I know that all Thistle fans will share in the feelings of horror and disgust at the appalling loss of life in the Paris terrorist attacks. I expect that we will be asked to observe a minute's silence at the Inverness game, which is only right and proper. But I do wonder if we need to express an element of defiance as well as compassion to our acknowledgment of the dreadful thing that happened yesterday. It may seem like a daft idea, and I'll drop the thing completely if folk indicate that it is, but would it be fitting if we had a rendition of the French national anthem prior to the start of Saturday's game? I'm not normally keen on national anthems at sporting events, but I think it might be appropriate for us to show solidarity with the people of France, as well as expressing our sorrow at their loss. The Marseillaise is one of the most stirring anthems in the world and I'm sure we could find someone to sing it for us. Hell, I'd have a go myself at joining in if someone produced a song sheet. As I say, if might be a daft idea. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

One of my most memorable nights ever was in a French café in 1998 watching the Romania vs England game. I led half the gathering with “Flower of Scotland” from a table top, which was followed by a guy called Bruno doing the same with “La Marseillaise”. Cue big smiles, clinking of glasses and man hugs all over the place.

I’ll stand with my French brothers any time.

I think the playing of “La Marseillaise” followed by a minutes silence for Brown McMaster would be appropriate this Saturday.

Ah, right. Forgot about the minute's silence. Why not come on to the park to the anthem?

seems the most sensible proposal. national anthem for walk-on, then minutes silence (or applause) for brown.

A french flag flying maybe?

One and only time a blue, red & white flag welcome at Firhill!

they could put it up at same time the replacement champions flag is put up this week :whistling:

Playing devil's advocate for a moment:

On the 10th October nearly 100 died and 246 were injured in the Turkish peace march bomb. On a regular basis 30, 40 and 50 people are blown up around the middle east barely getting a mention in the Uk.

Is it even racist to pay so much respect to French victims but not to Turkish ones?

Not down playing the seriousness or the horror but just wondering if there is a knee jerk emotional reaction when the victims are more like ourselves. That same reaction in political circles could lead to poor decisions in the wake of this abomination

• Like 3

One of my most memorable nights ever was in a French café in 1998 watching the Romania vs England game. I led half the gathering with “Flower of Scotland” from a table top, which was followed by a guy called Bruno doing the same with “La Marseillaise”. Cue big smiles, clinking of glasses and man hugs all over the place. I’ll stand with my French brothers any time. I think the playing of “La Marseillaise” followed by a minutes silence for Brown McMaster would be appropriate this Saturday.
Strangely, I watched that game with Brown McMaster. Think he was trying to display a level of maturity that would be expected of his position as Jags chairman when he said to the group that it would be the done thing to support England; he got the collective response you would expect. When Rumania hit their late winner he went ape-shit. The bugger jumped on my back; tbh its never been the same since. RIP Brown. I would hope that Thistle are able to find a way to show solidarity with the victims of these appalling acts in Paris. I'm also sure that the England supporters will do the sport proud when they meet France this week.
  • Like 1

On the 10th October nearly 100 died and 246 were injured in the Turkish peace march bomb. On a regular basis 30, 40 and 50 people are blown up around the middle east barely getting a mention in the Uk.

Is it even racist to pay so much respect to French victims but not to Turkish ones?

Not down playing the seriousness or the horror but just wondering if there is a knee jerk emotional reaction when the victims are more like ourselves. That same reaction in political circles could lead to poor decisions in the wake of this abomination

'I offer my sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathy to the Turkish people at this time.

'I, along with people across the world, have been shocked and saddened by Saturday's attack in Ankara and my thoughts are with all those affected by these terrible events.'

A quote from the letter sent by Her Majesty the Queen to the Turkish president Erdogan in response to Ankara bombings.

I understand that you are perhaps making the comparison between levels media reporting and public response to the two horrific events. There is a notable difference, and notable also that Paris was one city who's citizens displayed their strong outrage to the incident in Ankara.

The "peace" rally was, in part at least, organised by the pro-Kurdish groups, labour unions, and politically involved NGO's and was intending to deliver a political message.

The attacks on Paris targeted people going about very different everyday business, attending a sporting event, concert or simply having an evening meal.

Paris is closer to "home" in more than just geography and regardless of ethnicity.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

This is a very good point.

Personally, I'm a bit of a francophile and was in Paris with my kids earlier in the year. They, with my ex-wife, were in the Cambodian restaurant that was attacked, a couple of years ago. We were at the vigil in Glasgow last night.

Nationally, I thought that the reaction could be explained because it is indeed close to home, an attack on a neighbour. A place that a lot of people will be familiar with.

Internationally, the reaction supports your views and diminishes mine. I saw a picture of the Sydney Opera House illuminated in blue, white and red and thought exactly the same thought as you; of one line news articles about a bomb in a Baghdad market that killed hundreds, of other dimly remembered news stories. I hate stories that highlight one Briton killed in a massacre. Are the media to blame for filtering these stories? or are these the stories that we want to see? We need to start treating all people with equal respect. That is the measure of a civilised society.

• Like 2

Unfortunately bombs in Turkey have become a daily occurrence, the week I was working in Izmir there was 3 I was shocked people are use to it as it seems the country heads closer to a civil conflict with the PKK, social media is also heavily censored (I had my Twitter blocked whilst there).

The situation in Turkey is seen as internal as is the ones in Beruit and Baghdad, whilst the one in France is seen (rightly or wrongly) as being done by outsiders.

Murder is wrong regardless where or to who, it's just the France situation is closer to home

Strangely, I watched that game with Brown McMaster. Think he was trying to display a level of maturity that would be expected of his position as Jags chairman when he said to the group that it would be the done thing to support England; he got the collective response you would expect. When Rumania hit their late winner he went ape-shit. The bugger jumped on my back; tbh its never been the same since. RIP Brown. I would hope that Thistle are able to find a way to show solidarity with the victims of these appalling acts in Paris. I'm also sure that the England supporters will do the sport proud when they meet France this week.

The big eejit! :D

In no way, shape or form should our disproportionate grief be misinterpreted as racist - that notion is absurd. I’m quite sure there are helicopter crashes every month of the year all over the world. We remember The Clutha because it shocked us to the core as it was just down the street and therefore we felt the impact as if it could have been one of our own who was a casualty.

Of course the impact is going to be greater the closer to home it is. I’m sure there are many of us who are slightly familiar with Paris, certainly much more so than cities in the Middle East. The atrocities are, of course, equally vile – but we are not robots. We are simply not programmed to be perfectly proportionate in how we react.

Added to that is the fact that the targets this time were ordinary working class innocents indulging in favourite British pastimes of drinking, going to gigs and watching the fitba’. I’m pretty sure that such a specific multi-pronged leisure attack was a first for these deranged beasts and their religious sham.

Absolutely nothing wrong with feeling a stronger emotional response in this instance, in my opinion. I know it's not perfect - but we’re only human.

• Like 2

I'm hoping to be there on Saturday and would like to see hear the Marseillaise played over the tannoy; followed by a pause and a specific reference to Brown, then a minute's silence. Just my own personal preference. I will of course participate enthusiastically (if that's an appropriate word in the circumstances) in however the club choose to carry out the respective tributes.

I would hope that the football authorities, after consultation with the French Consulate, will give guidance to clubs about what might be appropriate.

There have already been events in Scotland to show support for France. France is observing three days of mourning. I just wonder whether eight days after the tragedy in Paris, and many days after the country has officially ended mourning, it is necessary to mark the occasion at Firhill.

Jags fans have one of their own to commemorate and we should show the greatest possible respect for Brown McMaster on Saturday.

• Like 4

The big eejit! :D

In no way, shape or form should our disproportionate grief be misinterpreted as racist - that notion is absurd. I’m quite sure there are helicopter crashes every month of the year all over the world. We remember The Clutha because it shocked us to the core as it was just down the street and therefore we felt the impact as if it could have been one of our own who was a casualty.

Of course the impact is going to be greater the closer to home it is. I’m sure there are many of us who are slightly familiar with Paris, certainly much more so than cities in the Middle East. The atrocities are, of course, equally vile – but we are not robots. We are simply not programmed to be perfectly proportionate in how we react.

Added to that is the fact that the targets this time were ordinary working class innocents indulging in favourite British pastimes of drinking, going to gigs and watching the fitba’. I’m pretty sure that such a specific multi-pronged leisure attack was a first for these deranged beasts and their religious sham.

Absolutely nothing wrong with feeling a stronger emotional response in this instance, in my opinion. I know it's not perfect - but we’re only human.

fair comment

• Like 1