St Mirren Again

ThickAsThieves

Don't understand the logic of the fans who see this as meaningless. We have a real chance of winning this trophy - just look at the other teams who have done in the past 10 years. Obviously I'd want to win both but if I had to choose one of the two Saints games to win it would have been this - now we just need the draw to be kind to us.

Rangers then? :P

Poor, poor game. Good games from Lawless (MOTM). Seabourne, Osman, Balatoni, McMIllan, Bannigan and Carol would all have got pass marks from me the rest of the starters were well below par.

Thought Craigan was not too bad at all, full of running and effort and his performance far outweighed anything that Stevenson offered. Complete passenger.

I know this may be revolutionary, but I have an idea of how we can improve. There is no doubt we are ok until the final third, so my idea is, I know it will never catch on, but here goes.....SHOOT FFS. Someone needs to take responsibility and put the sanny right through the ball. Pass pass pass pass pass, out wide, pass pass, backwards, repeat.

Doolan missed a chance very early doors, apart from that the service was not great.

Big Dan looks good and Conrad looks better for him being there. Carroll looks like he is becoming a player.

Nice home draw please.

• Like 1

Don't know how many ways to say this.. Id rather we beat the team who hadn't taken any other points this season, in the competition that matters to our financial survival. Instead of getting into the next round of the cup

I get that. Probably even feel the same way (though I won't if we end up in the final). But I don't really get the point of reacting to a win by dwelling on a previous defeat. Team couldn't do anything tonight other than put that behind them and move on.

First half was dreadful stuff. I thoguht we improved a lot in the second and edged it, although they did miss two good chances towards the end. Seaborne makes a huge difference at the back and as well as the others i thought Higginbotham had a decent second half. All in all, I'm happy tonight - reasonable performance and first quarter final for 13 years.

Lawless with a deserved MOTM award after his performances over the past few weeks, he did fade out of the game but in 90mins he was our best player. Carroll played very well, getting more like Sinky by the game, if he keeps that up he'll do nicely at LB.

Thought we played quite well & controlled most of the game but didn't really create much, & what we did create, we fluffed excellently. St. Mirren really didn't do much at all in the game but I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd sneaked a goal at some point.

Balatoni had a decent game, as did Seaborne & Osman. I thought Craigen did well too, he's a clever player, if he just had a little more pace he would be a regular starter. Elliot contributed to the goal very well. Fox needs dropped, he'll cost us points in the form he is in at the moment, couldn't catch a cold.

• Members

Fox had a great save to keep the scores level early in the second half. Had one dodgy palm away in the first half, but other than that, a good steady game imo.

I thought Craigen was very poor. Yes he does lots of running about, but every time he was involved in the opposition half, we lost possession. Didn't win one single tackle all the time he was on the park. We can't afford that in midfield.

• Like 1

Thank feck we won that, To have sat through that and lost would have been murder.

Some good performances through the gloom though. Seabo improves Balatoni out of sight and Carrol looks as if he might be a player.

Lawless ran his guts out too.

Still worried about Foxy.One absolutely brilliant save and a couple of good ones but some seriously bad flapping at crosses.

Wow. Just reading some other comments. It really is amazing how different folks opinions and views on the game are.

Some folk know what they're going to see before they go to the game and nothing that happens in front of them will change their mind.

My own view was that Seabourne has a good steadying effect on the defence (you could see him shouting and signalling at the other players all through the game, to hold a line, mark someone and so on).

Our problem in the 1st half was the reverse of Friday - tonight our defence looked fine but our forward line was very poor. Doolan was out of sorts and Craigan seemed to find it hard to control a ball or make a decent pass. He was full of energy but a bit of a headless chicken.

Second half the manager must have had words because we looked a lot better going forward although our shooting was pretty woeful. Because of that we had to struggle into extra time. The goal was bit of initiative by Elliot running at the defence and shooting - the keeper saved but Eccleston was in the right place for a tap in. Credit for the team after that for seeing the game out.

Good to get a win and good to get through the round to stay in the cup. My feeling was that the team gradually got better as the game went on. On top of that surely Doolan, Craigen and even Fox will get better and as long as Seabourne continues fit to play we will progress. That's the only downside, I worry about him being out of the team.

That was a long night. We played better last Friday...but we were still the better of two not very good teams. If Gary Fraser had been playing he would probably have had at least ten shots at goal...we set up numerous decent positions but either fluffed the shots or passed the ball on or didn't get players up in support.

Lawless again did well and Carroll looked decent...the rest did ok...Balatoni came on to a game after a dodgy start...Higgy was a bit subdued...Craigen was more involved than Stevenson has been...Ecclestone scored an easy tap-in without looking anything special...Elliot made an impact as sub!

There is definitely a spark missing from the team just now - there's a tendency to turn and play the ball back rather than make an incisive break - we're not getting the penetrating runs from O'Donnell & ATS on the flanks and there's no goal threat from midfield - the formation doesn't look right with Craigen/Stevenson playing up with Doolan.

We're through...but I want to see us play with a bit more verve & tempo.

First half absolutely dreadful. Second half was about ten times better and still pretty bad. Of the two sides I feel we deserved the win. In the 2nd half quite a few decent balls put in their box and nearly all from our left. Combination of lack of anticipation and a wee bit bad luck meant we had to endure an extra 30 minutes.

Positives apart from being in the next round were mostly things that didn't happen like neither Higgy nor Banzo got booked.and we didn't concede a daft late goal. For once I won't be blaming my advancing years when in a couple of weeks time I can't recall a thing about tonight's game.

I take that any day. Not the best match I have attended, but we are in the quarter final of the cup.

Lawless deserved MOTM, ran all night, faded in extra time. Carroll, seaborne had decent game, but thought the rest of the starting 11 didn't turn up tonight.

Elliott did well when he came on and I actually thought we were stronger when Stevenson replaced Craigen.

We will play a million times better and lose games this season, so take the bad performance with a victory any day.

I thought we played well but in front of goal we were poor. I thought we were the better side throughout the match. When Higgy is not on top form we struggle creatively. Wonder if he is carrying a knock?

As for the man of the match it surely should have been Osman, he was excellent all night. Made tackles, won headers and made lots of accurate passes. If he keeps playing like that we will struggle to hold on to him.

Onto Seabourne, another very good performance. Clearly organizing things at the back and his distribution is good also. The more I see him the more convinced I am by him. Glad we have him on a two year deal.

I thought I would have saw more positive comments about Stevenson’s performance after he came on as sub. For the first time he looked like the player he was for hearts last season. Not everything came off for him but his drive and determination was a big plus for us.

• Members

Out of interest Will, given our injuries, who would you play rather than Craigan?

Welsh must be due back? I heard he was 6 weeks away in March....

At the moment and in that position? Stevenson every time. Or maybe bring Higgy inside, Lawless to the left and SOD on the right. Craigen looks like he has absolutely zero confidence at the moment.