Fearchar

Why is the team so poor at retaining possession from (our own) throw-ins? It seems that few of the players move about to look for the ball, and very few are the usual targets - particularly Lawless, who can be muscled off the ball, and Elliott (when fit and playing, obviously), who sends the ball on with a glancing header. In the past, Simon Donnelly used to be the target for throw-ins, but since his departure I think throw-ins have very often provided opportunities for the opposition to win possession, rather than for us to retain it. :o

It's not just a Thistle problem. Throw ins are becoming very difficult for a side to maintain possession, with the ball coming from over head hight, the receiver needs to get the ball under control, usually with a defender hard on him and giving a push or pull that referees seem very lenient to punish these days. Watch any Engish Premier League match and throw-in possesion is very rarely held cleanly.

I've had a beef with our throw ins for a long time now. Why do we always seem to throw the ball to a teammate at bollock height?

Same category as corners and free kicks that don't go past the first defender. Infuriating. Do these things really need to be covered in training by grown men?

Yes, I guess they do...

Why do players (especially full/wing backs who generally take most of he shies) not spend more time perfecting their long throw technique? It seems to me to be something which with time and practice any player could emerge with reasonable proficiency. It could be the difference between being in or out of the team. Rory Delap was a decent player but may not have been a regular Premiership starter without his long throw prowess.

The honourable history includes Steven Craigan's long throw which led to Toastie Burns scoring the vital late equaliser keeping us well clear of Airdrie in the run up to our last but one promotion to the Premier League. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that our only long throw this season was nodded on by Pogba to Sean Welsh who forced an excellent save from the Aberdeen goalie. A neglected weapon when we need to call into play every ounce of firepower we can muster?

Edited by partickthedog

Wait til we play St Johnstone if Shaughnessy is playing, like Stoke under Pulis especially with Sutton up front.

They weren't exactly easy on the eye before but even less so now.

From a thistle point of view, SOD developed his throw ins to the point they were reasonable by the tail end of last season, including his 1-2 with Scott Boyd to score at Dingwall.

Just knowing that a player taking a throw in is capable of length is a threat in itself. Since Craigan I can think of only SOD (latterly), Maxie and McGowan that could throw at distance. McGowan made his debut at Central Park, probably the narrowest playing surface. If he'd thrown in as far as he's capable of the ball would've carried the entire width of the pitch.

It's not just a Thistle problem. Throw ins are becoming very difficult for a side to maintain possession, with the ball coming from over head hight, the receiver needs to get the ball under control, usually with a defender hard on him and giving a push or pull that referees seem very lenient to punish these days. Watch any Engish Premier League match and throw-in possesion is very rarely held cleanly.

But does the ball have to come in at over head height? It should surely be possible for the thrower to deliver the ball in the way best suited to the recipient, and for the recipient to ensure he's in a position to shield the ball or send it on purposefully. My impression is that our opposition are all better at retaining possession from throw-ins, and that it's as much to do with who receives the ball from the throw-in as with the player throwing in. That's not necessarily anything to do with the length of throw-ins, although increased range adds to the possibilities.

The following season, Craigan's long throw at Tannadice led to a headed equaliser by Ricky Waddell.

Blast from the past there. I had no idea that he had scored once, only to find that he scored 2 in 23 games and is now a coach at Ibrox (I had no idea they were that desperate). Quite a well traveled career with time in Singapore and USA