Lyle Taylor

Lindau

Taylor is better at the physical aspects of the game and is faster than Doolan, but Doolan is a much better footballer. He's better at finishing, he has a better touch and he's got more of a 'football brain'.

Doolan is probably a more skillful player. That doesn't, however, make him automatically a better footballer. Not entirely sure what you're basing the footballing brain thing on so I'll just leave that for now.

Taylor's physicality, and ability to absolutely dominate defenders at this level make him a far effective player in my opinion than Doolan is. I'm not talking purely about the amount of goals they each score, but rather the whole package of what they bring to the team. Taylor holds up play better, he's better in the air, he's faster and stronger and runs the channels better. Doolan is certainly better at finishing which is no surprise since that's the main weakness in Taylors game for me, and has better close control, but in modern football it is certainly imperative that a striker is able to contribute more than just finishing off chances and for this reason I think that, for reasons outlined, Taylor is better than Doolan is.

They're both different types of strikers though, and depending on what game we're playing and how we want to line up both would be good options to have. I don't want this to come across that I don't think Doolan is a good player either, I do, I just think that Lyle Taylor is better overall.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 1

would take doolan over taylor any day of the week - really hope he gets the nod this season

LT right to hold out for the best deal for him but time for us to move on. he is held in a ridiculously high regard by some of the support.i get the feeling he doesn't gel with the squad ( already posted this after the ross county game but got shot down)

I absolutely love Doolan and hope he spends the rest of his career with us, and I agree with someone else earlier in the thread who said they'd be far more bothered if Doolan lined up against us than Doolan (although probably more for emotional reasons than any). However, it's clear in some games Taylor can be far more effective than Doolan - his physicality and, to coin a horrible phrase, 'number 9-ism', can sometimes be a lot more suitable. I would be ecstatic if he signed, and I'm sure it would spur Doolan on too just like added competition always has.

would take doolan over taylor any day of the week - really hope he gets the nod this season

LT right to hold out for the best deal for him but time for us to move on. he is held in a ridiculously high regard by some of the support.i get the feeling he doesn't gel with the squad ( already posted this after the ross county game but got shot down)

The 1-3 County game? There were absolutely no signs of team or fan spirit that day. It was as if the Thistle team hadn't met each other before!

• Like 1

The 1-3 County game? There were absolutely no signs of team or fan spirit that day. It was as if the Thistle team hadn't met each other before!

Spot on

So true.

I certainly don't go along with the idea that Taylor doesn't gel with the rest of the squad. The management have always said that players have to both fit in with our style of play and fit in with the others on and off the field. I'm not so naive to believe that the latter always happens. Some will slip the net but I doubt Archie would be trying to get hold of Taylor for a third time if Lyle didn't match the recruiting criteria.

I'm more swayed to believing the opposite and feel Archie is so keen to get Taylor as he sees him as a good fit.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Personally I'm a bit more bothered about getting a good replacement for O'Donnell at the moment - then some kind of covering player, someone who could play full back and centre back and maybe defensive midfield in a pinch. As for the rest of the team, I'd be pleased to see a couple of good new players come in but I'm not too worried if that doesn't happen quickly. Last season we signed 4 guys who were important players for us: Stevenson, Osman, Frans and Seabourne. They will be with us in the new season. Other important players are still with us: Bannigan, Fraser, Lawless and Doolan. We have a very good core of players. If we can get a decent right back and if Amoo and/or other players we bring in turn out to be anywhere near as good as the afore mentioned players we will do alright.

• Like 2

I notice throughout this Taylor has kept very quiet. I don't think this is really a problem, but some kind of indication that he would like to come and play for us rather than we being his 'last turkey in the shop ' option would be good. If Taylor feels that he can't do any better elsewhere, do we REALLY want him here anyway?

There's not much Taylor can do. He is still under contract with Scunthorpe. He can't very well come out and say to them - I don't want to play here anymore. He has to sit and wait to see what happens, in the meantime trying to impress the manager there that he is the best attacking option they have.

• Like 1

Personally I'm a bit more bothered about getting a good replacement for O'Donnell at the moment - then some kind of covering player, someone who could play full back and centre back and maybe defensive midfield in a pinch. As for the rest of the team, I'd be pleased to see a couple of good new players come in but I'm not too worried if that doesn't happen quickly. Last season we signed 4 guys who were important players for us: Stevenson, Osman, Frans and Seabourne. They will be with us in the new season. Other important players are still with us: Bannigan, Fraser, Lawless and Doolan. We have a very good core of players. If we can get a decent right back and if Amoo and/or other players we bring in turn out to be anywhere near as good as the afore mentioned players we will do alright.

Therein lies a huge (another?) problem for us next season, I doubt many people will realise what an important player O'Donnel has been to us over the last few years until he's not available.

I doubt many people will realise what an important player O'Donnell has been to us over the last few years until he's not available.

Well I certainly realise SODs importance and I honestly can't believe I'm not in the majority on that one. There will undoubtedly be Jags fans that underrated the lad but to suggest only a few recognise his worth must surely be wrong? Still I can only speak for myself.

Well I certainly realise SODs importance and I honestly can't believe I'm not in the majority on that one. There will undoubtedly be Jags fans that underrated the lad but to suggest only a few recognise his worth must surely be wrong? Still I can only speak for myself.

SOD will be almost impossible to replace imo.

His energy getting up & down the right side along with marauding runs ending.

Also feel that he was underrated defensively as this was a side of his game that you saw improve in the last couple of years especially.

Taylor I do like (& rate) & he has the experience of playing up here but I think if we've got this scouting system in place we may find it easier to discover another Taylor (remember Falkjrk did initially) than another SOD.

Just my opinion.

SOD will be almost impossible to replace imo.

His energy getting up & down the right side along with marauding runs ending.

Also feel that he was underrated defensively as this was a side of his game that you saw improve in the last couple of years especially.

Taylor I do like (& rate) & he has the experience of playing up here but I think if we've got this scouting system in place we may find it easier to discover another Taylor (remember Falkjrk did initially) than another SOD.

Just my opinion.

Agree 100% with this. We were a different team any time O'Donnell was missing and defensively he got us out of trouble more times than some people realise.

Taylor is good but replaceable.

Whereas I think SOD is the biggest lossI don't think he is replaceable. We thought ATS was irreplaceable and admittedly it took some time to find someone, but it looks like Booth does that job. I am pretty sure we can get someone for SOD's position

Admittedly Booth looked more assured towards the end of the season but if you gave me the choice it would be ATS every day in every department.

Admittedly Booth looked more assured towards the end of the season but if you gave me the choice it would be ATS every day in every department.

The ATS that played for us in season 13/14 was more accomplished than Booth at his best towards the end of last season. I suspect Booth will improve while I suspect ATS will not have improved last season. The gap hopefully will have narrowed and we can feel that position has been filled to a more than sufficient level.

We now have to repeat that with SOD. Being right sided it should theoretically be easier. Let's just hope it turns out that way. Still feel it's going to be difficult and a perhaps the form of Amoo will play a part. Presuming he's good and more orthodox a right winger then Archie in turn can look at at a more orthodox right back. Still an attacking full back but perhaps less gung ho than SOD. That would make the job of finding a replacement not quite so difficult. A Jordan McMillan type player. Big presumption about Amoo tho'.

• Like 1

I have to question the manager's decision to (again) spend much of the summer pinning hopes on a player we were never financially going to be able to afford, especially when we knew weeks in advance what league we were going to be in. I just hope there is a plan b this time after Eccleston was brought in as a panic signing.

I have to question the manager's decision to (again) spend much of the summer pinning hopes on a player we were never financially going to be able to afford, especially when we knew weeks in advance what league we were going to be in. I just hope there is a plan b this time after Eccleston was brought in as a panic signing.

There was a trialist striker playing on saturday who scored twice. I would think that is plan B.

Who said he was pinning his hopes on him?

• Like 2