Dundee United

Willjag

At the game, I thought that Lawless had flicked the cross in and was a bit surprised to see Dumbuya running off in celebration. When I saw the Alba highlights, I also initially thought Lawless may have been offside but the United defender was lying close to the byline after being turned by Dumbuya and was playing everyone onside.

TT's photo tells the story perfectly (I know we can't all see it). Like you, I was baffled, sitting in the JH.

I just watched the highlights on TAG. Plenty of chances created in the box; good to see. I have a positive feeling that we'll start to score more regularly in the weeks ahead. Seaborne looked good; a question of him regaining full fitness? Calum Booth has clearly made the left-back position his own. A very good signing, imo.

I like Booth but his defensive side of the game is not great. Does not stop the cross enough for me. Easy beat at first goal at Motherwell and at fault up at County for the goal.

Along with Lawless I would say the hardest worker in our side and has a decent final ball though.

I still feel we miss Taylor-Sinclair.

• Like 1

If Booth was better defensively, he wouldn't be playing for us, it really is that simple.

Just as simple is the formation we play (and played for years) isn't over dependent on defensive full backs. We by and large depend on centre backs covering the flanks with the extra holding midfielder dropping back. I think the only time the defensive qualities of our full backs will come under real scrutiny will be if/when we switch to two up front and play narrow. We'd most likely be going all hell for leather chasing the game in those cases.

• 3 weeks later...

I see there is a bit of a stooshie over Paatelainen criticising the United players after the 5-0 defeat by Celtic.

He called them "absolute rubbish" and said "what's the point if f***ing training".

I thought Thistle fans were bad for shouting at Bannigan or Lawless for a misplaced pass. This takes it to a new level.

I see there is a bit of a stooshie over Paatelainen criticising the United players after the 5-0 defeat by Celtic.

He called them "absolute rubbish" and said "what's the point if f***ing training".

Be interesting to see how that goes. The players can either take on board the criticism and knuckle down or they can say, stuff you. It's generally the latter!

Be interesting to see how that goes. The players can either take on board the criticism and knuckle down or they can say, stuff you. It's generally the latter!

There's a recent precedent of the latter when Butcher went to Hibs all guns blazing and the players simply downed tools. Be very pleasing if United players did similar and told the Pub Landlord to stuff it.

Mixu has taken a massive gamble here. I would say the odds are against it paying off, in this day and age. I suppose the most recent example is the aforementioned Butcher at Hibs.

Real test of character for the United players now. It certainly seems to have gone down well with the majority of United fans from what I've seen, but the modern day footballer is a completely different matter.

Edited by ian_mac