Hallowe'en Horror Show - Partick Thistle Vs Heart Of Midlothian

jagfox

The game isn't even over yet, but Archie's tactical prowess leaves much to desired.

Welsh shouldn't have lasted until half time, and I've never seen a team so tediously slow in the build up. Hearts are a goodish team, but it's no excuse for our performance.

Hearts had a pretty hard game during the week though it's obviously not affected their performance today

We are beyond shite sometimes and today was one of those occasions.

We had some fairly positive play in the first half with some joy down the wings but every cross was cleared easily. Won a few corners and only had a half chance from 1. Despite it clearly not working we tried it again and again and again.

2nd half we were worse. It really annoys me that we never try anything different. We keep the same formation, same shape and same tactics throughout every game regardless of how it's going. I fully appreciate we don't have the money to get better players but not tryi bf something different is inexcusable from the manager.

Too many players also chucked it too easily today. We dither on the ball instead of playing quickly and with urgency. Too iften we chose the easy ball back instead of trying to play forward with pace. We should be running at people and playing quick passes when the opportunity presents but we never do.

And Scully, I know he's not got much experience at this level but he should've done better at the first goal by palming the ball behind for a corner (that said, rest of defence should've been sharper to the rebound and infront of their goapscorer), and the red card was stupidity. We're 3-0 down, no chance of getting anything from the game and he brings their guy down. 100% red and now we're short on keepers. 0-0 or a goal up and i'd have no argument, but 3-0 down I think it's obvious you let the guy go if he's beat you.

I'm not in the Archie out brigade but neither would I defend him at the present time. We've had 2 good wins recently but last week and this week show we have some major issues and it doesn't look to me like we're being very imaginative in trying to address those issues.

• Like 4

An object lesson on the maleficent influence of English football. The Hearts players are bigger, more muscular, more convincing when acting, fitter and faster – and they play a turgid long-ball game that is pure anti-football. If I want to watch a grim slug-out between defenders and forwards, I can switch on the TV late on a Saturday night and see even bigger, more muscular, faster players in lower leagues in England. It's still dire, even if it's more exciting, and certainly not worth a couple of hours on a Saturday, nor the price of a season ticket.

As for playing, it's time we ditched the idea that we can play a lumbering old-fashioned centre-forward and hope to get anything out of the game. Lots of crosses – no goals. It isn't working, and it's not the style of play that our players are used to or train for. That said, few of those players seem confident enough to take the ball past the opposition in midfield – Dumbuya and Booth being notable exceptions. We desperately lack heart in midfield and Pogba is much too slow to chase down any balls over the top of defences.

Edited by Fearchar

How on earth is Sean Welsh a first pick every week? Every one can see hes mince outwith the management. Pogba was absolutely hopeless as well, seen milk turn quicker. No confidence in Scully either, slow off his line and flapping at everything.

I'd consider putting Miller or another defender into the middle of the park for the next game, because with Bannigan in a defensive position and Welsh on the park together in the centre we are being overrun. I'd even consider starting Muirhead up front, cause the other two options haven't cut it.

Not much to say about that. Thought it was pretty even in the first half but we were diabolical in the second. Scully despite a couple of OK saves, showed why I have serious doubts about him. Flapped at crosses and just why he brought the player down for the penalty when we are three down is beyond me. Afraid he is not top league material....we'll certainly not at the moment. Lindsay had a shocker, Welsh was dreadful and Pogba is as slow a forward as I have seen. We need pace in the side urgently. The other results today, certainly makes it a bleak Halloween!!

Some points.

We go hell for leather in the other team's face playing a high tempo pressing game for 35 minutes and then collapse almost every home game. This is because we don't have the players with the fitness levels necessary to maintain this for one half of a game let alone 90 min.

It looks good at the start but is inevitably leading to defeats.

Our insistence in hitting in loads of pointless crosses from out on the byline to a static center forward standing between two central defenders Is a meaningless tactic. Hearts showed today you get more results by running into the box and committing defenders .

We have played nearly the whole season with a massive gap between the central midfield an the lone striker making us an easy team to defend against.

Our shape and tactics are failing us miserably.

Its change or die as a top division team for Archie. Every team knows what we do and we dont do it very well or for long enough in a a game The manager is going to have to be for more pragmatic about our style and shape if we are to survive. We will not stay up doing what we are doing.

Finally ., although I go to as many games as I can I contrived to miss Both the victories against DU and St j , and haven't seen us win since ST Mirren in May. Ive been generally supportive of the manager given the budget he has but im getting mighty pissed off with seeing a team repeat and repeat a failing system that we don't have the players to make work.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 2