Jaggernaut

Is it only me who's a bit concerned, or are folk happy to see Doolan on the bench each week?

Fair enough if it's a tactical decision to start with Stevenson in some matches, and he apparently helped pull the County defence apart in the opening game.

But Doolan is our No. 1 striker, isn't he? For match-fitness at least, I'd like to see him start against Accies, and then Stevenson could be brought on if and when required.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Yes was concerned that once again Doolan seems to be the one who gets dumped on the bench,when the team v Ross County was announced was gobsmacked that he wasn't playing,thought maybe he was not fully fit.Just because we scored 4 didn't hide the fact that we didn't really have a lot of penetration,best will in the world,Ryan Stevenson is not a front man,good player being played out of position as we have so many mid-field players.We still need another target man over and above Kris,Kallum picks up bookings like confetti.

He surely isn't fit. At the kit launch he had a Ben Arfa-esque gut on him and it looked reallty unprofessional. Nobody seemed bothered about it.

Sure the players need to rest and recouperate in pre-season but he looked as if he just battered the pub and world buffet on his 4 weeks off and turned up simply not in the condition of a professional footballer.

It looks like Stevenson will be playing almost every game. So, where do we put him when we bring Doolan in? None of the midfield 3 (Osman, Bannigan, Fraser) should be dropped. That leaves Lawless as the most likely casualty - but does Stevenson suit that position, and does Stevie merit being dropped?

I agree that I'd like to see Doolan on the field, but the way we've started the season I don't see us changing shape to accommodate him right now.

FFS

Now Doolan has gone from being the most professional player at the club to being a slob. What next? Rumours of a McGhee's pie eating contest up at Garscube, perhaps?

Doolan is left out a starting eleven where we win only our third home league game, and 4-0 at that. The manager strangely decides to go with the same starting eleven. Unlike at Firhill Doolan doesn't come on as a sub, a most unlikely event when you're down to ten men. Conclusion, the guy's not fit.

Did you see any of the pre season friendlies Doolan played in?

Thought it was strange that Kris Doolan was the fall guy once again, Kris Doolan will always score more goals than Stevenson, as a lone striker working the opposition defence one of the best in the division closing people down etc etc, his first touch and control of a football is absolutely sublime, watched Stevenson and IMO not even close to the player Dools is in terms of work rate , goal scoring . Last season Dools scored 11 spl goals , probably played just over half the games alternating with Lyle Taylor , can't see Stevenson even getting close to that total. Thought Archie brought in Stevenson to give us a goal threat from midfield which was missing last year, think now with Bannigan , Fraser playing well and scoring goals he's now trying to find a place for Stevenson and Dools is the fall guy.

• Like 1

Thought it was strange that Kris Doolan was the fall guy once again, Kris Doolan will always score more goals than Stevenson, as a lone striker working the opposition defence one of the best in the division closing people down etc etc, his first touch and control of a football is absolutely sublime, watched Stevenson and IMO not even close to the player Dools is in terms of work rate , goal scoring . Last season Dools scored 11 spl goals , probably played just over half the games alternating with Lyle Taylor , can't see Stevenson even getting close to that total. Thought Archie brought in Stevenson to give us a goal threat from midfield which was missing last year, think now with Bannigan , Fraser playing well and scoring goals he's now trying to find a place for Stevenson and Dools is the fall guy.

Is it at all possible that Stevenson is helping to make space for the other midfielders that Doolan wasn't able to do

He surely isn't fit. At the kit launch he had a Ben Arfa-esque gut on him and it looked reallty unprofessional. Nobody seemed bothered about it.

Sure the players need to rest and recouperate in pre-season but he looked as if he just battered the pub and world buffet on his 4 weeks off and turned up simply not in the condition of a professional footballer.

Man I'm going to count the idiots, number 64 on this forum up to now
  • Like 1

Probably because he didn't actually have one.

Just because we scored 4 didn't hide the fact that we didn't really have a lot of penetration

I will assume that you are having a laugh with that statement. Kris will get his chance. We have scored 5 goals in 2 games and are undefeated. Archie would have been slaughtered on here if he had changed a team that had just won their first game 4-0

And you base this on a picture, You are speaking utter mince

I was over in Spain for the pre-season and Doolan walked past me one morning on his way to training with his top off, and I can assure you he is not carrying any sort of "Ben Arfa-esque gut" on him. In fact I was shocked at how toned he actually was and it was quite obvious he had been training on the time off.

1. Man I'm going to count the idiots, number 64 on this forum up to now

What, so i'm an idiot because I stated a fact? He had a fairly visible belly in the kit launch pictures. So if people are looking for a reason why Dools is on the bench then it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he still isn't 100& fit. He clearly had a few too many kebabs in pre-season which for a supposed top flight professional player is a tad unprofessional as he should be maintaining his fitness and nutrition even when the team are taking a break.

And you base this on a picture, You are speaking utter mince

I was over in Spain for the pre-season and Doolan walked past me one morning on his way to training with his top off, and I can assure you he is not carrying any sort of "Ben Arfa-esque gut" on him. In fact I was shocked at how toned he actually was and it was quite obvious he had been training on the time off.

Three_good.png

toned?

Do some people on here just not understand football, like, at all? It's blatantly not a case of "doolan is the best striker at the club, so he should play there" or whatever, what a ludicrous argument. Archibald obviously has a game plan, and part of this game plan he's going with involves the striker playing as more of a false none and dropping deep thus opening up space for the wingers and midfield to get forward more effectively. Stevenson, although he may not be a better striker than doolan, is more suited to doing this job for the team, and thus is getting picked as it fits in with Archie's plan, which I'd say is working pretty well so far. It's nothing to do with doolan being unfit, or any such nonsense, it's simply that he's less effective at the job that needs done. It's the same reason why Christie was brought on on Saturday, as he's going to work harder defensively that anyone else on the bench to hold out for the draw.

Obviously, doolan will get his chances at first team football (he probably would have come on on Saturday if 2 out of 3 subs weren't forced) and he's always seemed like the model pro who understands his role in the team and is happy to do whatever job he's asked to do, even if that means sitting on the bench and getting 20 minutes here and there for a while. I have no doubts we'll see him in the starting line up soon enough as well.

• Like 3

Iv'e got a feeling Archie wants to play Stevenson wide and Doolan up front but at the moment we dont have a sub forward to bring on after the usual 70 min of Dools running himself into the ground .In the county game Dools came on , went up front and Stevenson went wide.

If we sign another forward Ithink we'll see Dools starting with Stevo out in a wider position .