Something Else To Argue About...

Dark Passenger

Yes campaign display planned for Saturday's match against Dundee:

"On Saturday 16 August, Radical Independence will be organising a major voter registration drive outside football stadiums, including Dens, across Scotland. They will also be handing out A3 Yes placards for fans to hold up during the 18th minute of the match to show support for independence. Share this around and get in touch if you can help outside your nearest match. Let's make this action a massive success. Meeting at 2pm outside Dens for those available to help out!"

I'd rather such a divisive issue was parked at the door.

• Like 2

How is this going to sway undecided voters though WT? What if we hand out 'NO' placards too and just make it a straw poll?

I'm actually going off this whole vote due to not being able to make the climb to the moral high ground claimed by both sets of declared voters on social media. It's reaching propaganda-esque levels.

• Like 1

For me, being a no voter currently I don't particularly want things like this going on. I have no issue with people voicing their opinions whether it's yes or no, but not at a football match. It's shoved down our throats enough without dealing with it when we're stressed enough watching Thistle.

Yeh - imagine something as trivial as the biggest decision of a generation getting in the way of the game. Most inconvenient...

The referendum and arguments about the referendum are beginning to seep into every aspect of our daily lives. I can choose to ignore/avoid facets of that as I wish, but it's a bit harder to ignore someone waving a bit of card in front of your face when you're trying to enjoy/concentrate on the match.

Park it, please.

Edited by Dark Passenger

As someone who intends to vote yes, I find this nonsensical. And also likely to backfire. No harm I suppose if they were just handing out leaflets but asking random people to participate in a political action is really a bit foolish. They of course are just a minor group and are maybe desperately looking for some way to get themselves noticed.

Altho' I've made up my mind I understand that a large proportion of the don't knows are undecided due to either their questions as yet being unanswered or a belief that Salmond & Darling are dodging these issues. So I don't see the benefit of trying to sway opinions by holding up a card with YES on it (or NO if the case may be).

Simply saying politics and sport have no place together is just an ideal and no more. Politics and sport have been intertwined for as long as I can mind. But this is just silly and could just as easy do the YES vote as much harm as good.

Btw Ironical being at Dens where it's often only marginally easier getting some proscribed thingy past their officious stewards as smuggling a pistol onto an El Al flight.

• Like 1

Yeh - imagine something as trivial as the biggest decision of a generation getting in the way of the game. Most inconvenient...

as rabid a yes supporter that i am, and as much as i agree it is the biggest decision of a generation (and more), i am of the opinion that politics should not become an issue at football. or any sports for that matter. or even some forms of entertainment.

imagine, going to a gig for example, and having others around you with placards, or starting chants between songs "vote yes for freedom" or "keep the union". we're there for the music and the enjoyment of it. nothing else.

to have fellow fans around me (whether holding up yes or no placards) making a political point, blocking viewing and enjoyment of a football match, is no different to the gig example.

i didn't want to see any political gatherings or statements made from the athletes or watching crowds at the commonwealth games (and thankfully didn't). i have no wish to see any political gatherings or mass statements or placard waving made during a football match, from either jags supporters, or opposition supporters. regardless of whether its (imho) for the best for scotland (a yes vote) or the detriment (a no vote).

we are there for the football. like smoking, surely we can leave politics, and the referendum in particular, outside the stadium and abstain from it for 90 minutes.

just remember to vote yes on 18th september :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

The big question is...

Would an independent Scotland take part in the Eurovision Song Contest?

To my knowledge, this has not been covered by the Yes campaign.

... :P

Aye like that would be a proud moment. Some fat drunk guy singing flower of Scotland with the Pollokshaws Young Asian Dance Team jigging in the background.

Scotland, you have 8 points. A pretty pish score.

Aye like that would be a proud moment. Some fat drunk guy singing flower of Scotland with the Pollokshaws Young Asian Dance Team jigging in the background.

Scotland, you have 8 points. A pretty pish score.

But we would obviously have Subo representing us.

The big question is...

To my mind they've missed a trick - surely if it will keep us out of the Eurovision Song Contest it's got to be a massive vote winner? :happy2:

The big question is...

It actually has.

474. Would the Scottish Broadcasting Service join the European Broadcasting Union (EBU)?

Yes. The SBS would seek membership of the EBU and would be an active and constructive partner in the organisation. As part of this participation, we would envisage the SBS engaging with some of the EBU competitions, including Scottish entries in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Edited by ThickAsThieves
  • Like 1

It actually has.

474. Would the Scottish Broadcasting Service join the European Broadcasting Union (EBU)?

Yes. The SBS would seek membership of the EBU and would be an active and constructive partner in the organisation. As part of this participation, we would envisage the SBS engaging with some of the EBU competitions, including Scottish entries in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Haha! Clearly no stone has been left unturned! Thanks for that :)

I have to admit, that as much of a passionate supporter of indepedence as I may be, I am a tad reluctant to mix up football and politics. Whilst it is reasonable to argue that politics affects ewverything including football and its fans, I feel that it trivialises something as important as independence to conflate it with something as relatively unimportant as football. Of all supports in Scottish football, our support should be uniquely aware of the problems that arise when mixing football and matters of politics/identity..

That said I've absolutely no problem with any legitimate canvessing activity outside a football ground.