Jack Hendry

i like, nay, love Balatoni for his time with Thistle - however we have three adequate first team central defenders in Frans, Lindsay and Seaborne and - barring any significant long term injuries - don't need a fourth. If we sign an U20's central defender (Rudovic maybe...) then that would provide appropriate additional cover given our budget.

I'm surprised Balatoni didn't get anything sorted out, especially given he was willing to move globally...

i like, nay, love Balatoni for his time with Thistle - however we have three adequate first team central defenders in Frans, Lindsay and Seaborne and - barring any significant long term injuries - don't need a fourth. If we sign an U20's central defender (Rudovic maybe...) then that would provide appropriate additional cover given our budget.

I'm surprised Balatoni didn't get anything sorted out, especially given he was willing to move globally...

I wonder if this is still his plan and he's waiting on an opening/move.

Lindsay and Seabourne when fit would be my choice at centre back. Assuming Dumbaya will be right back and Booth at left means Miller and Frans will be back up. If it works out you'd have to say that's just as strong a defence as we've had.

Conrad would be behind all these guys so there is no way back for him I'm afraid. He's a nice guy and did well for us in spells but doesnt strike me as the sharpest crayon in the box and it's a shame he didn't have something sorted before he jumped ship. I think he maybe counted on going to Barnsley and Bradford who both were interested but backed away as that would take him back to Yorkshire where he grew up I think.

I'm assuming also the Hendry up front fee must be less than 200k otherwise we would be able to say our record fee received for one player which is still 200k I believe.

Therefore Id guess it's maybe 125-150k up front add ons up to 250-280 depending on appearances etc

Things have changed. We've signed players and used up the budget.

So the offer that would be on the table, won't be the same. The same would apply to SOD. We've signed to players-Miller and Amoo-because he has gone. Things don't stand still.

It is also a two way street. We are trying to better ourselves. Maybe the manager thinks he can add better quality players-Muirhead, Cerny and Booth for example with the money available?

It's not personal with Conrad. I like him. He did a great job. Was brilliant with my wee boy every time in player zone. However, having four centre backs who are essentially first teamers would be a waste of a very limited budget.

I think we maybe just got another slice of budget with the sale of Jack Henry,though

Here we go...

Every walk of life, eh? If most of us went back to their employer to request a contract that they'd knocked back two months ago then they'd be told to get tae.

A lot of sugar coating the issue simply because of who's involved. Thankfully, to his credit, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that Balatoni's considering an embarrassing reversal.

I think that most business' are pragmatic. If the employer wasn't able to replace that person, I think you would find that they would be happy to take him back on the same terms.

Lindsay and Seabourne when fit would be my choice at centre back. Assuming Dumbaya will be right back and Booth at left means Miller and Frans will be back up. If it works out you'd have to say that's just as strong a defence as we've had.

Conrad would be behind all these guys so there is no way back for him I'm afraid. He's a nice guy and did well for us in spells but doesnt strike me as the sharpest crayon in the box and it's a shame he didn't have something sorted before he jumped ship. I think he maybe counted on going to Barnsley and Bradford who both were interested but backed away as that would take him back to Yorkshire where he grew up I think.

Lindsay and Seaborne are both left sided. I think Frans and Lindsay will be 1st choice.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a bid from Everton for Hendry but as Wigan submitted a higher bid it was theirs that was accepted

you've got to laugh at a club that prides itself on wanting the correct value for their number 1 asset in john stones, knocking back bids of tens of millions of pounds, and yet for bidding on our player they are outbit by a club 2 divisions lower.

• 6 months later...

I feel that perhaps Jacks agent didn't have his best interests at heart rather that his own. Jack was just breaking into the team, seems to me it would have been much better for him to get more first team experience with us instead of warming a bench in the back end off beyoud. The agent got his cash alright just a pity that in his quest to cash in, better career advice was not forthcoming. No wonder Lambie hated them

At the end of the day when you are under contract, it's the players decision whether you leave or not, if the club has accepted a bid. He will be getting well rewarded financially, but can't help thinking that he must be looking a bit enviously at the progress and game time Liam is getting this season.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Still very early days for the lad and Wigan would have signed him with the view to him breaking through in 2/3 years time, not making an immediate impact. Surely if they had decided he wasn't good enough they wouldn't even bother sending him on loan? Seems to me like this is all just part of the lad's development. We did the exact same with Bannigan when we sent him to Ayr, and that hasn't worked out too badly for him or the club.