Poor Performance By The Team, Worse Performance By The Fans

jaggy

sure, we were shite yesterday and had a crap result, but we have finished in our highest position in the league for more than 20 years and yet barely anyone stayed back to applaud the team, especially some of those who may have played their last home game as a Thistle player. Lawless & Doolan had their kids on, Higgy, O'Donnell and Balatoni were quite emotional. It was quite sad that so few fans waited a few minutes extra to appreciate these guys and what they've done over the past few seasons. Poor show :no:

• Like 2

sure, we were shite yesterday and had a crap result, but we have finished in our highest position in the league for more than 20 years and yet barely anyone stayed back to applaud the team, especially some of those who may have played their last home game as a Thistle player. Lawless & Doolan had their kids on, Higgy, O'Donnell and Balatoni were quite emotional. It was quite sad that so few fans waited a few minutes extra to appreciate these guys and what they've done over the past few seasons. Poor show :no:

Totally agree Jaggy. In all the years I have followed the team and my God I have seen us get some humpings, I can honestly say I have never left a game before the final whistle. It was a bad day at the office yesterday, but nevertheless it was disappointing after all their efforts this season, that hardly anyone stayed to applaud the players especially as it's probably the last time quite a few of them will grace the red and yellow.

Disappointing to hear this. We lost last season in the final home game with a fairly limp performance but there was a feel good mixing with the players.

It's a big problem if people think we are going to keep on winning- we've got to lose sometime and yesterday wasn't a bad day to lose.

As soon as expectations rise too much booing the team, calling for the managers head etc won't be far behind. If next season is exactly like this one I'd take it.

Disappointing to hear this. We lost last season in the final home game with a fairly limp performance but there was a feel good mixing with the players.

It's a big problem if people think we are going to keep on winning- we've got to lose sometime and yesterday wasn't a bad day to lose.

As soon as expectations rise too much booing the team, calling for the managers head etc won't be far behind. If next season is exactly like this one I'd take it.

Agree with the above but yesterday's performance, for me, highlighted that there are a couple of players that we simply can't do without - Ossie and Stevo. The two striker experiment (if it was such) didn't work. Killie turned up pumped up and fully charged, and basically got stuck in. They have to be one of the worst teams I've seen at Firhill in a while (St Mirren, Motherwell and Ross County included). We looked to play some nice football and at times we did. However, as I've mentioned in an earlier thread, Killie bashed and bullied their way to victory. It wasn't nice to watch.

Happy to go with the comment that the players have given us a lot this year but yesterday was p*** poor.

• Like 2

To be fair after the st mirren game most fans stayed to applaud the team when we were safe. How u expect people to stay and clap a team who were beaten by a killie team who have scored ten goals in their previous ten games, but managed to put 4 past us even though we were repeatedly told we are trying really hard to catch accies is beyond me. I was going to fir park next week to round the season off, I'm not now.

The accies game was poor enough but yesterday shows there's little or no incentive for the players so what's the incentive for the fans to pay 20 odd quid for a half ersed effort.

I agree we have improved this year but you get what u give, no effort from the players is given back by the fans.

• Like 1

I might have missed it, but I didn't see any notification that the players would stay to acknowledge the fans or vice versa.And I didn't hear it announced either before the game or at half time. That is maybe part of the reason that not many stayed behind.

• Like 2

I might have missed it, but I didn't see any notification that the players would stay to acknowledge the fans or vice versa.And I didn't hear it announced either before the game or at half time. That is maybe part of the reason that not many stayed behind.

They could have read out the whole of "War and Peace" and you wouldn't have heard it! Firhill must have the worst public address system in Scottish football. The last few weeks have been getting steadily worse with the announcer doing his Norman Collier impressions. Sort it out please, Thistle.

• Like 1

To be fair after the st mirren game most fans stayed to applaud the team when we were safe. How u expect people to stay and clap a team who were beaten by a killie team who have scored ten goals in their previous ten games, but managed to put 4 past us even though we were repeatedly told we are trying really hard to catch accies is beyond me. I was going to fir park next week to round the season off, I'm not now.

The accies game was poor enough but yesterday shows there's little or no incentive for the players so what's the incentive for the fans to pay 20 odd quid for a half ersed effort.

I agree we have improved this year but you get what u give, no effort from the players is given back by the fans.

Surely football can't be all about winning- and a decision to go to a game or not can't be based on a previous result.

Similar numbers followed Thistle through many long dark periods, myself included, and did so not because of results or performances but because it was a day out a social thing.

If it's all about winning then you're really just a frustrated glory hunter or someone taking it all too seriously.

I do go along with the £20 odd quid argument- for a meaningless end of season game prices should be slashed.

Overall the players have done really well this season and I for one am proud of them and would definitely have stayed yesterday had I been able to make it.

• Like 1

Surely football can't be all about winning- and a decision to go to a game or not can't be based on a previous result.

Similar numbers followed Thistle through many long dark periods, myself included, and did so not because of results or performances but because it was a day out a social thing.

If it's all about winning then you're really just a frustrated glory hunter or someone taking it all too seriously.

I do go along with the £20 odd quid argument- for a meaningless end of season game prices should be slashed.

Overall the players have done really well this season and I for one am proud of them and would definitely have stayed yesterday had I been able to make it.

If it was all about winning we would hardly following thistle would we?? And of course you have to put in context whether a previous result affects your decision to go to a game or not. If next week was a do or die game or we could catch accies then yes more people would go, but after getting humped in a meaningless game yesterday you'll have a hard case convincing many thistle fans to make the effort to go next week in yet another meaningless game. It's not all black and white, especially given the expense (which you acknowledge) of attending away games.

Hmm let me think, terrible parking, moronous away fans and 23 quid to get punted to the stands top tier (as the stewards see us as the trouble makers not the young team who cause hassle every home game) or head to boozer and sit in comfort watching the results come in knowing whatever happens it doesn't really matter. It's a hard choice right enough.

And I do get your point about a social event however in this instance mwell is a sh*thole with no decent pubs close by and a very unpleasant atmosphere and one of my least enjoyable away days despite being ten mins drive away.

Edited by kennymac29

Can't see Motherwell playing anything other than a reserve team to ensure no injuries or suspensions for their massive play off final. Should be a good chance of finishing the season off nicely. Would like to see young Wilson get a full run out. Hopefully we can still take a good crowd through, just to give the Bois, 90 minutes of taunting...lol. My brother in law has got us freebies for the main stand, so we will be there however can understand jags fans giving it a miss. In a game like this Motherwell should be cutting their prices to try and encourage a half decent turn out.

• Like 1

I, doubt you'l find many who'll be totally at odds with you. Yet since this was a fully competitive game and priced accordingly the support is fully entitled to expect the side to turn up. Furthermore, to expect people to stand and cheer after a rotten performance and equally horrible day is I venture to suggest taking the piss ever so slightly!

• Members

Exactly what I was thinking Riddie! I stayed behind anyway to applaud them but only Higgy and Conrad and eventually SOD came down towards the City end, Conrad because a bunch of his mates were there mainly. Wouldn't blame the players though as there could have only been a couple of hundred fans left in the Stadium following the final whistle.

Last game of the season is next week.

It was freezing cold, we were rank, the Killie players and crowd would be celebrating. It wasn't like it was a pleasant kick about in the sun with a good result.

I'll applaud the players next week thanks and not put up with shite that some people believe is compulsory simply because it's the last home game.

Last game of the season is next week.

It was freezing cold, we were rank, the Killie players and crowd would be celebrating. It wasn't like it was a pleasant kick about in the sun with a good result.

I'll applaud the players next week thanks and not put up with shite that some people believe is compulsory simply because it's the last home game.

so if Motherwell hump us on a shitey day you'll applaud them then? strange logic :lol:

After yesterday's crap I and I suspect many others won't bother filling Motherwell's coffers at 23 quid a time for a crap behind the goal view :)

After yesterday's crap I and I suspect many others won't bother filling Motherwell's coffers at 23 quid a time for a crap behind the goal view :)

Next Saturday could be rather surreal. If by chance an hour or so before KO there's a negative result elsewhere I'll be for booing any Jags player going in heavy in the tackle.

• Like 1

so if Motherwell hump us on a shitey day you'll applaud them then? strange logic :lol:

Bully for you.

As it's the last game of the season on Saturday then yes I will go. If just to sing "We'll Meet Again...."

Saturday wasn't last game of the season. Quite happy to go to Fir Park and show my appreciation for the season.

Edited by 1876Jag

Bully for you.

As it's the last game of the season on Saturday then yes I will go. If just to sing "We'll Meet Again...."

Saturday wasn't last game of the season. Quite happy to go to Fir Park and show my appreciation for the season.

Well bully for you too for giving your hard earned cash to Motherwell in a meaningless game.

I sincerely hope it's a nice day, a good performance and a Jags win, but if we play as badly as Saturday, lose heavily and the wind blows the rain in on your face I hope you stand there and applaud the team :)