Let Nostalgia Show Your Age

CCjag puts it very well when he refers to James Alexander Gordon as "part of the fabric of the game". Now sadly passed away.

Got me thinking that even our relatively young posters will also mind a different era. And may look back with nostalgia on times forever gone.

Here's my three from the past.

1/The Saturday Green Citizen (rushed out with detailed first half but extremely sketchy second half reports)

2/Results coming thru on teleprinters

3/White hankies being vigorously waved when someone in the crowd "fainted".

Regardless of age what's your three?

• Like 1

Half time scores going up on a board in the ground under score A, B, C, D etc and if you didn't have a programme, having to ask some one for a look at their programme.

Macaroon bars n spearmint chuggie. Could never quite understand that one as no one I knew liked macaroon bars!

Pink edition of the Evening Times/ green edition of The Citizen, sometimes the only way to find out the days scores on a Saturday night before either Sportscene or Scotsport came on!

Lift over the turnstile.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Clouds of steam from guys peeing along the wall at the back of the shed, and further clouds in the back yard of the tenements (now gone) between Garscube Rd and Maryhill Rd, as folk took a shortcut after the match.

Standing watching the results come in on televisions in a shop window in Maryhill Road.

The wee blue disability cars behind the goals at the north end of the ground.

I remember just about everything else that folk have described!

Watching the results come through on teletext, I still remember that Robert Dunn goal after seven seconds or so.

Stopping outside Glenn's, Hutchison's, Robertson's or Stepek (whichever it was) on Byres road to see the classifieds on STV on the way home from Firhill.

1. Running out to "I was Kaiser Bill's Batman" by Whistling Jack Smith.

2. Being lifted over the turnstiles - the original "kids go free".

3. Collecting football cards and, later, World Cup coins from Esso stations.

4. Hating Jimmy Hill because of his constant attacks on Alan Rough when he played for Scotland.

1. Running out to "I was Kaiser Bill's Batman" by Whistling Jack Smith.

2. Being lifted over the turnstiles - the original "kids go free".

3. Collecting football cards and, later, World Cup coins from Esso stations.

4. Hating Jimmy Hill because of his constant attacks on Alan Rough when he played for Scotland.

Okay but what's your three?

Some good nostlgia here - I'll go with:-

1) David Francey's radio commentraries - I think only the last 30 minutes of games could be broadcast and there were no score updates from other games.

2) The TV reports on games on BBC Scotland just after 5pm on Saturdays - the reporters had to dash from the grounds to broadcast from attic studios in Glasgow, Edinburgh,Aberdeen & Dundee - the guy who did the Edinburgh games (Alastair Dewar?) was always grumpy, invariably reporting on dismal performances by Hearts.

3) David Coleman's astonishing knowledge of obscure facts as he read out the scores as they came through on the Teleprinter - "That's Rotherham's first away win in their last seven"

Most of the above.

1. The decision whether to walk round to the shed by going up the stairs or round the back way (from the city end turnstyles).

2. The Tavern!

3. Having to go to the pie stall miles away (seemed like it at the time) when the shed had run out of something!

Edited by sb1876

3) David Coleman's astonishing knowledge of obscure facts as he read out the scores as they came through on the Teleprinter - "That's Rotherham's first away win in their last seven"

Equivilent of Jeff Stelling today , Winter. Some other ones for me. Getting papped into Jaconelli's with with two of my dad's pals kids, while they went into the pub before the game. And deciding whether to get my pie and Bovril at the wee food stall at the city end enclosure or go to the one at the back of the shed.

ah the memories!

1. walking up the steps at the city end, with the pitch gradually coming into view.- anticipation rising.

2. leaning against the same concrete barrier in the shed every game.

3. amending the front page advert space that said "to let"(the old yellow programme) to something very childish.

1. Away fans in the Shed before they put the fence up.How mental was that?

2. The Pie stall up the back of the Shed .

3. Going into the comic bookstore on Maryhill Rd to buy Marvel comics before the game.

Not mental all for most teams. Lots of fans used to swap ends at half-time.

1. My dad dumping me and brother in the queens cross cafe pre match for a roll ans sausage and coke while he got half cut in the woodside.

2. Like many the green Citizen and pink Times. The Citizen was my fave.

3. My dad and 3 uncles, all Jags fans lifting us over the turnstyle.

Oh dear, I appear to have something in my eye xausing a tear. Aagh. Old age?

In the very early '60s, seeing Kirkland St (where I lived) packed with people making their way up to the games.

Being too big for a lift over and too young to earn money to pay in, climbing up a big settee, near the nolly, behind the shed to skip in along with a few other young scallies. (For some reason this settee stayed their for several weeks - around 1968/69).

Waiting at the top of Kirkland St for the old North West bus to arrive for away games; hoping for spare seats and getting picked if there was more non-members than the bus could hold. That bus was full of total characters, including the old bloke who, on the way back after a defeat, would stand up and shout, "Are we downhearted?" To a deafening reply of "YES!"