Jack Hendry

Everton may have money to spend but that doesn't mean they won't be shrewd with their cash. They will pay what they think he is worth and not a penny more than they have to. £1m for an unproven youngster from a bottom 6 SPFL a team with less than a year left on his contract?

Absolutely no chance.

Everton may have money to spend but that doesn't mean they won't be shrewd with their cash. They will pay what they think he is worth as little as they can get away with and not a penny more than they have to. £1m for an unproven youngster from a bottom 6 SPFL a team with less than a year left on his contract?

Absolutely no chance.

fixed that for you

If we sell Hendry for around 100K, then I think we should seriously re-think whether the entire youth set-up is worth the money that it costs to run it; we're doing nothing other than nurturing young players for other clubs, at our expense. And the fans hardly even get any time to see our best products positively influence our own first team.

Edited by Jaggernaut

If we sell Hendry for around 100K, then I think we should seriously re-think whether the entire youth set-up is worth the money that it costs to run it; we're doing nothing other than nurturing young players for other clubs, at our expense. And the fans hardly even get any time to see our best products positively influence our own first team.

You don't think £100k for an untested youngster on a one year contract who we've only developed for one season (after his release from Dundee United) is decent business? Really?

You don't think £100k for an untested youngster on a one year contract who we've only developed for one season (after his release from Dundee United) is decent business? Really?

What is "untested?" He's played for our first team more than once and has done more than a good job each time. If you mean he's untested in the English Premiership, then that also applies to any other young players that get transferred from Scottish teams - usually for considerably more than 100K.

Jaggernaut - the youth system is not funded by the club it is funded by the Weirs. And we can't just scrap it and decide to use the Weirs money for something else.

Scrapping the youth system would not make one single penny more available to Archie.

All these facts were well publicised at the time so I am surprised you are so misinformed.

Ian_mac,

Thanks, but I'm not misinformed. Well, I would say maybe that I'm not fully informed; isn't the Weirs' funding in place for four years, one or two of which are already up? Then what?

I'm fully behind Weir Thistle in principle, but at some point there will need to be evidence of real benefit for the club, I'd think, unless it's really mainly a community project. We need excellent young players to make it as regulars in the first team, not just fringe players who eventually get binned, or sold on for what these days is chicken feed, even if useful chicken feed.

What is "untested?" He's played for our first team more than once and has done more than a good job each time.

Shall we start discussing players who have had promising starts to their Thistle career and ended up doing nothing? I'll start you off with Ryan McStay - still one of the biggest disappointments in my time supporting Thistle given how well he started with us. When Jack Hendry puts in consistently strong performances for at least three months then I'll consider him "tested".

Lets also remember that we've developed him for just one season - he's not a product of Thistle Weir, he's a guy we picked up who had been released by other clubs who is turning out to be quite promising (see also Steven Lawless, Sean Welsh, Stephen O'Donnell and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair)

I think the EPL is an abomination and will eventually kill off football in this country. English clubs are buying up players, who have only played a handful of games in a scatter gun approach in the hope that signing so many players eventually they will come up trumps. Having already been discarded by one team Jack Hendry should really be looking to extend his time at Firhill where he will get a game and the experience he needs rather than end up in the EPL slagheap.

• Like 1

Think that's pretty unrealistic TSJ.

Put yourselves in his shoes. He has the opportunity to sign for an EPL team and earn massive money NOW.

Playing any longer for a poor team like us could harm his chances. He could get injured tomorrow and be out for months.