Why So Few Fans?

Auld Jag

I was shocked to see that less than 2000 of our fans turned up to the game yesterday.I know the baggage that Celtic bring with them and some fans were unhappy about being moved from the JH stand.But this was our first home game of the season and against the league champions.I actually thought the crowd was more like 8000.I really hope that more of our fans turn up on Saturday and all of our other home games because if they don't I think we will end up down in the lower leagues again.

• Like 1

Must admit to be surprised at the sparsity of the crowd in the NS. Really thought we would pack that out with there being plenty of spaces in the Main. Total opposite of what I thought. Don't see the situation changing much in coming games with Celtic, if that performance was anything to go by!

Time and time again the game against that mob gets hyped up, and time and time again Thistle fail to show up. That, plus the game being moved to a Sunday, and home fans being turfed out of their own stand to accommodate the filthy horde, and I think we've covered most of the reasons for the lack of enthusiasm for this fixture in many supporters. What remains to be seen is what the crowds will look like over the next few weeks. I think it's fair to say that if we are sitting bottom of the league the attendances will get even lower.

I was shocked to see that less than 2000 of our fans turned up to the game yesterday.

Was initially surprised but after a wee bit reflection it seems more or less proportionate to our poor home attendances of last season.

*Match televised

*Largely unpopular KO time

*Fans that want to attend but can't for a plethora of reasons but mainly as they've other commitments on a Sunday. And it is supposedly Summer.

*Parents not wanting to expose their kids to what's traditionally a bigotfest. So fewer kids turn up and less parents into the bargain

*Matchday experience greatly reduced (General distaste of games against OF and the additional hassle that accompanies them)

I've not even mentioned the enforced move and the pricing. I've every sympathy with the Board/Club in at least attempting to do something to earn us more cash. Mistakes have been made no doubt but learning from them and rectifying them is all important.

The real sore one tho' is that these matches require much closer to sell out to make real money for the Club. Unlike other visitors the stewarding, staffing and general infrastructure has to be set for near a full house. So I can see why the gate price is raised. I just wonder tho' when say we play Hearts or Aberdeen on a Saturday 3pm if the net takings will be that much lower than yesterday.

In short I can see why the home attendance was so low yesterday. It's purely relative to low home attendances in general. However if circa 4000 Jags fans turn up for the Killie game then that'll be a different matter. Somehow i don't think that's likely.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Thought it looked more than 7088!

Is it a case that they don't count season tickets??

Seating capacity for 10102 evidently. So you're looking for about 3000 empty seats. The JHS looked almost full but the North Stand wasn't any busier than normal. Someone who was in the North Stand might be able to guesstimate how full the Main Stand was but I wasn't too surprised at the given attendance.

Seating capacity for 10102 evidently. So you're looking for about 3000 empty seats. The JHS looked almost full but the North Stand wasn't any busier than normal. Someone who was in the North Stand might be able to guesstimate how full the Main Stand was but I wasn't too surprised at the given attendance.

I'd say about 500 in the North stand. 200 down on where I'd hope us to be, for a normal game. 1500 down on where I'd want us to be for a Celtic game.

Worth pointing out that if any other team took 2000 to (effectively) an away game, they'd be quite happy.

Firstly, let's get real. Thistle have a fan base of arounf 2000 or so regulars now. Probably with another 1000 regular fans who turn up may up to 7/8 times a season. Let's have reasonable expectations.

I am a season ticket holder and i have no intention of ever going to a Celtic game at Firhill. The atmosphere is toxic and i have no desire to be made to feel uncomfortable in a place that is special to me. The game was live on TV, so i gave away my tickets and watched it in my living room. I know many other season ticket holders did the same, so i would predict this maybe took 200 off the crowd. Weirdly i prefer to go to Celtic Park because the Thistle support is noisy and the home support quiet.

The game comes at the end of the summer holidays, possibly some people still away. Others probably skint. Pay day is a good few weeks away.

To suggest negative tactics play a part is utter nonsense.... Likewise if you look at our record, it's not like this is a new thing...

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

Firstly, let's get real. Thistle have a fan base of arounf 2000 or so regulars now. Probably with another 1000 regular fans who turn up may up to 7/8 times a season. Let's have reasonable expectations. I am a season ticket holder and i have no intention of ever going to a Celtic game at Firhill. The atmosphere is toxic and i have no desire to be made to feel uncomfortable in a place that is special to me. The game was live on TV, so i gave away my tickets and watched it in my living room. I know many other season ticket holders did the same, so i would predict this maybe took 200 off the crowd. Weirdly i prefer to go to Celtic Park because the Thistle support is noisy and the home support quiet. The game comes at the end of the summer holidays, possibly some people still away. Others probably skint. Pay day is a good few weeks away. To suggest negative tactics play a part is utter nonsense.... Likewise if you look at our record, it's not like this is a new thing...

Maybe one of the resident stattos could confirm, but I wouldn't be surprised if 17 consecutive defeats against the same team is actually a new thing. Even in the 60s and 70s we got at least occasional wins.

Firstly, let's get real. Thistle have a fan base of arounf 2000 or so regulars now. Probably with another 1000 regular fans who turn up may up to 7/8 times a season. Let's have reasonable expectations.

I am a season ticket holder and i have no intention of ever going to a Celtic game at Firhill. The atmosphere is toxic and i have no desire to be made to feel uncomfortable in a place that is special to me. The game was live on TV, so i gave away my tickets and watched it in my living room. I know many other season ticket holders did the same, so i would predict this maybe took 200 off the crowd. Weirdly i prefer to go to Celtic Park because the Thistle support is noisy and the home support quiet.

The game comes at the end of the summer holidays, possibly some people still away. Others probably skint. Pay day is a good few weeks away.

To suggest negative tactics play a part is utter nonsense.... Likewise if you look at our record, it's not like this is a new thing...

Agreed completely and same reasons why I never went.

Agree with most of what has been said. I go to about 75 PC of home games, very few away games and Scottish cup ties. I've done this for over 40 years. I still like the freedom to pick and choose my games depending on form, weather and opposition. Like many I rarely go to see us v the OF for the reasons stated during the thread. The only way we will ever grow our support is to break the OF monopoly, but that looks unlikely, despite rangers woes. I'm not sure how much the club can do and I can see they are trying with pricing. I still like to see a discount for those in the north sound. Encourage more to go there, build the atmosphere which may trigger more people coming? Not an easy one to resolve..

Watched it on the telly from Spain.

Got two season tickets, but even when I was in Glasgow I wouldn't go to the Celtic games. Just not for me. Hate the atmosphere immensely. Only one other 'club' makes my blood boil as much.

One thing about yesterday that I was happy about, albeit forced, was the two young guys at centre defence. If Thistle, and other teams, played more youth players (even the U20 team!) in the games against Celtic, I'd be delighted. Good experience for them & keeps our experienced guys fresh for the more important, winnable games.

Would also show up the games against Celtic as the farce that they are...

Can't see why we can't have a two tier patg structure. If you liken the North Stand to the terracing of old and the JHS to the enclosure at many grounds you expected to pay less to get in the former. The only argument I can see against that would be if we were then obliged to charge away fans in the Main Stand the lower price. I don't know the SPFL regulations re pricing in that regard.

Maybe one of the resident stattos could confirm, but I wouldn't be surprised if 17 consecutive defeats against the same team is actually a new thing. Even in the 60s and 70s we got at least occasional wins.

Don't forget that back then we were with a couple of 1-season blips a long-term top division club. This latest stat of 17 defeats misses the fact we have spent long spells in lower divisions and have never built ourselves into an established top division club. Still a bad stat but I reckon we won't do better until the club really feels it belongs up in the top flight. And that won't happen for a bit yet (and may never if we go down).

I reckon if our crowds don't improve we will go down - this year or next. It's not just money - we may sell a player which'll keep us financially secure for a couple of years but if crowds stay low or get worse then we'll lose that sense of impetus that clubs need to survive at the top.

Don't forget that back then we were with a couple of 1-season blips a long-term top division club. This latest stat of 17 defeats misses the fact we have spent long spells in lower divisions and have never built ourselves into an established top division club. Still a bad stat but I reckon we won't do better until the club really feels it belongs up in the top flight. And that won't happen for a bit yet (and may never if we go down).

I reckon if our crowds don't improve we will go down - this year or next. It's not just money - we may sell a player which'll keep us financially secure for a couple of years but if crowds stay low or get worse then we'll lose that sense of impetus that clubs need to survive at the top.

Conversely, we do have one of the best away supports in the league.

Maybe says something about the 'Firhill experience'?

Agree with most of what has been said. I go to about 75 PC of home games, very few away games and Scottish cup ties. I've done this for over 40 years. I still like the freedom to pick and choose my games depending on form, weather and opposition. Like many I rarely go to see us v the OF for the reasons stated during the thread. The only way we will ever grow our support is to break the OF monopoly, but that looks unlikely, despite rangers woes. I'm not sure how much the club can do and I can see they are trying with pricing. I still like to see a discount for those in the north sound. Encourage more to go there, build the atmosphere which may trigger more people coming? Not an easy one to resolve..

On top of what you say, breaking the OF monopoly is next to impossible considering it is completely supported by the MSM - to the extent of even giving one of them free advertising for their season tickets. This support goes far beyond merely reporting on them more than other clubs because they have a big fan base.