Lyle Taylor

Lindau

c

totally agree; if we lose out on taylor it would be a pity but i feel it is more important to persuade the likes of stuart bannigan, abdul osman, frederic frans etc., to sign contract extensions. i have no doubt we will lose stuart sooner rather than later but if he is on a longer contract then at least we would have the compensation of a transfer fee plus an add-on for any future deals. i do not like these one-year-deals we seem content to offer.

Fairly sure we would be offering longer-term deals if we could. However in these post-Bosman ruling times players are always angling for better deals, and are thus probably quite happy to sign for one year with a view to moving on to a better contract elsewhere after that year is up. Not a huge amount we can really do about it unless we offer them silly money to sign for extended periods.

I think we are all putting far too much emphasis on signing him. If we get him then great, but I worry that so many people on here have now got their whole attitude towards next season pegged on whether we sign one player or not. I've said this before, the guy is a good player and I hope we get him, but if I had to pick one player to be through on goal with just the keeper to beat, Taylor would be well down my list. If we don't get him then I'm sure Archie has alternatives that he's looking at. The manager has earned the right to be trusted in the transfer window so why don't we just let him get on with it rather than getting irrationally obsessed with one player.

Can't argue with that. Tho' I think Archie will be very keen to sign Taylor, like any manager he has price constraints to contend with. More so than most I reckon it's fair to presume. My only worry is. if we're passively waiting on the Taylor situation panning out and it's protracted, we miss out on getting a suitable alternative. Then again that must happen to us most close seasons. So why worry? :)

I tend to agree with Ian Mac on Taylor, I don't think we should be pinning all our hopes on signing him. Archie will bide his time on securing another striker and shouldn't break the bank to get LT.

We need to trust Archie, who I believe will have a couple of striker options.

That being said we do need at least 3/4 additional signings to be in a reasonable able position for August 1st

• Like 1

I tend to agree with Ian Mac on Taylor, I don't think we should be pinning all our hopes on signing him. Archie will bide his time on securing another striker and shouldn't break the bank to get LT.

We need to trust Archie, who I believe will have a couple of striker options.

That being said we do need at least 3/4 additional signings to be in a reasonable able position for August 1st

3 or 4 is what Archie is saying he is still hopeful of. However, I'm sure this would take us back up to similar numbers of last season, not quite matching his stated 'quality over quantity' policy.

Wilson can come in to replace Craigen. Lindsay for Balatoni. We obviously need a right back, that remains the number one priority. One who can deputise on the other side and the middle would be preferable. If Welsh makes it we have a very strong central midfield.

I don't know if it would be the end of the world if we started the season without Taylor or a similar type of striker being added. It would force Archie to introduce Duggan and we would also be able to call on Nisbet, McLaughlin and Amoo in the case of an emergency. If Duggan isn't good enough there is no point of him being part of the squad. Surely it's about time he was involved. Hopefully he'll get a good run pre season.

Scunny have signed yet another striker on a 3year deal, so it looks like there is no place for Taylor there. Archie says he won't be waiting much longer on Scunny and Lyle making there minds up. Think we will know either way over the next few days!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scunthorpe-united

Edited by Lindau

I trust Archie, but things don't always go according to plan. Two summers ago we signed John Baird as a striking option and he barely played after the opening few games. Last season we had Ryan Stevenson not really playing in position. We need Taylor or someone as good as him to complement Doolz.

Broken record time. Another striker is a waste of a wage. Archie will not change his tactics. Better spending it on the defence. Forget Taylor or any other attack minded players for that matter. Sadly it'll be Doolan chasing lost causes again this season or more likely Stevenson looking lost and wondering why the hell he left Hearts to play as a lone striker for us.

Broken record time. Another striker is a waste of a wage. Archie will not change his tactics. Better spending it on the defence. Forget Taylor or any other attack minded players for that matter. Sadly it'll be Doolan chasing lost causes again this season or more likely Stevenson looking lost and wondering why the hell he left Hearts to play as a lone striker for us.

Seems a strange post since we scored 48 times in the league last season, which I think was around the 6th highest scoring team. That was the highest return of any top flight Partick Thistle squad in decades.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

Cute.

• Like 1

Just looked at the squad list at the foot of that page. Scunny now have 8 strikers in their 1st team squad!

I don't think there is any doubt that Taylor will be leaving Scunny. I just don't think there is any chance it will be to join us.

The Legend Blows is definitely my favourite poster on here. He must be the biggest doomsday merchant of all time.

I'm sure he still thought we would be relegated last season even after we were mathematically safe. Maybe he still believes that we are going to start the coming season in the championship, or maybe even League 1?

Broken record time indeed.

I think what people have to its been amazing few seasons and jagsfans have to remember is it not going to get any better than this enjoy it while It is good, hope the fans that have not renewed there season ticket think about this.

I'd be unpleasantly shocked if there's more than two or three chucked buying a ST this time around on the grounds of dissatisfaction with last season's home performances. Every year at this time there's going to be folk giving up holding a ST for non footballing reasons. A change in personal circumstances, shift work or health related setbacks there's many reasons why loyal fans won't/can't renew. But after the season we've just had you should have every right to believe there will be more new applicants than those not renewing. The fact this may not be the case is both puzzling and worrying.

• Like 1

The Legend Blows is definitely my favourite poster on here. He must be the biggest doomsday merchant of all time.

I'm sure he still thought we would be relegated last season even after we were mathematically safe. Maybe he still believes that we are going to start the coming season in the championship, or maybe even League 1?

Aw, gee shucks, thanks for that. I like to live in a negative Thistle bubble in the hope that one season it'll be popped by a surprising ultra offensive all action Thistle team that take the league by storm. Unfortunately reality kicks in and we scramble our way to safety with 2 games to go. Roll on season 2016/17

• Like 1

Can we please shake off the negativity here !! Archie knows what he is doing, he is doing a fantastic job given the budget he has to work with, I believe that he will produce another entertaining season and that's the reason I have got my season ticket sorted out, give our Archie your support and if you can re-new your ST and perhaps the lovers of LT will have their idol back in the colours of the only team in Glasgow , lets hear it for the Jags !!!!

• Like 2

Aw, gee shucks, thanks for that. I like to live in a negative Thistle bubble in the hope that one season it'll be popped by a surprising ultra offensive all action Thistle team that take the league by storm. Unfortunately reality kicks in and we scramble our way to safety with 2 games to go. Roll on season 2016/17

4/10. Must try harder. Not one of your better efforts.

According to the interview with Archie on the BBC website from a couple of days ago Lyle is away.

He is away back to Scunthorpe to do pre season training, he is still their player. With the amount of strikers they have signed in the close season, it's a cert he won't be there come the start of the season. Archie said a few days ago that he is awaiting a reply from Scunny and Lyle. Interesting that Archie is quoted this morning as saying we have the 3/4 players that he wants in his vision, but that it might be late in the day before we get them as there are a few clubs sniffing around our targets and we might not be as attractive a proposition as some of the others. If the others don't make an offer, then we become an attractive proposition. It's really a waiting game!

Edited by Lindau

We had that three seasons ago (remember 5-1 v Dunfermline, etc.?) - we won the league by 11 points. Unfortunately, the top flight is harder (is that surprising?).

Anyone wonder why Archie broke silence to the media re wanting but not waiting forever for Taylor? Why make it public when two private phone calls would've sufficed? Archie is far from being a media darling when it comes to this sort of thing. Just about all his significant signings have been kept under wraps and if not exactly surprises when they've arrived more down to social media leaks.

I know it's no secret our intentions re Lyle Taylor but this publicity is still not Archie's style. I hope it was a positive move and not the Club trying to appease the support re our relatively quiet transfer activity.

Anyone wonder why Archie broke silence to the media re wanting but not waiting forever for Taylor? Why make it public when two private phone calls would've sufficed? Archie is far from being a media darling when it comes to this sort of thing. Just about all his significant signings have been kept under wraps and if not exactly surprises when they've arrived more down to social media leaks.

I know it's no secret our intentions re Lyle Taylor but this publicity is still not Archie's style. I hope it was a positive move and not the Club trying to appease the support re our relatively quiet transfer activity.

Breaking silence puts the ball in Taylor's court. Up until now he's been Archie's main target and very much received the love of the support.

Putting it out there, tells him, his agent, and the fans, that we're not going to sit about waiting for the darling of Matyhill to return.

It's been said before that Taylor very much loves being the centre of attention, especially in the dressing room. Putting it out in public is telling him to get over himself.

To be honest, it's dragged on that long that I'm no longer fussed if we get him or not. as long as we do get someone, though. dools is ten times the player, when he has someone going toe to toe for a starting place, with him.