or get us any closer to being content.

Edited by Jeehon

Pedigree? Am I missing something?

He's an experienced manager who's done reasonably well for himself. He's barely ever been on the "Managerial Merry-go-round" he's been in a job and highly sought after and snapped up generally quickly. Unlike the rookies who're cutting around Scotland right now without jobs.

You want us to play with 3 defenders?

I am slowly running out of patience with the man. We have got players who have ability: we also have some donkeys but every team has a blend of quality and donkeys.

The players with ability seem to be playing out of position or are obeying some rather questionable instructions from dugout.

But Saturday summed up McCall - we're 3 down at half time and down to 10 men. Ddoes he throw caution to the wind and go for it? Does he do a Jimmy Calderwood and throw people forward thinking that "well the game's lost but we might as well have a good go"?

No - he takes off a midfielder and a striker and replaces them with a midfielder and a defender!!! FFS! On top of that he keeps Hodge on the pitch. We effectively go one up front chasing a 3 goal defifict.

I agree we can't afford to sack him but equally we cannot afford to continue as we are.

I pray that the directors are putting pressure on him and if things do not change he will do the decent thing and walk off with no pay off.

He's an experienced manager who's done reasonably well for himself. He's barely ever been on the "Managerial Merry-go-round" he's been in a job and highly sought after and snapped up generally quickly. Unlike the rookies who're cutting around Scotland right now without jobs.

Would have been delighted to see Dundee 'snap him up', always assuming they were actually interested in him. I think what I'm saying is, if he is so good why are we, er, watching such p1sh?

Edited by Semi Nurainen

Would have been delighted to see Dundee 'snap him up', always assuming they were actually interested in him. I think what I'm saying is, if he is so good why are we, er, watching such p1sh?

I'd also have taken money for him. But there's no point in us moaning when we all know the facts and we all know that we're stuck with him. Why not just live with it and back the man?

True. Bout time we got some. Can't remember the last time we had any width. McCall has systematically got rid of any creative wide players. Nothing like putting all your eggs in one basket. Hey-ho

What, you mean like the 'wingers' we had before McCall came in? Kilgannon, (Murray I'll give you), Graeme Gibson...eh...the Ned?

No McCall isn't as great as people used to think. Finishing 2nd two years ago was probably the worse thing he could have done. This caused expectation to rise, however his budget was cut. We're fecked right now on and off the pitch. We can only sort on field problems once we've got the off-field sorted IMO, however it's not going to be easy.

What, you mean like the 'wingers' we had before McCall came in? Kilgannon, (Murray I'll give you), Graeme Gibson...eh...the Ned?

No McCall isn't as great as people used to think. Finishing 2nd two years ago was probably the worse thing he could have done. This caused expectation to rise, however his budget was cut. We're fecked right now on and off the pitch. We can only sort on field problems once we've got the off-field sorted IMO, however it's not going to be easy.

When would the off field issues likely to be sorted as those in charge have been failing spectacularly with this for the last 7 years

No McCall isn't as great as people used to think. Finishing 2nd two years ago was probably the worse thing he could have done. This caused expectation to rise, however his budget was cut.

I generally agree with that but my problem with McCall at the moment is that he not developed or changed as a manager at all ,in fact tactically I think he has went backwards.There has been very few occasions in the last season were I've seen a tactical or formation change or a substitution that has saved or won a game for us.

Budget cuts or not ,his recent signings have been poor.His initial signings, the likes of Harkins,Twaddle,Rowsen even Maxy perhaps also raised expectation and I think the loss of Harkins and Twaddle has been a much bigger blow to the team than we thought.

I think the next tactic he'll use is reverting to a sweeper system with a three/five at the back shape but without a natrual sweeper or any player able to cross a ball in from wide finishing above the play-offs will be a good season.