Just In From Firhill

thebiglemon

Comfortable win and well deserved (npi). I reckon I wouldn't be in the minority when I say I started getting a bit worried after the Ainsworth goal but any team would've been stunned after that quality. That spell apart I thought we handled our lead very well and that's something we rarely do.

Plenty of good performances today but on reflection Lawless being passed fit was a major blessing. Our goals were all well taken with Doolan's the best of the three. Don't think tho' we'll see a better goal at Firhill than theirs, which was absolutely stunning.

Comfortable win and well deserved (npi). I reckon I wouldn't be in the minority when I say I started getting a bit worried after the Ainsworth goal but any team would've been stunned after that quality. That spell apart I thought we handled our lead very well and that's something we rarely do.

Plenty of good performances today but on reflection Lawless being passed fit was a major blessing. Our goals were all well taken with Doolan's the best of the three. Don't think tho' we'll see a better goal at Firhill than theirs, which was absolutely stunning.

Dools was better...

Old Jewish joke:

Couple in a restaurant

She says "the food in here is terrible"

He says "Yes and such small portions"

Moral- People will complain for the sake of it (my interpretation)

Woody Allen used it in Annie Hall or Manhattan

Sorry, still don't get it. In the example you are using, there seems to be 2 negatives. I said that even although I didn't think it was a good game of football, I am happy with the result.

Tricky, over to you.

If a week is a long time in politics, then what is it in football? Compared to the truly shocking display at Rugby Park, this looked like an entirely different side playing in Firhill sun. rain, sun, rain!

While we were certainly not back to our scintillating best, Ieel that the return of O'Donnell and the inclusion of Seabourne in the central defence adds tremendously to the shape and style of the team. Still not totally convinced about Fox, who still has a remarkable tendency to 'flap' for such a physically big guy, even so his late save was tremendous.

To be honest I have never found Woody Allen all that funny and this "joke" is no exception, always preffered his brother Dave.

It's not really a joke- more a witticism created to make a point

And it had nothing to do with Woody Allen other than him quoting from it

The world is divided into those who love Woody Allen movies and those who hate them. I would have trouble forming a meaningful relationship with anyone who held the latter view. This is not to say they are all brilliant; I refer to the cream of his output

Edited by thebiglemon

It's not really a joke- more a witticism created to make a point

And it had nothing to do with Woody Allen other than him quoting from it

The world is divided into those who hate Woody Allen movies and those who hate them. I would have trouble forming a meaningful relationship with anyone who held the latter view. This is not to say they are all brilliant; I refer to the cream of his output

There are those that hate Woody Allen movies and those who hate people that hate Woody Allen movies? Is that a witticism too?

Just nipped over here to give my brain a bit of respite from the 'Sack Archie' thread and it seems to be getting over heated again.

My brain that is.

Not saying yesterday's result wasn't welcome to everyone on here but it does create a void for some. A wee check at who's posting non football input on a football forum, as their usual negative claptrap is redundant this weekend, kinda supports this.

• Like 1

Thought before the game on Saturday that if we could score first, we would go onto win relatively comfortably. Admittedly, it wasn't as comfortable as we would have liked (at least for the ten minutes or so following Ainsworth's wonder strike) but I thought it was a fairly convincing result nonetheless.

I suppose the naysayers may point to the quality of the opposition which is a strange thing to say considering they're last season's runners up; that was on par with one of the poorest Motherwell teams I've seen. Ojamaa apart, they were extremely limited and rarely looked like threatening. The big problem they've got for me, apart from consistently losing their better players and running on an increasingly reduced budget, is that the spine of their team is ageing quickly - McManus and Sutton and to a slightly lesser extent, Hammell and Lasley all had their moments of looking pretty cumbersome and like their best days were behind them. The players supplementing them will need to step up very quickly or else they'll struggle all season; the boy Law can't defend and O'Donnell had him on toast all day, O'Brien is nowhere near the class of Hutchinson and Vigurs has yet to find the form from his County days.

But all that said, it would be very unfair to take anything away from what was a pretty good performance from us. The reintroduction of O'Donnell was pivotal and gave us the attacking width that we've been missing recently. Personally, I prefer McMillan as our right-back but Saturday was a great example of what O'Donnell brings to the team and if we can slot the former in at left-back then I would be happy with that. I still think O'Donnell's defending leaves a lot to be desired and against better opposition, we might have been punished on a couple of occasions but I suppose that's the opportunity cost we need to pay to benefit from his attacking qualities.

Seaborne was colossal and seemed to really embrace the captaincy, and the aforementioned McMillan really helped to tighten up our left side which had been becoming a bit of problem. A lot of our play seemed to go through Osman who rarely wastes possession and keeps it tidy but not sure on the sustainability of a play-maker role. Lawless continued his recent good form and the pass for Bannigan's goal was a beauty. Doolan was back to something resembling his best after a couple of indifferent performances and it was a great finish with his weaker foot. I thought Christie brought to the team what I'd hoped Stevenson would and he put in a fine display.

Craigen is a funny one with the fans; there doesn't appear to be any middle ground - you either love him and think he's the best thing since sliced bread or detest him and question whether he's a footballer. Personally, I think he sees things that others might not (not dissimilar to what Shaggy used to be like) and when it comes off like it did in the run-up to Doolan's goal, it's great; but when it doesn't, some may find it quite easy to label it as incompetence. I think he too often floats on the periphery of a game without imposing himself but he's got a knack of making pretty significant contributions which is hard to argue with despite his anonymity at times.

Nice to go into the international break on the back of a win but I'm not particularly confident that our inconsistency won't continue in our next game. Before the game yesterday, Gary Neville was talking about Arsenal's fragility and incapability of going away from home, being hard to break down and then nicking a 1-0 - all things that strike a chord with us, unfortunately. Similarly, I don't think we've got the personnel, much like Arsenal, to facilitate a game-plan like that so it leaves us with the sole option of playing United at their own game which I fear won't end very well.

Edited by Armand2
  • Like 2

Just shows how vital that first goal can be, if you use it to your advantage (unlike the Hamilton/St.Mirren games)

We were stung by Killie last week, after Doolan had missed that early chance. What goes around comes around though. On Saturday, after the early Ojamma let off, we took control.

Every set piece was a worry though. Fox played well enough but I still believe Gallacher is the better 'keeper. I just wonder if the board are trying to increase Foxy's game time/value, in the hope that we are able to sell him on?

Fox played well enough but I still believe Gallacher is the better 'keeper. I just wonder if the board are trying to increase Foxy's game time/value, in the hope that we are able to sell him on?

It's funny how Thistle often share the same assets or woes (usually the latter) with the international side. Just now at the national level there's a fair amount of comment about having three excellent goalies in Marshall, Gordon & McGregor while most of the worries are about central defence. I won't get dragged in to discussing our central defenders as they did fine at the weekend but we too appear well off on the goalie front.

Like a lot I prefer Gallacher to Fox but I'm maybe in the minority as with me it's only a marginal preference. Scott had a few superb saves on Saturday and I thought he kept the score down at Rugby Pk. On his game, and he has gone thru long terms of consistency as well as a couple of slumps in form, he's a well above average keeper in our division, Our third keeper, Scully, is still getting rave reviews.at Dunfermline. Yet another clean sheet, his 5th out of 8, and a really good save I saw on video on Saturday. Apart from his kicking I'm fairly sure Scully is more or less ready for our 1st team and come next season I sense that he'll no longer be third choice keeper.

I rather think the decision who plays in goals is Archie's but it's worth remembering Gallacher is the goalie coach as well. It's been a long time since we've had two such good keepers let alone three.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I don't think it's about increasing his value but I do think it's a medium/long term decision rather than picking the best man on the day. I'd be surprised if Gallagher isn't involved in the decision, and I'd reckon it would be about showing faith to build confidence and hopefully see him through what's been a tricky spell. Thought Saturday was his best game in a while.

I think that personal side of management is what a lot of people don't account for, when they're criticising decisions. It's not just about managing the team, it's about managing the individual people within that team. I don't know if that applies on the X box version (or whatever it is).

Then again, I'm guessing.