Just In........ From Love Street

thebiglemon

To be fair to Kello, he has 3 defenders right in front of him. Christie hits the shot from (maybe) 15 yards away. There's no way Kello has a good view. The fact that Christie sclaffed it made the shot all the more unpredictable for the keeper.

For me, blame lies with the defence!

We lacked creativity and a spark all day. It was great to see McDaid deliver what we were missing.

I thought Archie deserved great credit for playing the youngster (giving him 15 minutes plus extra time) in a crucial game such as this in awful conditions. It could have been a big risk but as it turned out helped win the game for us.

I suppose we're more likely to take that risk with a young forward rather than defender (unless forced) though I wonder how many of us would prefer - if for instance one of our fullbacks was injured - Keenan coming in in preference to Carroll. BTW I've nothing against Carroll but it's obvious he's a midfielder who we happen to be using at left back because he's left-footed.

Two weeks now for Higgs and Welsh to recover and Archie has some good problems but hard decisions to make - made harder by Elliot's 2 goals in 2 games.

Two weeks now for Higgs and Welsh to recover and Archie has some good problems but hard decisions to make - made harder by Elliot's 2 goals in 2 games.

I think it would be incredibly harsh to ditch Elliott. I don't believe I'm actually saying this, but I think Higgy will have to be on the bench for this one, even if fit. Archie's always rewarded players for form, quite rightly.

Agree on Archie's subs. I disagreed with a few last week, and Lawless being the one to come off this week, but he's called it right. Having a guy with pace to come on late is such an asset.

Also from watching it back on Alba, I didn't appreciate at the time quite how good a game Osman had. I know it's almost expected now, but he used the ball very well second half, and broke it up nicely too.

• Like 1

I think it would be incredibly harsh to ditch Elliott. I don't believe I'm actually saying this, but I think Higgy will have to be on the bench for this one, even if fit. Archie's always rewarded players for form, quite rightly.

This. We've actually done OK without Higgy, and although he's clearly a better footballer than Elliott, it's nice to have the option of bringing one of them on as a sub to offer something different. Gives Higgy a bit more time to recover from surgery too.

Just as an aside - that's 4 points from 2 teams that we got nothing from in the first quarter. 2 home league games up next against the two teams we probably played worst against in that quarter - onwards and very much upwards in prospect ?

Since Elliott was originally a striker, it pays off if he has the freedom to get into goal-scoring positions.

Fraser made a huge difference, perhaps in part because Welsh seemed either injured or nervous about picking up a further injury. Maybe that substitution could have been made earlier.

Fox has to think more about how to help the team with his distribution. Apart from his inexplicable reluctance to send the ball to O'Donnell, punts up the middle of the park are more likely to result in an opposition counter because they're facing the right way.

For all that we're cheery after winning, a ball flying in an inch or two lower would have resulted in another draw achieved in the closing minutes - against a side that played even more woefully than ours. What happened to our commitment to entertainment?

• Like 1

Since Elliott was originally a striker, it pays off if he has the freedom to get into goal-scoring positions.

Fraser made a huge difference, perhaps in part because Welsh seemed either injured or nervous about picking up a further injury. Maybe that substitution could have been made earlier.

Fox has to think more about how to help the team with his distribution. Apart from his inexplicable reluctance to send the ball to O'Donnell, punts up the middle of the park are more likely to result in an opposition counter because they're facing the right way.

For all that we're cheery after winning, a ball flying in an inch or two lower would have resulted in another draw achieved in the closing minutes - against a side that played even more woefully than ours. What happened to our commitment to entertainment?

Don't like to put a damper on things (especially given that I've just dried out!), but yesterday's game was hard, very heard, to watch. First half tactics were like watching a team with no game plan other than to hump the ball up to a lone striker. Thereafter, and if St M kicked the ball out (as they often did) it was all about territory; we try to build from being in their half. Not the Thistle I've been watching all year and, no harm to the guy as he did try yesterday, Stevenson can't chase the types of balls that Doolan will chase week in week out. Doolan coming on made a huge difference and we started to play a bit better - passes being made before the chase ball. Far better to watch IMO and more chances created.

But moans aside, a good, well needed, three points. Also thought the defence looked reasonably solid and dealt well with what was thrown at them.

• Like 1

Very important win yesterday. Second half we were the better side after being poor during the first period.

Archie made an error playing Welsh – big risk putting a guy into a difficult game after being out for long. Not sure how much that knock he picked up early effected his game but he struggled to get into the game.

St Mirren pressed us high up the park and tried to hit us quickly on the break but they were unable to get past our two centre backs. They tired second half and the fact our defence limited their chances during the time they were on top gave us the opportunity to go on and win the game.

Frazer came on and made a difference, he and Osman took control of the centre of the park, something we failed to do first half.

Frans and Seaborne were excellent throughout the game, Dan is a bit rash at times with tackles though. Needs to rein it in a bit. Frans would have been my man of the match – very confident centre back who I believe will further improve when he gains more match fitness and his understanding with Seaborne develops further. I hope Archie is putting a contract extension in front of him. Getting him Dan at the back means we have a very good defensive partnership at this level.

Elliott deserves praise for his two vital goals over the last two games. He played well yesterday practically second half. I was 50/50 on him getting a contract for this season but he has proved his value for it.

Declan Mcdaid did well when he came on against a tiring St Mirren side. A very good substitution by Archie. He came on and hugged the touch line and his quick feet and pace caused St Mirren problems and led to the goal.

Think people are being harsh on Stevo yesterday. He was mostly chasing poor balls to him. Archie does like to play a more physical striker for certain games. We miss Taylor a lot though – a striker in the window is a must.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1

It's all about opinions, I suppose, but I thought our best passage of play was just BEFORE Doolan came on. Not that I think Stevenson is better, it's just that we were doing well when we started to move the ball about more and I'm not convinced Doolan being on the pitch was what made the difference. We did seem to be relying on the 'route one' approach in the first half - presumably Archie thought that, given the conditions and Goodwin being out, this would pay off, but we're definitely at our best when we try to play football. (Doubtless he'll be criticised for this by the same folk who complain he never changes his tactics!)

And to be clear about Stevenson - he should be punted at the first opportunity. He hasn't added anything to the team in any of the games he's featured in, whatever position he's played. And he SHOULD be able to play up front as that's where he's played for a lot of his career. Looks like someone who's on a good wage and is happy to lift it without making much of a contribution.

• Like 1

Two home fixtures that we should have taken full points from.

Against St Mirren I'd agree but Hamilton gave us a hard game - and we saw how well they did afterwards. So I'd say we should have taken 4 points (yes I know we were ahead and kind of threw the game away but it was looking like a draw when Higgs scored a terrific goal out of nothing).

What we should remember is that other teams round us have mostly had their best players available while we were still sorting out our team - for instance Seabourne was in and out of the team then Higgs got injured and Frans has only come into the team recently. We still managed despite that to pick up a decent amount of points and now we're beginning to look like developing a settled team with decent options on the bench.

With Bannigan suspended and Balatoni dropped, that now means Osman is the only player to have started every league match. He's also started every cup match, and played the full 90 (or 120) on every occasion. And he had a great match yesterday. Important player.

Lawless and Elliott are the only others to have been involved in every match, with Lawless on 11 league and 3 cup starts and 1 sub appearance vs. Aberdeen, and Elliott on 6 league starts, 1 cup start, and 6 league and 2 cup sub appearances.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

I just did one of these saddo stats searches and found out that this time last season we had 13 points. It took us to the 28th December to reach 15.

I know you can never tell what will happen in football but looking at our upcoming fixtures (ignoring Celtic games) we have Aberdeen, Inverness, Kilmarnock, Dundee and Motherwell - the last on the 27th December. You would think we could get 8 or 9 points from these games. Even if we only average 1 point a game that will take us to 20 points. Though I'd prefer to be on 23 or 24 - Hibs were on 21 points the same date.

I think we're becoming fairly solid but we need more goalscorers. If we can get a good forward in January we should be fine.