V Aberdeen, Saturday 30Th September 2014

stillresigned

When the season started did anyone expect we would get a result at Aberdeen ? Don't think so , so no big surprise but there are some people on here who absolutely revel

in defeats .You can almost feel the glee.

I haven't managed to get to a game this season but loved the style we played last season .Have we changed our style?

When the season started did anyone expect we would get a result at Aberdeen ? Don't think so , so no big surprise but there are some people on here who absolutely revel

in defeats .You can almost feel the glee.

I haven't managed to get to a game this season but loved the style we played last season .Have we changed our style?

Who's revelling? I haven't seen a post from jaggybunnet yet.

We don't play nice football. Understandable today away against Aberdeen but even against Morton we were resorting to big punts down the park from Muirhead.

Those saying it was Aberdeen, we should get beaten, we should get outplayed etc.

What about last week at home vs Hamilton?

The result against Ross County in our opening game has well & truly been put into perspective with results against them since.

You're spot on Veejag. Teams have worked us out but I thought that why was the manager was spending pre season experimenting with different systems?

Unless he meant playing without a recognised centre forward, & without being there today, I haven't seen any evidence of us playing any different tactics to last season.

Surely Morton midweek would've been the chance to give Duggan & Doolan a run together?

Partick Thistle last yr. this yr

No. Player

1 Scott Fox. Paul Gallagher

2 Stephen O'Donnell. SOD

3 Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. Jake Carroll

4 Sean Welsh. Seaborne

5 Aaron Muirhead. Balatoni

6 Conrad Balatoni. Bannigan

22 Gary Fraser Fraser

8 Stuart Bannigan. Osman

7 James Craigen Elliott

11 Steven Lawless. Stevenson

9 Kris Doolan Higgy

Subs. Subs

12 Paul Gallacher. Fox

17 John Baird. Muirhead

20 Mark Kerr. Craigen

10 Ross Forbes. Lawless

19 Isaac Osbourne. Doolan

14 Christie Elliott. Wilson

21 Henoc Mukendi. Keenan

The above are the team that started last yr and the team that started today,can someone show me where we are considerably weaker.

ATS has left,but has been replaced with a guy that has started 1 game for us, so jury is still out on him.

Welsh..still out injured, so bring in Osbourne, but osman seems just as good if not better.

Forbes out...Stevenson in, yes he hasn't started well, but he should be at least Forbes level at worse.

Kerr out...Higgy in. No comparison!

Also we have signed another striker today,

So by my reckoning we are better off at this stage of the season than last yr. another couple of loan deals and we should have a squad capable of keeping us up no problem.

Partick Thistle last yr. this yr

No. Player

1 Scott Fox. Paul Gallagher

2 Stephen O'Donnell. SOD

3 Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. Jake Carroll

4 Sean Welsh. Seaborne

5 Aaron Muirhead. Balatoni

6 Conrad Balatoni. Bannigan

22 Gary Fraser Fraser

8 Stuart Bannigan. Osman

7 James Craigen Elliott

11 Steven Lawless. Stevenson

9 Kris Doolan Higgy

Subs. Subs

12 Paul Gallacher. Fox

17 John Baird. Muirhead

20 Mark Kerr. Craigen

10 Ross Forbes. Lawless

19 Isaac Osbourne. Doolan

14 Christie Elliott. Wilson

21 Henoc Mukendi. Keenan

The above are the team that started last yr and the team that started today,can someone show me where we are considerably weaker.

ATS has left,but has been replaced with a guy that has started 1 game for us, so jury is still out on him.

Welsh..still out injured, so bring in Osbourne, but osman seems just as good if not better.

Forbes out...Stevenson in, yes he hasn't started well, but he should be at least Forbes level at worse.

Kerr out...Higgy in. No comparison!

Also we have signed another striker today,

So by my reckoning we are better off at this stage of the season than last yr. another couple of loan deals and we should have a squad capable of keeping us up no problem.

Some of these players weren't good enough last year that's why we finished 10th , to push on and avoid another relegation battle we should have done better in the transfer market.

We don't play nice football. Understandable today away against Aberdeen but even against Morton we were resorting to big punts down the park from Muirhead.

You are wrong about that. We played great football against Ross County, and for most of the match against Dundee, even when we were hampered by injury and a sending off. Today there were spells of good possession and passing, unfortunately there was no threat on the Dons goal. We lacked a decisive edge that Aberdeen possessed.

I wasn't at the Hamilton or Morton matches, so I can't comment. But you seem determined to accentuate the negative.

Can people please remember the season is pretty bloody young? I'm confident this team will improve as they play more. If folk are so adamant that this season will be an unmitigated disaster and Archibald is the worst thing since Dick Campbell, then maybe they should give the rest of the year, and this forum, a miss.

Or if constant complaining is what makes you happy, go right ahead. We all have to be true to ourselves, I guess.

*Edited to change Hamilton to Ross County, sorry, my mistake.

Edited by Richard Nixon

Well Mr Nixon, I must have been at the wrong game last Saturday. We were dreadful against Hamilton, and deserved to lose. I agree Its far too soon to pronounce judgement on the team or the manager, but we need to be realistic. Some of Archie's decisions have been strange to say the least - no Doolan in starting line-ups, farming out a new signing when we are thin in that position, and seemingly reluctant or unable to change tactics when faced with agressive teams such as Hamilton.

You are wrong about that. We played great football against Hamilton

I wasn't at the Hamilton or Morton matches

We were awful against Hamilton and Morton. Gallacher had to make some excellent stops to make up for the shocking defence.

Balatoni is a complete disaster of a player.

Some of these players weren't good enough last year that's why we finished 10th , to push on and avoid another relegation battle we should have done better in the transfer market.

But that's where you are wrong, they were good enough to keep us up. And the original statements were we are weaker...we are not weaker than last yr at his time. Also what gives us a divine right not to be in a relegation battle, we have one of the smallest budgets in this league and going by the current transfer window , we ain't going to attract world beaters.

But that's where you are wrong, they were good enough to keep us up. And the original statements were we are weaker...we are not weaker than last yr at his time. Also what gives us a divine right not to be in a relegation battle, we have one of the smallest budgets in this league and going by the current transfer window , we ain't going to attract world beaters.

Archie thought a lot of these players weren't good enough , that's why we got Lyle Taylor , Lee Mair , Chris Erskine , Prince Bauben in January , would we have stayed up without these signings ? , be better if you compared the end of season players rather than the team that started last season .

We still have 90% of the squad we had last yr with a few additions! that doesn't make us considerably weaker. The team before the jan window secured us 14-15 points last yr, let's see how many we have this yr. yes we need and hopefully do get another couple of players in, but will not be surprised if it was loan deals like last. So after all the windows are shut only time will tell if we have a weaker side, but not 4 games into a season.

I don't think anyone expects us to sign world beaters.

I expect the players that Archie does sign to be good enough to play in the league.

I expect the players to go to out of the field and give the opposition a hard game and make them work hard for their victory.

I don't see any of that. I see excuses for failure.

Who's revelling? I haven't seen a post from jaggybunnet yet.

been out at a stag night/day but here for whats its worth is my view on all your posts, F*** off and support some other team if you cant hack that thistle will lose games i am sick of listening to to you moan when you seem to have no realistic view on what thistle are funded and capable of doing, no i am not happy that thistle lost but under stand that that life is like that, anyway lots of love and i am away to my bed :thumbsup: .

Edited by jaggybunnet
  • Like 6

Thistle outplayed by Aberdeen shocker. What else did anybody expect? Wasn't at the game but it seems we were never in it. We cannot live with an established Premier club that gets 11,000 at home games. Quelle fuc*!ng surprise. Some people were obviously seduced by beating County 4-0. Turns out it is just par for the course. We don't have the best manager or the best players in the world. Or the best supporters. After years and years or mediocrity I have witnessed fantastic football over the last couple of years. There will be ups and downs and if you're not ready for that then Firhill is not the place for you. Don't get me wrong, I'm really disappointed about today's performance and result. It's a feeling I know well. I love Partick Thistle. Thick and thin. Yes, I would love to see us beat Bayern Munich to win the Champions League. The fact that it won't happen doesn't stop me buying my season ticket and turning up in hope rather than expectation week after week. And I get my season ticket early to give Archie the chance to get players in. If Archie doesn't sign world beaters then I don't hold him personally responsible. I will do the same next season. It is fine to express opinion and to criticise but be careful what you wish for. Rant over (pours large grappa, lights cigarette and takes a deep breath)

Excellent post.

been out at a stag night/day but here for whats its worth is my view on all your posts, F*** off and support some other team if you cant hack that thistle will lose games i am sick of listening to to you moan when you seem to have no realistic view on what thistle are funded and capable of doing, no i am not happy that thistle lost but under stand that that life is like that, anyway lots of love and i am away to my bed :thumbsup: .

Haha! Nice one, JB!

Edited by Jaggernaut

didn't say they were the right players for Ross County, but it was levelled at us that players didn't want to move from England to Scotland which I thought was strange since over the years ICT and Ross County have signed a lot of players from England .

That's not a fair response. Thistle trialled and didn't pick many players because they weren't good enough. I am sure it would be easy to attract players that are not at Scottish Premiership level.

Over the years being when Hearts, Hibs and Rangers were all in the top league and those players would get additional exposure as a result of games against them being on TV.

This season is not a typical season when it comes to bringing players to the top division.

Thistle outplayed by Aberdeen shocker.

What else did anybody expect? Wasn't at the game but it seems we were never in it. We cannot live with an established Premier club that gets 11,000 at home games.

The fact that it won't happen doesn't stop me buying my season ticket and turning up in hope rather than expectation week after week. And I get my season ticket early to give Archie the chance to get players in.

It is fine to express opinion and to criticise but be careful what you wish for.

& the week before when were out thought by Hamilton? Not all about being out played. The manager in his post match interview suggests that they went with a plan but the players didn't listen. That's 2 weeks in a row that the manger has been critical of his players for something he knew would happen or didn't happen.

Hibs (& Hearts though their circumstances were different) both get home crowds around the 10k mark. & on the other side of the argument Hamilton get crowds of one man & his dog yet we couldn't live with their work rate.

As do most folk in this board. I'm not the manger's biggest fan but I bought my ticket early to support him at bringing in better quality players in hope that last season's mistakes of conceding goals in the last 5 minutes of games to drop points wouldn't happen again. I've also stated that I don't think it's been his fault that we haven't got the players in. That blame lies elsewhere. He's done his job in identifying targets. But here we are a day before the window shuts playing Ryan Stevenson as a striker having no got anyone in yet up top. As I said before, I'm sure Steven Pressley will get us someone by tomorrow night. Whether they improve the team or not is a different matter.

You're right. It is a forum & fans will have differing opinions. As long as you can back that opinion up I see no need for some of the abuse those who think we're not kicking on as a club get.

I'm disappointed in our performances so far this season as it seems we've gone backwards from last year even.

Though to be fair, it's too early to judge with signings bedding in but there you have it. Time to judge is after the first quarter.

What concerns me though is that we continue to look nervy, almost bombscare-esque at corners. I'd have thought with 2 centre halves & our GK coach playing we'd have improved in that part of the game. We've already conceded the goals in the last 5minutes which, not matter what anyone says, will affect the players psychologically & we're not getting players beyond the ball into the box which means we're going to struggle to score goals.

For me that means we're playing the wrong system or the wrong players for the system we're trying to play..

For whatever reason, the manger doesn't fancy Doolan. I don't buy the argument about Stevenson being a more physical player. Doolan can hold the ball up, wins more than his fair share of headers & 10+ goals in your first season in SPFL in a team tha eventually finished 10th a more than fair return.

The problem I see with Doolan is the same problem I see with Stevenson. You don't get players close enough to them, they're isolated, fighting a losing battle & ultimately look like they're playing sh*t.

A couple of times last year Archie said about playing 4-4-2 with Dools & Taylor but other than the 4-0 Hearts home defeat where the whole team looked lost, I don't recall them being on the park together.

Is it not maybe time to look at different systems as the manager suggested himself they were working on pre-season?

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy
  • Like 1

BGM, you are responding to a selectively edited post. The full post was a self confessed rant. An alcohol fuelled, disappointed thistle supporter rant clearly aimed at the 'I pay my money every week and I demand success and I demand to be kept fully informed of all issues by PTFC' brigade.

We are a small club in a city with two other clubs with large support. We are a poor club. We are a yo-yo club. We are not due a trophy for another 7 years. Present those facts to any prospective manager or player and one may begin to understand the problem the club has in attracting top talent to Firhill. It really shouldn't come as a surprise to any Jags fan.

Can't argue with much of your constructive criticism. As for Hamilton, they have hit a purple patch early on which has surprised everybody. Well done them.