Stephen O'donnell

DUFCFAN

Does anyone think we may, one day, see one or more of our players move and we actually get a decent transfer again?

I don't begrudge players moving on but continually getting naff all does grate a bit especially if it feels as if we are almost a feeder club for the arabs right now!!

• Like 1

DUFUDFAN - If you are looking to sign SOD then you will be signing a creative, athletic and constructive player with a great deal of ability - however, he (like the rest of your defenders, if Firhill and N Douglas Park are anything to go by) is not the greatest defender in the world and shipping goals, or indeed a failure to keep clean sheets or defend leads (somethings we are good at!) is something with which you will become more and more familiar.

On the evidence of last night in particular - a centre-half, a sweeper (if that isn't too old fashioned a concept) and 2 defensively competent full backs would not be the worst investment Corner Shop Boy could make - particularly given the fact that your midfield and goal threats are excellent - with the assumption that GMS and Shifty will be staying.

Does anyone think we may, one day, see one or more of our players move and we actually get a decent transfer again?

I don't begrudge players moving on but continually getting naff all does grate a bit especially if it feels as if we are almost a feeder club for the arabs right now!!

It is quite frustrating, but to sell a player for money you'd really need to have them on a three-year deal, where they perform exceptionally in their first season. We're getting 3-4 good/great seasons out of the likes of Paton, Taylor-Sinclair, Erskine & O'Donnell, so, every cloud.

If any player signs a pre-contract they should not play out the season for us.You ever work with someone leaving for a better job? They go demob happy and footballers in particular try and avoid injury.not saying it's deliberate but just the way the brain's wired.

Wouldn't say that was the case with Erskine. Seemed to go all out to win the league with us. Paton too- couldn't accuse him of shirking either.

I'm with you on that one. I can accept players leaving but it is galling when we don't get a brass farthing for them in return.

I'll be sad if (when?) SO'D leaves but if and when he does go I hope we find an adequate replacement sharpish. We are now half way through the season and we haven't even replaced ATS yet.

Incidentally, I see he has only featured once for Wigan this season. Out of interest does anyone know why?

Stephen O'Donnell and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair were key players in the success of the side in the two previous seasons...and more importantly, in my view, in the entertaining way we played.

We might have more points than last season but that's mainly because we now have big strong defenders who are good at heading the ball clear - though not necessarily to their own players. However, I haven't enjoyed watching the team nearly as much - I'm sure the loss of ATS as an attacking option down the left wing and Higgy's loss of form are not entirely coincidental.

ATS also scored two vital goals last season. His replacement, Jake Carroll, was poorer defensively and offered nothing going forward and the alternative of Jordan McMillan is right footed...and temporarily(?) unavailable. The suggestion that we haven't missed ATS is bizarre - is there a secret competition on this forum with a prize for the most absurd post? There have been a few contenders recently.

As far as Stephen O'Donnell is concerned, I would be disappointed to see him go but Dundee United would probably be a good move for him - I think he has the potential to play at a higher level and would benefit from playing with better players. His concentration and confidence seem to waiver but McNamara knows him. He must be one of the quickest players in the SPFL and will be frustrated at making runs behind defenders and not receiving the ball. Muirhead used to hit great passes to him but now we prefer to hold on to the ball then punt it upfield. At United, he might find that there are more team mates in the box to hit with crosses.

Stephen is capable of daft moments - kamikaze passes out of defence and wasting good attacking positions. I would like to think that that mixture would make him an archetypal Partick Thistle player - similar to Chris Erskine - but I'm beginning to fear some Thistle fans actually prefer running & tackling journeymen to flawed but occasionally brilliant individuals.

Love O'Donnell. Always look more threatening when he pushes on.

Doolan's goal v. ICT this season a case in point where he rampaged down the flank to set it up

Also his goal v. 'Well where he charged up the left to score the 3rd

If any player signs a pre-contract they should not play out the season for us.You ever work with someone leaving for a better job? They go demob happy and footballers in particular try and avoid injury.not saying it's deliberate but just the way the brain's wired.

It's a hard one. We are struggling at both full back positions unless the McMillan scenario resolves itself. If Und offered say £30-50,000 (highly unlikely) I would grab it rather than let him go for nothing, but if they offered something ridiculous like £5-£10,000 I would keep him till the end of the season

There was no money offered for SOD. They offered us Mark "The Molasses Man" Wilson. Someone they wanted rid of anyway.

Paton, Erskine and ATS all made their intention clear that they were leaving at the end of their contracts and they still gave solid performances.

We have no one to replace SOD with anyway. We'd need to sign another RB, possibly instead of a LB in case SOD lacks professionalism.

Maybe we should just rename the academy now to "ThistleWeir-Utd".

It feels that we are a feeder club for Dundee Utd.

The more good young players we produce and the longer we remain in the top flight window, the more likely it is that we shift some players for cash.

We just need to keep plugging away and hope for a bit of luck along the way.

Maybe we should just rename the academy now to "ThistleWeir-Utd".

It feels that we are a feeder club for Dundee Utd.

I think every player they have come in for in the last few years has been someone McNamara knew well or even helped develop when he was with us. If someone else had been in charge of them do you think they'd all have gone to United - or even all of them would have left?

I think every player they have come in for in the last few years has been someone McNamara knew well or even helped develop when he was with us. If someone else had been in charge of them do you think they'd all have gone to United - or even all of them would have left?

Most likely. Better salary, better chance of honours, bigger club. What's not to like?

Which we have rejected.....that's a first ! Well done club!

We couldn't do anything else and we won't be selling unless we can get a couple of full backs in. Even then probably not unless we get a really big offer - which we won't as his contract has only a few months to go.

SOD probably didn't want to go anyway - Blackpool are in dire straits and he will be aware of DUFC's interest.

Which we have rejected.....that's a first ! Well done club!

It's not a first. About eighteen months ago, the club rejected a bid of around £50k from Willem II (Dutch second tier) for Lawless.

SOD is worth more than £30k to us over the next six months, especially with McMillan unavailable. If the club can identify a suitable replacement, a bid of over £50k could be tempting.

Blackpool, given the high turnover of players in the last 6 to 9 months, could be a risky option for SOD.