2 Counter Attacking Goals Conceded When 1 Up And 5Mins. To Go..

thebiglemon

That is what I don't get.

1-0 up and guys all up the field.

Doolan thinks he's fouled and stops, handing the ball to Accies who run up the park through acres of space to score. Doolan could have hacked him down. But there should have been no need. If we had any kind of shape we'd have put 9 bodies between our box and their players and tried to hit them on the counter/run out time.

As I'm sure has been said elsewhere.

Thought we had made it as a top flight club when we played badly and won but no- same as last season, always going to concede. And this wasn't the defense. It was the whole team's responsibility to get behind the ball and make it hard for Hamilton.

Fair play to them- they deserved at least a point anyway.

The club has a number of problems - and I mean the club, not just Archie. Losing a game 2-1 after taking a 1-0 lead on the 85th minute is unacceptable for any professional football team, but it occasionaly happens to the best of them - the 'bad day at the office' we're going to hear a lot about over the next few days. But this wasn't a one-off. By the end of the game yesterday we had 10 players on the pitch who were with us through last season and they did exactly the same things they were roundly criticised for last season - they switched off after scoring, let the opposition back into the game and lost all composure to the extent of throwing away the game. Let's be clear - this isn't an occasional thing - it's been happening with this group for a long time now. So why hasn't this been coached out of them? It's the job of the manager and the coaching staff to teach young players how to handle this kind of situation: that's not happened. (And on a related matter, Steven Lawless is still being out-muscelled by defenders regularly, an issue that can be addressed in the gym - why isn't he physically stronger than he was at the beginning of last season?)

The solution to the lack of experience in the team was to bring in experienced players - an obvious and perfectly reasonable thing to do. When everything fell apart yesterday, two out of the three experienced players who were brought in to do this job weren't on the pitch. Stevenson substituted unnecessarily and Seaborne posted missing for reasons that no-one at the club has seen fit to share with the supporters. Why haven't we been successful in signing experienced players? In common with most t

Thistle fans, I was delighted with the signing of Stevenson as I thought it indicated that we were going to start really competing at this level. It's not happened. From the little I can glean from the manager's comments, we seem to have identified a number of targets but been unsuccessful in signing the overwhelming majority of them. Why? The General Manager the Board must take some responsibility for this. It's up to the manager to say who he wants in, but it's the role of others to make that happen.

And the third major problem of the moment relates to almost all of the above - ridiculously poor communication. No-one is expecting a personal phone call from Archie with the latest team news and gossip, but we signed two centre backs to strengthen a significant area of weakness. One of those centre backs - the experienced one who was meant to contribute to dealing with exactly the kind of problems we displayed yesterday - didn't play and wasn't on the bench with no explanation from the club as to why. The other centre back has been signed and immediately loaned to Airdrie - something I learned from reading the s

Sunday paper. Not good enough.

Coaching, recruitment and communication. Obvious areas for improvement. Is there anyone at the club who has the experience to step in and do something about this? If not, our stay in the Premiership is unlikely to be either happy or long.

• Like 3

The club has a number of problems - and I mean the club, not just Archie. Losing a game 2-1 after taking a 1-0 lead on the 85th minute is unacceptable for any professional football team, but it occasionaly happens to the best of them - the 'bad day at the office' we're going to hear a lot about over the next few days. But this wasn't a one-off. By the end of the game yesterday we had 10 players on the pitch who were with us through last season and they did exactly the same things they were roundly criticised for last season - they switched off after scoring, let the opposition back into the game and lost all composure to the extent of throwing away the game. Let's be clear - this isn't an occasional thing - it's been happening with this group for a long time now. So why hasn't this been coached out of them? It's the job of the manager and the coaching staff to teach young players how to handle this kind of situation: that's not happened. (And on a related matter, Steven Lawless is still being out-muscelled by defenders regularly, an issue that can be addressed in the gym - why isn't he physically stronger than he was at the beginning of last season?)

The solution to the lack of experience in the team was to bring in experienced players - an obvious and perfectly reasonable thing to do. When everything fell apart yesterday, two out of the three experienced players who were brought in to do this job weren't on the pitch. Stevenson substituted unnecessarily and Seaborne posted missing for reasons that no-one at the club has seen fit to share with the supporters. Why haven't we been successful in signing experienced players? In common with most t

Thistle fans, I was delighted with the signing of Stevenson as I thought it indicated that we were going to start really competing at this level. It's not happened. From the little I can glean from the manager's comments, we seem to have identified a number of targets but been unsuccessful in signing the overwhelming majority of them. Why? The General Manager the Board must take some responsibility for this. It's up to the manager to say who he wants in, but it's the role of others to make that happen.

And the third major problem of the moment relates to almost all of the above - ridiculously poor communication. No-one is expecting a personal phone call from Archie with the latest team news and gossip, but we signed two centre backs to strengthen a significant area of weakness. One of those centre backs - the experienced one who was meant to contribute to dealing with exactly the kind of problems we displayed yesterday - didn't play and wasn't on the bench with no explanation from the club as to why. The other centre back has been signed and immediately loaned to Airdrie - something I learned from reading the s

Coaching, recruitment and communication. Obvious areas for improvement. Is there anyone at the club who has the experience to step in and do something about this? If not, our stay in the Premiership is unlikely to be either happy or long.

100% agree with everything there.

Was just thinking about the 'bad day at the office' line being used already but as you say wasn't a one off.

I know they say football fans have short memories but c'mon guys, look at the bigger picture.

Happened too often now for it to be a 'bad day'.

The General Manager & communication is something I've experienced on a personal level last season. Without going into specifics, I was promised that the problem was something he was unaware of (how I'm still unsure of but however!!) but would be subsequently fixed after the first time it happened only for same thing to occur at next home game.

As I said in another thread, the club are quick to praise the support & bum us up as being the 12th man & 'build it together' but can't even communicate whether one of our new CHs has an injury or has been left out & as you rightly say haven't even communicated about the other one & him off on loan.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

Good post

3 games 3 goals lost, needs improving

Everyone bar Gallagher to blame. Defend as a team.

Balatoni takes the bulk of the blame from me! Very naive defending to say the least. He has probably been the most improved player in the team since Mair was brought in, but sadly the minute he is partnered with Aero, the old flaws came flooding back. Pretty sure he will be fine when Danny returns but we are weak at the back if and when injuries and suspensions inevitably kick in. I know Aero has had a bad time with injuries, but he was one player that I thought would take the step up comfortably. Sadly I have been proven totally wrong on that one, to date.

Balatoni takes the bulk of the blame from me! Very naive defending to say the least. He has probably been the most improved player in the team since Mair was brought in, but sadly the minute he is partnered with Aero, the old flaws came flooding back. Pretty sure he will be fine when Danny returns but we are weak at the back if and when injuries and suspensions inevitably kick in. I know Aero has had a bad time with injuries, but he was one player that I thought would take the step up comfortably. Sadly I have been proven totally wrong on that one, to date.

Correct

I know Aero has had a bad time with injuries, but he was one player that I thought would take the step up comfortably. Sadly I have been proven totally wrong on that one, to date.

Agree with you re step up.

When he first came into the club he brought the ball down, played the easy pass & on a quite a few occasions played long cross field balls to switch the attack. Reminded me a little of Paterson in sense of how comfortable he was on the ball.

He was our main penalty taker. You don't get that unless you can strike the ball well & have confidence in your own technique ' ability.

Now, even though it's a league above, the ball's a hot potato & he wants to get rid of it anywhere as soon as.

His confidence is obviously shot to pieces at the moment for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Call me a pedant if you like, but we conceded one goal on the break when one up and 5 mins to play. We conceded the second on the break when pushing up trying to win the game with the scores level. Getting caught on the counter for the second goal is easier to understand than the first.

What's especially frustrating for me is that, with 5 minutes to go I had Conrad as my MOTM. It was Aero that looked a bombscare and severely lacking confidence.

On the positive side, I though Keenan was solid enough.

• Like 1

Balatoni is a more than capable centre back in this league, really solid, gets on top of their strikers and only has the occasional slip (which even world top CBs have). What he needs is someone to rely on next to him each week. Seaborne seems that person, but that leaves no back up. Lindseys lack of action would suggest Archie isn't happy with him yet, although from what I've seen he is ready to step up. Muirhead simply isn't good enough and hasn't stepped up from championship level.

Seeing the Accies 1st goal on the highlights. Looks like O'Donnell was playing Andreu onside while the rest held a line in the 18 yard line. O'Donnell about a yard and a half deeper.

Also our keeper got 2 very solid paws on the ball but....

Gall did get a good hand on it, however had it not been for him we would have lost in dundee and been beaten by hamilton more comfortably, keepers the least of our concerns at the minute

I was annoyed by Archie's comments in yesterday's Sunday Mail in which he said something along the lines of 'I didn't celebrate our goal as I had a feeling something was just around the corner'. If that's the case then he should have instructed the team to tighten it up, sit deeper and kick anything that moved.

If he can see/feel things aren't going our way then he has a duty to try and fix it.

I was annoyed by Archie's comments in yesterday's Sunday Mail in which he said something along the lines of 'I didn't celebrate our goal as I had a feeling something was just around the corner'. If that's the case then he should have instructed the team to tighten it up, sit deeper and kick anything that moved.

If he can see/feel things aren't going our way then he has a duty to try and fix it.

Agreed, that's a strange comment from a manager. He should have been doing something about it!

Agreed, that's a strange comment from a manager. He should have been doing something about it!

I agree too, however I had the same feeling and also failed to act. Knowing that we seem to be most fragile after we score, I was tempted to put money on a Hamilton goal, but never did.

Thought that myself but found the comments just annoying rather than being annoyed at Archie. I'm not too sure that's not just a case of honesty and most managers can't do much about that sort of momentum late in the game. Above poster will know far more than most about press statements/releases etc but I think a more experienced manager wouldn't have left himself open to such criticism even if he was at fault.

On a slightly different track. Someone posted after the County game when the players were celebrating a goal that Stevenson was in there telling them to screw the nut and concentrate. I mind Mair doing likewise on a couple of occasions last season. Good captaincy then but Ryan was off the pitch by that time on Saturday. I'm not sure there was any player that exudes a similar sort of authority on the field to "captain" the team over the last few minutes. I'm excluding Gallacher thru distance.

What I'm trying to convey is the need for a manager to hand over the reins to a captain that can by and large do his thinking for him after the kick off for 90+ minutes.. That's why I prefer to see a captain being a central defender or in central midfield but above all someone who'll be, barring injury, on the park for the entire game.