Loyalty From Lawless

You can't continue to use us standing by him during his betting ban as a reason to call for 'loyalty'.

Lawless showed loyalty by signing on for this season.

He's free to assess his options for next season and sign with whoever he wants without being called disloyal.

Hopefully he looks at those options and chooses Partick Thistle.

• Like 6

What a bizarre outburst.

He's not signed for anyone yet as far as I can see. I'm sure he'll assess all his options and go wherever he feels is best for him, whether that be us, United or anyone else. We've had 4 good seasons out of Lawless, I'd say he's earned us standing by him in his troubles and doesn't owe the club anything.

• Like 4

If he goes, he goes.

He knows how to do well in the 1st Division. When Higgy left we thought it'd be a disaster - not really missed him. Or Erskine, Paton, Osbourne, SOD, ATS, Cairney - the list goes on!

I hope he stays, but won't be too upset if he decides to leave. Wish him the best & move on.

This is the sort of nonsense that would have been avoided had United went about their business in a proper manner.

Paatelainen's comments today were completely and utterly unprofessional - a trait that seems to be a pre-requisite to be a Dundee United manager these days. Leaving aside the business etiquette that United patently lack, it's completely and utterly unfair on Lawless and suddenly puts him under the spotlight for tomorrow's game. If I was Lawless, I wouldn't be best pleased with my potential new manager putting me under pressure in my current employment and using me as a pawn in an attempt to play mind games.

Do I think there was a little bit of retribution in us announcing Erskine in the way that we did? Yes, I believe there was. But that was a different story to Lawless - Erskine's deal was done and dusted whereas this is purely conducting your business in public in order to gain a competitive advantage, in my opinion.

Lawless or not, it's well within our capabilities to give this mob a hiding tomorrow so let's hope this storm subsides and United get what's coming to them.

• Like 8

What a bizarre outburst.

He's not signed for anyone yet as far as I can see. I'm sure he'll assess all his options and go wherever he feels is best for him, whether that be us, United or anyone else. We've had 4 good seasons out of Lawless, I'd say he's earned us standing by him in his troubles and doesn't owe the club anything.

it's the thing that I love most about this forum: all opinions are respected and posters always take the time to understand the original post before offering intelligent responses. Where is the cup when you need him.

• Like 1

it's the thing that I love most about this forum: all opinions are respected and posters always take the time to understand the original post before offering intelligent responses. Where is the cup when you need him.

Sorry, I took the OP to be a claim that Lawless owes the club for standing by him during the betting stuff, and bemoaning a perceived general lack of loyalty amongst professional footballer's when they move for more money. Was it something else?

To be honest i am not sure we would miss him if he did go, he is ok but not someone who cannot be replaced. For some reason i had it in my mind we would let him go at the end of this season anyway as we strive to improve quality within the squad. I can see why having a backbone of players is important but i would not consider him as part of the teams spine.

• Like 1

To be honest i am not sure we would miss him if he did go, he is ok but not someone who cannot be replaced. For some reason i had it in my mind we would let him go at the end of this season anyway as we strive to improve quality within the squad. I can see why having a backbone of players is important but i would not consider him as part of the teams spine.

Agree pinhead but with a wee bit more o2 in my lungs !

He is in my opinion the typical hot and cold football player, one week a revelation , next a waste of space.

If he goes , better will replace him.

• Like 1

Stevie Lawless would be crazy to sign any pre contract with Dundee Utd whether they offer him more money or not.

At this moment DUFC are favourites to get relegated and if they did get relegated I don't see them being certs to go straight back up, so Lawless could be plying his trade down in the Championship for 2/3 years.

If he signs a new contract with us and plays well , I'm sure he'll have the choice of clubs whether that's in the SPFL or even down South rather than drop down the leagues in Scotland.

One final point , looking at the way Paataleinen and DUFC conduct their business would you want to play for them ?

• Like 1

I would say he is part of the spine. A very good player.

He won't be on much money. Probably half the supporters will be on a higher wage. He's got a family to support. If there is a wage rise then I'd go if I was him. I'd have went when the Dutch team came in for him couple seasons ago.

With all due respect LLD do you have any idea ?

a. what money he is on ?

b. what the supporters typical wage is ?

Proof of anything would be helpful !