Scott Fox

Jagsman

If Archie isn't going to go with Scully Or Gall then we should be looking outside of the Scottish Premiership for a Keeper. The standard of Goalkeeper in the top division is as poor as I can ever remember. Foxy is taking a huge chance thinking he will get picked up by a team up here as first choice and he is quite frankly too small to play down south.

I suspect Scully will start the season as first choice; I think that has probably been the plan all along and has perhaps been a contributing factor to Fox's departure. If we are looking to bring a guy like Letheren in as a relatively cheap second choice then I don't have a great issue with that; it would indicate that Gallacher's playing days are very much in the past though.

I dunno about having Scully just being given the jersey. I know he has done well at a lower level, but its a big step. Just screams of another Bryn Halliwell situation to me of giving a cheap option the number 1 role without being given a fight for it.

I think a bit much is made of the 'step up' to the SPL. If you're good enough you're going to adapt pretty quickly. This is probably even more true of goalkeepers who don't have so much to do in terms of getting used to the 'pace' of the game at SPFL level. Guys like Robertson at Dundee United and Stewart at Dundee have shown if you're good enough you can adapt quickly.

• Like 1

I dunno about having Scully just being given the jersey. I know he has done well at a lower level, but its a big step. Just screams of another Bryn Halliwell situation to me of giving a cheap option the number 1 role without being given a fight for it.

Does it? Scully has came through the youth ranks and been POTY for Dunfermline for the past two years. I'd far rather he got a chance over a more experienced (and, yes, more expensive) cast-off from the lower leagues in England, as would probably be the most likely alternative. And it really isn't that big a step up for a goalkeeper - Scott Bain is now in the Scotland squad and was playing for Alloa last season. If we want to be a club that has a focus on youth development then guys like Scully need to play - he can't have done any more to deserve his shot.

• Like 3

He won't just be given the jersey. If Scully starts in goal it will be because Archie thinks he's good enough.

I suspect Scully will start the season as first choice; I think that has probably been the plan all along and has perhaps been a contributing factor to Fox's departure. If we are looking to bring a guy like Letheren in as a relatively cheap second choice then I don't have a great issue with that; it would indicate that Gallacher's playing days are very much in the past though.

Letheren isn't signing here to sit on the bench behind Ryan Scully.

Haha step up! Well, if you look at a map....it's upwards I suppose.

I think this might indicate that we didn't make the greatest effort to retain his services.

I dunno about that, Archie clearly preferred him as his number 1. I think financially we were out muscled here.

I dunno about that, Archie clearly preferred him as his number 1. I think financially we were out muscled here.

He did last season, but maybe he's got a thought that Scully could push him next season.....and Fox clearly doesn't fancy having to fight for a game. He got a surprising amount of small injuries just after being dropped last season. Maybes though.

Anyway, best of luck with that Scotland career, Scott.

"Thanks for the offer of a contract boss, but I won't be signing it."

"Oh, would you mind telling me why not Scott?"

"I want to play for a team that can challenge for trophies, boss. You know, play in front of larger crowds, play for a club where I can get more exposure, boss. I really want to regain my place as Scotland's third goalkeeper, you know, when others are out injured like."

"Have you got another club in mind, Scott?"

"Yes, indeed I have actually. I want to play for County boss, Ross County."

"Ahh, yes....I see...well...ermmm, be a good chap and close the door on the way out will you?"

• Like 2

I think this is a great opportunity for Archie to sign a good goalkeeper who under Gallagher as coach might be able to develop into a proper Premiership standard keeper.

At times Foxy was pretty average and I would of picked Paul Gallagher over him most days. He is a great Championship level player, and clearly County are preparing for their inevitable relegation next season.

At least when Jonny Tuffey left us he was making the step up to the Premiership, before his career nose dived into obscurity.

Edited by ewanstu

"Thanks for the offer of a contract boss, but I won't be signing it."

"Oh, would you mind telling me why not Scott?"

"I want to play for a team that can challenge for trophies, boss. You know, play in front of larger crowds, play for a club where I can get more exposure, boss. I really want to regain my place as Scotland's third goalkeeper, you know, when others are out injured like."

"Have you got another club in mind, Scott?"

"Yes, indeed I have actually. I want to play for County boss, Ross County."

"Ahh, yes....I see...well...ermmm, be a good chap and close the door on the way out will you?"

A bit cruel. It was a two year contract Scott signed at County. Could be challenging for the Championship title season after next and there's also some unfinished business with the Challenge Cup.

If I was upset to see Fox go then this would quite rage-inducing. And it is kinda sad given the memories of the Championship winning team.

As it is though, it's just very, very funny. Totally bizarre and borderline ludicrous move which can only be about wages (fair enough, but don't let the arse hit your door on the way out, Scott).