How Many Points?

Auld Jag

How many points do we need from our remaining games to ensure we don't finish in the bottom 2?I would think 44points would see us safe.So an average of 1point from each of our remaining games and we should be ok.As long as we don't have another run like the first 9 games where we only took 3points we should be ok.

I dont think its unrealistic for us to win 4 games before the split. If we can do that then we should be OK. This is an important year for us, looking at the spine of the team that archie is building for the future on long contracts, if we could keep osman and with erskine coming back I think next season could be a really good one for us provided we stay up. We have 4 games in hand over killie and they are still below us, but i think out of all the other teams, hamilton will be the ones to fall to 11th

Have you had a look at the league table ? 6 points from top 6 place with loads of games in hand. We should not be pissing about with play-off talk.

Flip it on the other side, yes we have games in hand, but we are joint second bottom. Games in hand are no bloody use unless you take points from them, sadly!

Have you had a look at the league table ? 6 points from top 6 place with loads of games in hand. We should not be pissing about with play-off talk.

Flip it on the other side, yes we have games in hand, but we are joint second bottom. Games in hand are no bloody use unless you take points from them, sadly!

flip it again and ..... if we win our all our games in hand, we will be in fourth and snapping at hearts heels. yes, it's an if, but it is possible, not as if we haven't beaten before all the teams we've to play in the postponed games in the premiership.

we have the potential to go more up than down in both points and league positions with the games in hand ..... let's back the players and archie and shaggy and have belief that they can have us looking up rather than down once the games in hand have been caught up.

lets encourage the players to roar on the pitch as supporters roar them on to victory off the pitch.

all together now ..... we will follow thistle, over land and sea ..... :fan:

• Like 3

and just to flip it again, I don't think we have played well in any game since the turn of the year (bar the Parkhead game) Too many people think the games in hand mean we are in a great position. That will only be the case if we win some of them. This time next week, if both games this week get the go ahead, will hopefully make things a bit clearer. Yes, we are very capable of taking a haul of points, but given the tightness of this league, the opposite is true as well.

another aspect of our current situation in the midst of how this season is playing out is ..... this is the tightest the premiership has been in any of the past few seasons ..... with our games in hand, coupled with the fact there is currently eight points between eight teams, we have never had a better opportunity to see us comfortably top six come the split ..... an achievement that will surpass anything of the previous three seasons, and be statistically speaking, one of the clubs best ever seasons in its history ..... if that isn't motivation for the players and management, and reason for us as supporters to back the team (and turn out in numbers consistently and vocally), then i despair.

we all know what happened in sixty three, but we could do the opposite here and make these catchup games count and propel us upwards ..... would also mean more money too from league position payout to help get our pitch properly sorted to avoid drainage and flooding issues of this season in future seasons.

yoda glass half full jag :drink:

and just to flip it again, I don't think we have played well in any game since the turn of the year (bar the Parkhead game) Too many people think the games in hand mean we are in a great position. That will only be the case if we win some of them. This time next week, if both games this week get the go ahead, will hopefully make things a bit clearer. Yes, we are very capable of taking a haul of points, but given the tightness of this league, the opposite is true as well.

disagree i don't with your assessment of our play since turn of year ..... but last eleven scheduled matches have seen disruption of four postponements in amongst two wins, two draws and three defeats (cruel undeserved loss at porkhead, a loss in game that should have never gone ahead (and exacerbated the problems with our pitch), and a cup game where an experiment went horrifically wrong). prior to that eleven game sequence, we were on another run of games that saw us play some exceptional football in entertaining ways and ground out valuable one nil shitfests ..... if we can replicate that run in our final eleven games to the split, we will be top six and strong chance of fourth. it will be hard, with the increased frequency of games, but on flip side when we haven't had a run of games to get in our stride, we've suffered and struggled ..... sometimes when teams get on a winning run, the next games can't come soon enough, so this may, and i emphasise the word may, work in our favour.

point is, let's not turn up to games thinking negatively, looking down and almost defeating ourselves before we start ..... let's be positive, think of how we have opportunity to climb upwards and show some belief in the players and archie and shaggy ..... we've yet to see what the new signings can contribute and a fit again fraser and a no more long haul internationalist edwards as well a returned christie and a level of performance we know our keeper, defence, osman, banzo, dools, lawless and co can produce ..... they've got it in them, so it's up to them to do their business on the park, while the supporters turn out to back them strongly. for example look at the manpreet young team, they are upping their game and backing, how about the some of the doubters do the same?

just the way i see it.

yoda dry knickers jag

• Like 2

If we harbour any aspirations to get into the top 6 then we will need about 44 points (ie 16 points from remaining 10 games before the split - not likely imho) - and obviously a top 6 place precludes any issue regarding relegation! :happy2:

In the more likely scenario of not getting into the top 6 we would need to get about 43 or 44 points (ie 15 or 16 points from the remaining 15 games - imo - possible). :mellow:

As an aside might there be a possibility of a team which finishes in the top 6 at the split ending up getting fewer points than the team ending up in the play off (and i know this is an academic point because they would have played the top 5 teams after the break - but it does, I believe, emphasise the ridiculousness of the split). :frantic: :frantic:

disagree i don't with your assessment of our play since turn of year ..... but last eleven scheduled matches have seen disruption of four postponements in amongst two wins, two draws and three defeats (cruel undeserved loss at porkhead, a loss in game that should have never gone ahead (and exacerbated the problems with our pitch), and a cup game where an experiment went horrifically wrong). prior to that eleven game sequence, we were on another run of games that saw us play some exceptional football in entertaining ways and ground out valuable one nil shitfests ..... if we can replicate that run in our final eleven games to the split, we will be top six and strong chance of fourth. it will be hard, with the increased frequency of games, but on flip side when we haven't had a run of games to get in our stride, we've suffered and struggled ..... sometimes when teams get on a winning run, the next games can't come soon enough, so this may, and i emphasise the word may, work in our favour.

point is, let's not turn up to games thinking negatively, looking down and almost defeating ourselves before we start ..... let's be positive, think of how we have opportunity to climb upwards and show some belief in the players and archie and shaggy ..... we've yet to see what the new signings can contribute and a fit again fraser and a no more long haul internationalist edwards as well a returned christie and a level of performance we know our keeper, defence, osman, banzo, dools, lawless and co can produce ..... they've got it in them, so it's up to them to do their business on the park, while the supporters turn out to back them strongly. for example look at the manpreet young team, they are upping their game and backing, how about the some of the doubters do the same?

just the way i see it.

yoda dry knickers jag

Let's hope they knickers are in pristine condition come the split, Yoda (missus!)....lol

Edited by Lindau

I don't think the table looks too bad right now. Yes we're in 10th, but we have played no less than 4 fewer games than Kilmarnock below us (on GD) and the two teams 1 point ahead of us.

The league is really tight this year but we have to believe that the team will take at least some points from those four games. If they do, we'll quickly move up the table. I also happen to believe we are a better team than Killie or Hamilton (at the very least).

44 points should do it but we should also be aiming higher.

As an aside might there be a possibility of a team which finishes in the top 6 at the split ending up getting fewer points than the team ending up in the play off (and i know this is an academic point because they would have played the top 5 teams after the break - but it does, I believe, emphasise the ridiculousness of the split). :frantic: :frantic:

Yes .... and quite likely to happen this year

We have averaged 1.217 points per game up to now, therefore if that trend continues we will gain another 18 points from our remaining 15 games which would give us a final total of 46 points. I can't see us being involved in the play offs if we achieve that amount of points.

25 points from our last 14 league games is hopefully the even more up to date and reliable statistic. That works out at 1.786 per game or approx 27 from 15 games, taking us to a comfortable 55.

While wanting to gain as many points as possible and not being in the least complacent, I would be amazed if 40 points were not enough. Hamilton, Motherwell and Killie have only 11 games left and (while one or two might) I cannot see all three of them averaging more than a point a game.

I suspect that as the "stagger" of unplayed games slowly unwinds, 2 groups will emerge, the Panic Group of Hamilton, Motherwell and Killie all desperately scrabbling for points to keep upsides with each other and ahead of a possibly resurgent Dundee United, and the Relaxed Group of Ross County, St Johnstone, Dundee and Inverness, who as long as they pick up points reasonably regularly and do not go into a Hibs 2014 type meltdown should be fairly comforatable, and can focus on battling for the Top 6 rather than against relegation.

Hopefully we can get into the latter group!

Looks to me that there's three clubs plus United that should finish below us, four clubs we should be competing with for places and three clubs out of sight. Perhaps from the first group one might go on a winning run but then that's just as likely as one from the middle group dropping down the league. It's really who we take the points off that matters as much as our overall total. If we don't lose any of our pre split games to Accies, Killie and 'Well, picking up maybe 5pts, we won't have nearly as much to do. The postponed games we have in hand are maybe not so crucial tho' we should really be picking up points from two of the home games.

Playing like we did today cant see us pick up many if any points at all from our next 4 games.Imo we still need another 12 points to stay away from 11th.Also when we start talking about getting into the to 6 we seem to always play bad.Lets just make sure we stay away from 11th.

After another weekend where Dundee Utd got a good result and we played badly and deservedly lost it is becoming harder to predict how many points we need to be safe.I feel our squad is good enough to get 13points out of the remaining games.But we cannot afford any more performances like Saturday.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't take at least 9 points from the 24 available before the split, which would leave us in a very comfortable position.

We'd have to really blow it to get relegated/finish 11th now.

We may have poor performances but they're usually isolated or in a wee spell of two or three matches.

Onwards and upwards.

If we won both our remaining games vs Killie and took 4 vs United and lost every other one, that would be enough to stay safe most likely. I'd rather not do it that way though.

Killie have 9 games left including Aberdeen and Celtic as their next two, can't see them getting more than 14 points so 42/43 is still my target.