Quarter Final

ThickAsThieves

Watched the tackle 5 times now and I really can't believe some people are watching the same clip as me.

It was a shocking tackle - well worthy of a red card. If that happened the other way round every single one of us would have been shouting for a red card. Anyone who thinks that Bannigan is unlucky is quite simply clutching at straws. He may have got the ball but he's absolutely clattered through the boy to get it.

What's more - there's absolutely no need for him to make the challenge. The opposition player has his back to goal on the halfway line - why does Bannigan even feel the need to dive in like that? Complete stupidity. Considering the pressure he put the rest of the team under, and the fact that he's done this so many times before, it's well worthy of a fine for me.

I do like Bannigan as a player - for me he was our best player tonight until the sending off. But his disciplinary record is completely unacceptable. He picks up needless bookings and red cards time and time again. He should have been spoken to by the manager long before tonight. It's completely out of order to leave your team mates a man down so many times like he has done.

That said, the reaction of the other 10 players on the park after half time was cowardly. There was no fight, no spirit, no leadership and no pride. Balatoni for me has been found out at this level. The centre half pairing should be Frans and Seabourne when available.

Archie's decision not to start Doolan really did surprise me as well. I'm all for giving Ecclestone a chance, but tonight? Surely in this situation you stick with a guy who you know will always give you a shift, has a great first touch and has a good goal scoring record for the club. Can't help but feel like Doolan's treatment by the club over the past year or so is pretty poor given how good he's been for us. Archie seems to show unwavering loyalty to Balatoni but absolutely none to Doolan.

You can say what you like about the referee, but the players on the park were a disgrace tonight.

How we react to this will define our season. We need something from Hamilton on Saturday or i really do worry about where we'll end up.

• Like 3

Well I suppose if you don't include Fox's aberration we only lost two goals from open play. That and there was no queue at the pie stall and I've run out of plus points. Bannigan's tackle was stupidy personified. Probably not a sending off but in that area of the pitch, with a ref like Clancy and at Parkhead of all places it was.plain daft. Doubly annoying as Bannigan was arguably the best player on the park at the time and certainly our most productive player. I've always thought that Bannigan would struggle as a left back simply because he's not a clean tackler. Tonight that has most surely not been disproved .

I'm hoping that Archie brought on Higgy for match fitness reasons as I didn't think it would've been the most logical of substitutions given the circumstances. Anyway good to see him returning.

Past midnight and another day and I feel that this hammering can be put in some perspective. I honestly believe the 1-4 at Tannadice in the same competition was as poor a second half performance. The 1-5 at home to Motherwell when we scored first was even worse.

Bannigan is not an aggressive or particularly combative midfielder but he can be wreckless and by the looks of it he has absolutely no learning curve...

He's done this time and time again so when is he going to grow out of this? Archie has to have real words and maybe some time in the bench to let him think about how he can improve as a professional. Especially with Welsh and Fraser returning to fitness, there should be ample cover in that area.

There's no way of saying Banzo lost us the game tonight but he alone certainly ended it as a competition...

You're better than this Banzo... Sort it out.

• Like 1

Was a red.

Celtic players reactions didn't help though.

Clancey interestingly felt no one else (us or them) entitled to a yellow after the skirmish.

Inept the best word to describe second half performance though to be fair first half Ecclestone did planets running about but encountered same problem as Doolan, namely no one near him.

Not sure how fit Fraser is but think Saturday he has to come back in. Stevenson also & Frans replacing Conrad- his challenge for the penalty summed up the night.

Players & management should be refunding part of the ticket money tonight.

Embarrassing.

probably, but would Broon have been sent off for a similar tackle last night?

You said it was never a red card. But admit you'd probably be calling for a red if an opposition player committed the same foul.

I would hope that Brown would be sent off, it was a wreckless challenge.

No matter where you are playing, home or away, you do not put in stupid tackles like that and I'm certain Archie will have spoken to the players before the game to tell them exactly that.

We put in 4 tackles which the ref adjudged to be against the rules of the game. 3 resulted in goals, one in a red card.

Two things that bug me most about last night are that 1) we were battling away, passing and running, and competing well in the game, until the red, and 2) we simply didn't have any spirit or leadership in the second half. Result - humiliation.

I defended Fox last season but I really can't understand why he's keeping Gallacher out of the team now. A cool, experienced goalie who organises his defence could make a bit of difference and I doubt we'd have lost so many with Gallacher in there last night. 3 or even 4 would have been respectable. 6 is laughing stock territory.

Bannigan's a weird player. Some great games, and others with awful decisions. This one's up there with ducking while in the wall at Pittodrie. There was just no need for it.

Carroll was on the bench, wasn't he?

I'd have taken Craigan off, moved McMillan in beside Osman and put Carroll at left back.

In a way I feel a wee but cheated with Higgy coming on, it was an admission of defeat and felt like a "just go on and get a run around for half an hour, don't put in any tackles or get injured" type move.

He certainly wasn't brought in to change the game or provide more defensive support.

You said it was never a red card. But admit you'd probably be calling for a red if an opposition player committed the same foul.

wouldn't we all do that??? :lol: We're all hypocrites in that respect

I only had a brief look at the tackle this morning on the you tube clip and it didn't look that bad. I'll look again later. Opinion seems to be mixed on here as to whether it was red, yellow or nothing,

I stand by my assertion that no Celtic player would have been sent off last night for a similar tackle though

• Like 1

Carroll was on the bench, wasn't he?

I'd have taken Craigan off, moved McMillan in beside Osman and put Carroll at left back.

In a way I feel a wee but cheated with Higgy coming on, it was an admission of defeat and felt like a "just go on and get a run around for half an hour, don't put in any tackles or get injured" type move.

He certainly wasn't brought in to change the game or provide more defensive support.

Agree..

Carroll apparantly has played more as a midfielder in his career than a left back so he would've been able to slot in.

The manager saying about a bit of naïvety in the team in today's EveningTimes but think there was more than a little naïvety in his tactics when we're 3 down & have 10 men.

Damage limitation should've been the game then.

Doesn't help with individual errors like Fox & Balatoni though.

Tackle was rash guy was going nowhere in the middle of the park, i have watched it and if it was a cletic player i would want a red so probably is a red.

Did Osman have to tackle the guy for the first goal ? thought there was enough guys around to shut him out.

Before the second half i said we will either come out energised or lacking any fight- unfortunately it was the second, Archie should have change dit at half time and shored up 4-4-1 as ecclestone was causing them probems with the ball into the channels, Craigen is not Bannigan and is too lightweight in the middle when playing a 2 would stevenson made a difference or indeed shove mcmillan in there.

Fox while not at fault bar one, is great shot stopper but his distribution is poor especially from dead balls (aim for the line and hope it stays in) Gallagher couldve provided a stabilising influence out there.

Anyway onwards to Hamilton and an improved performance with hopefully Higgy and Fraser/Welsh playing or in the squad

Red card aside, I thought he'd won the ball cleanly, but watching it on the train heading home think it was a red, I think the 'moving this player to that formation' comments just serve to highlight how stretched we are. The nature of our squad seems to be that we plug holes and hope that something works out. Giving Ecclestone a start (ran hard, I don't fault his effort) was probably a gamble for Archie. It didn't work out. Would Dools have made a difference? Who knows and if launching high balls at him, probably not.

Final score without the sending off? Who knows but the best we could have done was to run them close, taken any chances etc. Didn't happen. Celtic looked fitter and stronger in most areas; just better footballers (and maybe they should be given their wage bill). Also pains me to say it, but Leigh Griffiths has skill (best compliment I can give). The free kicks were sweet and both products of fouls in areas where you could see goals coming. Perfect night for long-range efforts, no apparent wind etc. Contrast this to beach ball Saturday last weekend where every effort flew several feet over the bar.

Still in shock, f***ing raging but proud to be a Jags fan.

A really stupid and needless challenge by Bannigan at a time we were still in the game but I think it was a yellow card, only because he doesn't go over the top of the ball. Although I personally don't feel it was a red, a player is always going to put a referee on the spot when making a challenge like that and is not worth the risk. The reaction of the Celtic players clearly didn't help with his decision mind you.

I mentioned on another thread the other day what a cool head Bannigan has when he is on the ball, he makes it look so easy sometimes. However, when defending he seems to be a different player. It has happened too many times now (he put us under real pressure at Tynecastle in January) and he needs to learn and learn quickly. He is too important a player for us to be sitting in the stand three or four games a season.

Even if a red card hadn't been given, we would still be talking about Bannigan picking up "another silly booking".

Edited by Jag