Lyle Taylor

Lindau

Anyone wonder why Archie broke silence to the media re wanting but not waiting forever for Taylor? Why make it public when two private phone calls would've sufficed? Archie is far from being a media darling when it comes to this sort of thing. Just about all his significant signings have been kept under wraps and if not exactly surprises when they've arrived more down to social media leaks.

I know it's no secret our intentions re Lyle Taylor but this publicity is still not Archie's style. I hope it was a positive move and not the Club trying to appease the support re our relatively quiet transfer activity.

To me there are two possible reasons. Lyle and the club have agreed a deal but he is staying with Scunny till a bit later on so that they pay him as far along the line as possible. Makes sense if we are tight on money. Still leaves us open to gazumping, like last season, if nothing is signed or he is simply weighing up his options and waiting for the best offer to come in. Would love Taylor to sign as I think he would flourish and score plenty if he was here for a full season. The addition of Amoo could provide plenty of chances for him, however if he doesn't come, we move on. Pretty sure Archie will have other striker targets.....though hopefully not Dean Shiels!!

Edited by Lindau

To me there are two possible reasons. Lyle and the club have agreed a deal but he is staying with Scunny till a bit later on so that they pay him as far along the line as possible. Makes sense if we are tight on money. Still leaves us open to gazumping, like last season, if nothing is signed or he is simply weighing up his options and waiting for the best offer to come in. Would love Taylor to sign as I think he would flourish and score plenty if he was here for a full season. The addition of Amoo could provide plenty of chances for him, however if he doesn't come, we move on. Pretty sure Archie will have other striker targets.....though hopefully not Dean Shields!!

Why not Shiels? He would be a good signing - would fit perfectly into our system.

• Like 1

Why not Shiels? He would be a good signing - would fit perfectly into our system.

Did nothing at Ibrox, has hardly been a first team regular in the last 3/4 years (most of his appearances being from the bench) would imagine he won't come cheaply, also now in his 30s. It's only my opinion. Plenty would like him at Firhill, plenty wouldn't....I am in the latter category!

Edited by Lindau

Hmmm, not too sure about all the different theories except I am kind of siding with the idea that we cannot wait tooooooo long for a LT decision especially f it were to hinder our chances to sign someone else on our radar or even worse miss the opportunity altogether so maybe all cards on the proverbial table and call!

It is easy sitting in the fans seat isnt it?

Edited by Tob Jag

Archie needs to give himself a deadline for Lyle then move on. He could do a job for us but I am sure several others could also and we can't get fixated by him simply because we know him. There will be many others in the lower leagues of England that would be worth a contract however they will be a risk. How many of us knew Andy Lyons, billy McDonald,Rod MacDonald, Wayne Foster, etc before they came to Firhill? Ps I know WF was with Hearts but how many rated him.

Archie needs to give himself a deadline for Lyle then move on. He could do a job for us but I am sure several others could also and we can't get fixated by him simply because we know him. There will be many others in the lower leagues of England that would be worth a contract however they will be a risk. How many of us knew Andy Lyons, billy McDonald,Rod MacDonald, Wayne Foster, etc before they came to Firhill? Ps I know WF was with Hearts but how many rated him.

Agree with your point, but Billy McDonald is an appalling way to prove it!

• Like 1

Right, prompted from above but turned upside down. Not a quiz question as I don't know the answer.

Here goes....Can anyone name any Jags player of the last ten years that has played at anytime in the English Premiership? If we allow players we've had on loan there's at least one very obvious player.

I'll start with one of the more obscure, in fact surreal. At left midfield Sean Kilgannon who, when playing for Middlesboro, graced St James Pk coming on in the 87min (2/5/00)

• Members

To be fair, when Billy McDonald first broke into the 1st team everyone thought he was a great find. However after the first couple of months it was all downhill thereafter. Still wish he had connected with Gazza that time at Firhill though and we'd probably have better memories of him than the Ayr game!

To be fair, when Billy McDonald first broke into the 1st team everyone thought he was a great find. However after the first couple of months it was all downhill thereafter. Still wish he had connected with Gazza that time at Firhill though and we'd probably have better memories of him than the Ayr game!

Thanks Will.....thats my nightmare for tonight sorted

I remember being the mascot for a Scottish cup game around 95/96 against stirling albion (we lost 3-2) and when they asked me who my favourite player was, my answer was billy mcdonald and the only reason i could think of was because he tried to break gazzas leg with that kick.

I guess i learned from a pretty young age that you're supposed to hate them.

• Like 1

Billy MacDonald was kind of reverse-confirmation that great players always work on their game. Macdonald was one of that breed who having broken into the first team of some club think that's it, they've made it. He was soon found to have a limited repertoire of tricks which once the opposition cottoned onto reduced his effectiveness as a player by a good margin. At no time did he ever seem to be trying to learn something new, unless getting into a huff when he was robbed of the ball is a useful tactic.

I remember being the mascot for a Scottish cup game around 95/96 against stirling albion (we lost 3-2) and when they asked me who my favourite player was, my answer was billy mcdonald and the only reason i could think of was because he tried to break gazzas leg with that kick.

I guess i learned from a pretty young age that you're supposed to hate them.

My favourite mascot memory was away to Livvy, probably late 90's, the mascot was asked at halftime who was his favourite player, answer John Robertson (hearts at the time) our end collapsed laughing, kinda sums up Livvy

Edited by jaggy