Archie

Garscube Road End

Now that we are, seemingly, on a fitmer financial footing, offering longer term contracts and laying down roots for continuity, are we now seeing the bigger picture from Archie's thinking.

I have been a severe critic of him previously, but he's won me over with his ethos of what he's trying to achieve long term at Thistle.

It is clear with comments from players, like Cerny, that he has fostered a wonderful atmosphere the club.

Since he has taken the hot seat we have improved season on season and the foundations he is laying seem to be strong and preparing us for a long stretch in the top flight.

He is always going to be hampered by losing our better players, because of simply what size of club we are, but he keeps unearthing good replacements, Cerny, Dumbaya, Osman,Booth just for starters and with our youth policy apparently growing by the day there are good futurez at the club for certain kids.

I believe tgat this season is pivotal for our long term ambitions. Survive, and I think we will, I am of the opinion that we will kick on to be a regular top six club.

The worry is that if we keep on this path the while he is under the radar at the moment at some point a bigger club will want him. But it's a price worth paying.

Is Archie our Arsene Wenger?

• Like 3

Well said GRE and kudos to you for admitting you got it wrong, unlike a few others on here. The guy has done a fantastic job, along with Scott Paterson, the board have done great as well (doesnt bother me admitting I got it wrong about them) and the Weirs have been the icing on the cake. The club is really moving forward and let's hope the fans can now show their appreciation and try and get out in bigger numbers

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

I think our management team are on year rolling contracts and to be honest when it comes to managers contracts, they are only useful in order to get compensation. The movement of managers is not restricted to the transfer windows, therefore there is always the chance Archie could move at any time in the season.

I have no doubt what he is doing at Firhill will be on the radar of many Chairmen across the football leagues, and we just need to hope that should a team come in for him that the board fight hard to keep him and offer an improved deal.

Archie and Shaggy are worth their weight in gold and are the foundation of great things to come at Firhill.

• Like 2

Remember reading an article about a year ago where Scott Paterson stated that he loved being at the club and working with Archie, but that ultimately he wanted a managers job. Not beyond the realms of possibility that if Archie does move on, his replacement could already be in the dug out!

Remember reading an article about a year ago where Scott Paterson stated that he loved being at the club and working with Archie, but that ultimately he wanted a managers job. Not beyond the realms of possibility that if Archie does move on, his replacement could already be in the dug out!

I would wager that Archie would want to take Shaggy with him.

Well said GRE and kudos to you for admitting you got it wrong, unlike a few others on here. The guy has done a fantastic job, along with Scott Paterson, the board have done great as well (doesnt bother me admitting I got it wrong about them) and the Weirs have been the icing on the cake. The club is really moving forward and let's hope the fans can now show their appreciation and try and get out in bigger numbers

Totally agree.

• Like 1

Archie is doing an excellent job, but make no mistake he is benefitting from an all round more stable club that unfortunately most of his predecessors didn't enjoy.

Don't want to lose him but if he chose to go I would be relaxed that the board would find a suitable replacement that would keep us competitive.

Archie is doing an excellent job, but make no mistake he is benefitting from an all round more stable club that unfortunately most of his predecessors didn't enjoy.

Don't want to lose him but if he chose to go I would be relaxed that the board would find a suitable replacement that would keep us competitive.

i wish I had your confidence.

i wish I had your confidence.

Fair point. Even a decent board with all the good will in the world can't guarantee a good manager. It's one of the most difficult things to do (unless you're a really rich club and even then mistakes can be made). There may even be half decent managers we could sign but who wouldn't be right for our club. We've had a good run of managers in recent times - McCall, Macnamara (whatever you think of him he did move McCall's project on and sign some important players for us) and Archibald. Odds are we're due poor manager next time but maybe we can beat the odds. Personally I can't think of a suitable choice at the moment (doesn't mean there isn't one) but hopefully we have Archie for a bit longer giving us time for one to become available. Anyone have Jackie back? :evil: :evil: :evil:

The fact that they're not a management duo we brought in from outside the Thistle 'culture', and were already Jags playing legends, makes their growingly successful tenure vastly sweeter. Add in the fact that they were 100% untested and, therefore, unproven and you have a story that only a wee dreamy ten-year-old laddie with red'n'yella wallpaper covering his school books could make up.

• Like 4

The fact that they're not a management duo we brought in from outside the Thistle 'culture', and were already Jags playing legends, makes their growingly successful tenure vastly sweeter. Add in the fact that they were 100% untested and, therefore, unproven and you have a story that only a wee dreamy ten-year-old laddie with red'n'yella wallpaper covering his school books could make up.

three more chapters in this story to go for this dreamy ten year old .....

..... bring the scottish cup back home to maryhill

..... qualify for a european adventure through league placing

..... win the league to qualify for champions league

and then, a new story of dreams can begin under our new management duo of kris doolan and chris erskine ..... and that dreamy story is one to savour my jaggy friends :happy2::fan:

• Like 1

three more chapters in this story to go for this dreamy ten year old ..... ..... bring the scottish cup back home to maryhill ..... qualify for a european adventure through league placing ..... win the league to qualify for champions league and then, a new story of dreams can begin under our new management duo of kris doolan and chris erskine ..... and that dreamy story is one to savour my jaggy friends :happy2::fan:

Do Archie and Shaggie not then go on to take the national side to the World Cup, where they beat Brazil 4-0 in the final ?

Do Archie and Shaggie not then go on to take the national side to the World Cup, where they beat Brazil 4-0 in the final ?

That'll be the game where Kevin Nisbet grabs a hat-trick. Neil McLaughlin taunts the opposition with some fine keepy-uppie, while James Penrice rather ungraciously refers to Brazil as The Yellow Cowdenbeath.

Semi serious question here... Is there any reason why Archie won't be due another testimonial in three or so years time? Even if there's tax problems, in so much as a normal testimonial doesn't incur taxation, I believe some sort of recognition of his second ten years (this time unbroken service) would be most worthy. It needn't necessarily involve a testimonial style match (tho' that's probably the easiest way to raise money). A function like a dinner or something maybe more inclusive could suffice.

Just thought it worth bringing up especially at a time when we're deservedly applauding Kris Doolan for true professionalism. The only other true professional to compare with Dools is his ex team-mate and current manager.

• Like 3

LIB - I think your suggestion would have more merit if Archie hadn't had the (in my opinion) undeserved testimonial the first time round.

Next year (in fact 365 days from now!) he will potentially have been with us ten years unbroken. Given that the previous testimonial was perhaps undeserved, what about one for 20 years combined service if he lasts another four? It's a bit silly even contemplating that really as he's already the third longest SPFL manager and would need to more than double his time in the role to get there.