Steven Lawless

JesusTejero

As others have said he's obviously not at the front of the queue when the grey matter was been handled out, however much as the Jungle Jims like to pretend otherwise morality and professional football have precious little to do with each other. Archie should just issue a final warning, but I have to confess ignorance of the internal discipline policy at Firhill so I'd imagine they'll simply follow that!

• Like 1

see all this chat of reprimanding him, fining him or terminating his contract?

i don't think any of these would send out the right message.

instead of terminating his contract, we should terminate him.

get his severed head on a long pole atop the bing advertising scaffolding.

and to even it up, i'd suggest sticking chic charnleys head on another long pole.

let it serve as a warning to all.

one team in glasgow.

we don't play in blue we don't play in green, red and yellow are the colours we love, the colours of partick thistle football club

• Like 1

Just as an employee has a responsibility to his employer so the reverse is also true. Thankfully we have at the helm a manager who appreciates this.

With reference to one of Stevie's previous indiscretions with gambling, Alan Archiebald commented, “We will give Steven all the help he needs if he has a problem. We will back him to the hilt.People should be helping the players not just giving them a ban. The rules are don’t bet – but if the rules are don’t drink and you are an alcoholic, then you are still going to drink aren’t you? It looks like Stevie has put a lot of bets on but we’ll sit down with him and deal with it internally. We want to help him.”

My understanding is the S.F.A. sanction for breaching gambling rules imposed on Stevie was a 6 game ban. Having served 2 the other 4 are suspended as long as he avoids further breach of the regulations. This he appears to have complied with.

In relation to Twitter, I'm aware of fans having contention with some of his posts on various occassions, however, the scandal that made the papers was a story about a guy who had his phone knicked. An explanation the club seem to have accepted, mobile theft is quite common after all, and a full and frank apology was made by the player.

I confess to being no Twitter expert. Perhaps someone can give me a full explanation of the padlock icon on his most recent tweets? Does this deny viewing of his account to non-tweeters, non-followers or selected friends? Regardless, it does appear he may have taken some steps to control the reach of his tweets and perhaps like me does not fully appreciate who can access his account.

Everyone should be entitled to a defence when accused. In making a defence, one does not necessarily condone the actions of the accused.

This guy might only sign one year contracts with the Jags, he, like many 25 year old professional footballers might have some boisterous or laddish characteristics and temptations that he yields to more frequently than is wise He may hold dear another club we don't and any political or religious persuasion by definition does not align with an establishment promoting a non aligned stance....

However he's also the guy who has been with us for nearly 4 years, made over 100 appearances, scored 14 goals in our championship year, continues to score some crucial and some spectacular goals, apparently attracts interest from other clubs and in fact does meet many of his off-field duties like a professional and has represented the club well in the community on several occasions when asked...

i4dztl.jpg

Jackie And Sid were in charge of the team when Stevie first signed. I recall an interview with a local paper where he said his admiration for both of those former celtic stars' careers and what they had to say about their ambitions for the club were a big influence in him taking what could be seen as a step down from Motherwell to the at the time lower league Jags (although pretty much all his first team starts were at The Wee Rovers). Sookin up and saying the right things in a professional manner, or maybe even a suggestion he's not quite the bile driven bigot he's being made out to be here? Anyway, despite the two guys who he at first signed for leaving he has perhaps shown at least some appreciation for our club and it's stature fighting for his place under a different gaffer.

Aye... so he grumbled when he was not in the team, and he doesn't even have the decency to be a closet H*n.... Some folks are offended by his tweets... and we all know what that can lead to in this town... but no-one has actually suffered physical harm or loss from these tweets... or has someone else got a wee gambling issue and had a line on when he might post some shitey banter.... Odds must've been pretty short it'd be the weekend of a "long awaited" old firm tie.....

I don't condone his actions at all. But the enthusiasm to condemn the guy on display here leaves the question is this wee daftie maybe just working for the wrong set of bigots?

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

It's his constant failure to live by the same set of rules as every other player that really worries me the most.

This must be the 3rd or 4th time he's decided to ignore club rules, once you can understand as a genuine mistake but come on, is he deliberately trying to alienate the club and the fans? Is he hoping to be released by mutual consent?

I wonder if Ryan Finnies club will take action against him since he has actually posted sectarian comments allegedly?

I have to be honest not too sure what club Finnie is at.

He left the Rangers not under the best of terms to do with not bet given a chance as a youth player therefore the team he seems to adore probably completely stifled his career therefore I am quite staggered he still has such a huge love in with them. He is clearly so thick he almost makes lawless look like a mastermind winner

This must be the 3rd or 4th time he's decided to ignore club rules, once you can understand as a genuine mistake but come on, is he deliberately trying to alienate the club and the fans? Is he hoping to be released by mutual consent?

He's only got a couple of weeks left on his contract. Probably just a case of not giv8ng a shit about his current employers or their fans as he won't be here next season.

If truth be told I think a lot of people hold a romantic notation that Lawless will emulate his 1st Division form. The fact remains and stats confirm he hasn't come close to it.

If we were rumoured to be signing an attacking midfielder with close on 100 Premiership games but only 10 goals, who's key attribute is dribbling yet rarely wins a penalty and has a habit of putting his head down and running down a dead end. How many folk would be over the moon with that news?

When you add in the baggage, I doubt any thistle fan would be jumping for Joy.

After his latest wee episode I'd quite happily see him dropped with Amoo starting on the left and Elliott on the right and just tell him to take a month off paid leave.

When he joined he came on a two year deal, we offered him a new contract with improved wages, he turned it down to see what was on offer. Nothing was, we were the best offer on the table. Same again last year. And so it comes again. I think it's time to just say thanks and goodbye.

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 3

If truth be told I think a lot of people hold a romantic notation that Lawless will emulate his 1st Division form. The fact remains and stats confirm he hasn't come close to it.

If we were rumoured to be signing an attacking midfielder with close on 100 Premiership games but only 10 goals, who's key attribute is dribbling yet rarely wins a penalty and has a habit of putting his head down and running down a dead end. How many folk would be over the moon with that news?

After his latest wee episode I'd quite happily see him dropped with Amoo starting on the left and Elliott on the right and just tell him to take a month off paid leave.

When he joined he came on a two year deal, we offered him a new contract with improved wages, he turned it down to see what was on offer. Nothing was, we were the best offer on the table. Same again last year. And so it comes again. I think it's time to just say thanks and goodbye.

stats would indicate that Pogba has only scored 2 in 25 but you claim he offers far more than that. Not that Pogba is likely to carry on like an idiot on social media but if your talking about stats only I'm pretty sure lawless got a fair few assists as well. I want us to finish as high up the table as possible and it maybe that we need lawless to do so

If Archie bins lawless because he is a d1ck off the field then I can see that but I see no point in your stats argument when you jumped down someone's throat the other week when they said pogbas stats were not good enough with your point which was fair enough that stats do not tell the whole story. They don't but if they don't with Pogba then they don't with lawless who on the pitch has been an important player with us regardless of how much of a moron he maybe off it.

Edited by Third Lanark

Lawless is a Rangers fan, was before he played for us, will be when he leaves.

Why wouldn't he be happy that he believes they are back?

Should he express his opinion on Twitter? Not for me, but that's between him and the club.

Had he been a Dunfermline fan and he tweeted them being back, would we be cracking up? Doubt it. Did Chico ever do an interview without mentioning Celtic? Did we hang him out to dry?

For what it is worth, I think he's off and he knows it. Will still cheer him on Saturday if he plays. Don't think he'll be joining Mensa anytime soon though.

• Like 1

It's surely more likely to be Amoo on the right and Elliott down the left. Putting Lawless's off field antics aside I feel he's had a good season considering he's mostly been played out of position. If Amoo could be as effective over on the left side leaving Stevie to play either behind the striker or down the right then I'm sure more folk would be appreciative of his value to us. And as we all know in practice the more valuable a player is the more tolerant we, like every other club, will be regarding his off field shenanigans.

• Like 1

When you add in the baggage, I doubt any thistle fan would be jumpiing for Joy.

Perhaps it is more a case that some people recognise the difference in quality between the divisions, accept that many players do not achieve their full potential until aged between 25 and 30, and going by the stats alone it might be worth noting our only player to break into double figures of league goals since promotion is Dools in season 1 with 11, and this year Stevie is tied for 2nd spot with Amoo.

I'd say there is maybe more romance in any rumours we be able to be signing a 25/26 year old attacking midfielder with close on 100 Scottish Premiership games. Off the top of my head, Cerny, Stevenson, Gallagher, Miller with St Johnstone maybe? ..The return of The Bridge has he notched up a ton at DU? ...

There's been a few maybe but hardly a habit we are in. I'd also remind folks that Erskine scored less goals in our promotion season than Stevie and scored 3 in the prem before he ****** off. He had a decent first year at DU scoring a few goals but, that was in Jackie le cunto's halcyon days with the arabs and i'm aware of the circumstances, but he has fallen out the team a bit.... I love Chris, warmly welcome his return home and believe he can flourish again... but if any jag is viewed with romantic notions by the fans (other than offers of spouses to the gaffer) it's Squiddy.

Again, off the top of my head, how many people would be glad to see us signing Leigh Griffiths on a one year deal on Lawless's wages? He's a bit of a tit too... but I'd take a punt, and carry his baggage for his goals.

Stevie is a young father. Y'really can't blame him if the "one year contracts spur me own" stuff is guff and he's hoping for more cash. But be fair, This year ICT and DU have been rumoured to want him, and in the promotion season we turned down cash on the table from Holland for him... Jimmy Caderwood's old club..i.. anyhoo... he has and continues to court interest from elsewhere. He's signed up for a year, when he see's out his deal, y'cannae really ipmly he's done the dirty on us with contracts.... How many transfer fees have we received in the past 5 seasons. Hendry? .....

Stevie has his ups and downs on and off the field, but he remains a very useful player to have in a squad still fighting for a decent season, and will remain so for any team who finish in the the bottom six this year and are hoping to build competitiveness for 2016/17. Unlike some on here, I've got faith Archie could source us a decent replacement if/when he goes, (perhaps Erskine is the plan) but he ain't a throw away... he will need replacing.

Let's not get over complacent about our league campaign just yet ... there's still 5 games to go, money for places to play for, and we ain't totally clear of the play-offs just yet.

We've got important fixtures still to play... Stevie's latest wee episode ain't helpful.... suggesting any of our squad are disposable ain't gonna be the best for team spirit, either.

• Like 3

stats would indicate that Pogba has only scored 2 in 25 but you claim he offers far more than that. Not that Pogba is likely to carry on like an idiot on social media but if your talking about stats only I'm pretty sure lawless got a fair few assists as well. I want us to finish as high up the table as possible and it maybe that we need lawless to do so

If Archie bins lawless because he is a d1ck off the field then I can see that but I see no point in your stats argument when you jumped down someone's throat the other week when they said pogbas stats were not good enough with your point which was fair enough that stats do not tell the whole story. They don't but if they don't with Pogba then they don't with lawless who on the pitch has been an important player with us regardless of how much of a moron he maybe off it.

Thats why i provided a mix of stats and opinion regards his style of play.

i don't think i jumped down anyone's throat to be fair.

Edited by potty trained

Perhaps it is more a case that some people recognise the difference in quality between the divisions, accept that many players do not achieve their full potential until aged between 25 and 30, and going by the stats alone it might be worth noting our only player to break into double figures of league goals since promotion is Dools in season 1 with 11, and this year Stevie is tied for 2nd spot with Amoo.

I'd say there is maybe more romance in any rumours we be able to be signing a 25/26 year old attacking midfielder with close on 100 Scottish Premiership games. Off the top of my head, Cerny, Stevenson, Gallagher, Miller with St Johnstone maybe? ..The return of The Bridge has he notched up a ton at DU? ...

There's been a few maybe but hardly a habit we are in. I'd also remind folks that Erskine scored less goals in our promotion season than Stevie and scored 3 in the prem before he ****** off. He had a decent first year at DU scoring a few goals but, that was in Jackie le cunto's halcyon days with the arabs and i'm aware of the circumstances, but he has fallen out the team a bit.... I love Chris, warmly welcome his return home and believe he can flourish again... but if any jag is viewed with romantic notions by the fans (other than offers of spouses to the gaffer) it's Squiddy.

Again, off the top of my head, how many people would be glad to see us signing Leigh Griffiths on a one year deal on Lawless's wages? He's a bit of a tit too... but I'd take a punt, and carry his baggage for his goals.

Stevie is a young father. Y'really can't blame him if the "one year contracts spur me own" stuff is guff and he's hoping for more cash. But be fair, This year ICT and DU have been rumoured to want him, and in the promotion season we turned down cash on the table from Holland for him... Jimmy Caderwood's old club..i.. anyhoo... he has and continues to court interest from elsewhere. He's signed up for a year, when he see's out his deal, y'cannae really ipmly he's done the dirty on us with contracts.... How many transfer fees have we received in the past 5 seasons. Hendry? .....

Stevie has his ups and downs on and off the field, but he remains a very useful player to have in a squad still fighting for a decent season, and will remain so for any team who finish in the the bottom six this year and are hoping to build competitiveness for 2016/17. Unlike some on here, I've got faith Archie could source us a decent replacement if/when he goes, (perhaps Erskine is the plan) but he ain't a throw away... he will need replacing.

Let's not get over complacent about our league campaign just yet ... there's still 5 games to go, money for places to play for, and we ain't totally clear of the play-offs just yet.

We've got important fixtures still to play... Stevie's latest wee episode ain't helpful.... suggesting any of our squad are disposable ain't gonna be the best for team spirit, either.

Surely though thats a poor reflection on Lawless (comparing both have scored two goals) when comparing him to Amoo, who by and large was really poor and has only just found his feet over the last 5 or 6 games. It's hardly a compliment to suggest in his third year in the Premier league he's like for like with a new signing who carried an injury for most of the season and has only just found his feet!

your point re erskine is incorrect, if anything he was poor in his first season coming to us on loan and won player of the year last season for United, he has progressed. Erskine has played half the games Lawless has, in the last 3 years, but is like for like for goals scored. Also worth noting about a third of his game time is off the bench. Stevie pretty much always starts.

Regards interest from elsewhere, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I'd also ask why the dutch team has never come back in for him when he has been out of contract, twice.

I've never implied he has done the dirty on us. my point re the contracts was that, when he's available for anyone to sign him, we're the one's putting down the best (only?) offer.

Regards your last point re team spirit, on the flip side, playing him might demonstrate that you can basically do as you please, ignore previous warnings and you'll still get a start.

Surely though thats a poor reflection on Lawless (comparing both have scored two goals) when comparing him to Amoo, who by and large was really poor and has only just found his feet over the last 5 or 6 games. It's hardly a compliment to suggest in his third year in the Premier league he's like for like with a new signing who carried an injury for most of the season and has only just found his feet!

your point re erskine is incorrect, if anything he was poor in his first season coming to us on loan and won player of the year last season for United, he has progressed. Erskine has played half the games Lawless has, in the last 3 years, but is like for like for goals scored. Also worth noting about a third of his game time is off the bench. Stevie pretty much always starts.

Regards interest from elsewhere, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I'd also ask why the dutch team has never come back in for him when he has been out of contract, twice.

I've never implied he has done the dirty on us. my point re the contracts was that, when he's available for anyone to sign him, we're the one's putting down the best (only?) offer.

Regards your last point re team spirit, on the flip side, playing him might demonstrate that you can basically do as you please, ignore previous warnings and you'll still get a start.

My point in naming Amoo was not relly intent on comparing the two of them. I was more trying to illustrate that in the goal scoring charts Lawless is the second best we have, it's more a comparison with the whole current squad.

However, if I was going to compare the two, I'd maybe consider more than current form, games played and goals scored this season. Both players are of similar age, both can be excellent or have off days. I'd also say while David seems to be played mostly an out and out right winger, Lawless seems to be asked to do more inside as well as play on the wing. While similarly both are attacking midfielders with clear ability, proven contributions, and still young enough to say room for potential improvement, they each could arguably claim trumps over the other in specific talents. Off the top of my head, Amoo - pace, Lawless - long shots and industry..... Whatever, in my original post, I was not attempting to say either was better than the other and make a compliment out of that.

My point regarding Erskine is incorrect in that I said "first season" rather than second with reference to his DU form. Like I say, I like Chris and think he's a great addition for us, and don't wanna talk the guy down. However, OK, he won POY with DU last year, but then top scorer Cifti had signed a pre contract with celtic. They finished 5th in the league last year, but their form dropped dramatically at the turn of the year when Mackay-Steven and Armstrong left for celtic. As did Squddy's goal scoring, 5 before christmas, 3 after the new year. ... In his time with us on loan he scored 2 in 14 games, Stevie this year has 4 in 31, not all that dissimilar and it can be argued for both that they contribute more to the team than goals. And let's not forget Chris is now what? 29... pushing 30?

The Dutch bid for Lawless came halfway through his first, 2 year, deal. I don't know the circumstance that club were in, It wasn't a big money bid, maybe they got relegated , went bust, changed their manager, perhaps they were looking to take a punt on his second tier form with us, thinking he could repeat it at a higher level and his premiership form turned them off? Maybe Stevie decided it was then or never, he didn't want to uproot his family a year on from the bid?

In truth, I'm more inclined to take this years bids from ICT and DU with a pinch of salt, could be they are just trying to unsettle our team with rumours. However, there is no doubt, Lawless is the type of player that is talked about as a potentially good signing for bottom half Premiership sides. If we are the only side putting down a firm offer, or simply the best he can attract, I'd say the one year thing is a win/win. The age he's at if no firm offers are coming in it's unlikely we are going to make mega bucks on him if he signs a longer deal unless his form improves. If his from drops we ain't stuck with him, improves and we get a very decent player for a year on the cheap. .... Yeah we gotta try and make a busniess out of this , but personally for a club in a financial position like ours our best hope is Thistle Weir producing a gem. Yeah he cause needless and silly problems off the field but on it , it is hard to argue he's not at least providing decent competition for a place.

I think your flipside opinion totally neglects to consider Stevie's total contribution at the club, and is unreasonable. I absolutely agree we must have standards of etiquette and discipline, I repeat my opinion stevie's out of order and a bit of a bam, but we are a football club, not a finishing school for dignified young gentlemen.

ETA .... your point regarding Lawless and Amoo scoring 2 goals is incorrect ... they have both scored 4 ..... :thumbsup2:

EETA In the league!!! ... Amoo + 1 in the cup ..... :frantic:

• Like 1

A social media ban may well be the only antidote to players being unable to police themselves. That's probably the saddest element of the situation. In my opinion, tweets such as that of Lawless are bringing the employing clubs clearly into disrepute. That is unacceptable in any circumstances.

It might be that a very stiff dose of regulation (prohibition), with a clear punitive regime of outcomes, is the thing that cures the current ailment. I would like, in the future, to be looking back in disbelief at this time wondering how players used to get away with it. For now, it's time for clubs to get tough.

For what it's worth, I would like to see clubs supported in their approach to social media breaches by the authorities: the SPFL/SFA, for example, should have clear, enforceable policies which render miscreants liable to commensurate punishments. This, I think, would (hopefully) raise the profile of the worst offenders, leaving them at greater risk of being perceived by potential employers as slightly less employable. That said, there are clubs out there who already think nothing of signing players totally regardless of their 'social side', only concerning themselves with a player's ability on the park. That needs to change.

Groan.

A social media ban may well be the only antidote to players being unable to police themselves. That's probably the saddest element of the situation. In my opinion, tweets such as that of Lawless are bringing the employing clubs clearly into disrepute. That is unacceptable in any circumstances.

It might be that a very stiff dose of regulation (prohibition), with a clear punitive regime of outcomes, is the thing that cures the current ailment. I would like, in the future, to be looking back in disbelief at this time wondering how players used to get away with it. For now, it's time for clubs to get tough.

For what it's worth, I would like to see clubs supported in their approach to social media breaches by the authorities: the SPFL/SFA, for example, should have clear, enforceable policies which render miscreants liable to commensurate punishments. This, I think, would (hopefully) raise the profile of the worst offenders, leaving them at greater risk of being perceived by potential employers as slightly less employable. That said, there are clubs out there who already think nothing of signing players totally regardless of their 'social side', only concerning themselves with a player's ability on the park. That needs to change.

Groan.

That won't happen cause they are just as much a problem as the bigots/idiot players

• Like 1

I don't give a stuff who Lawless supports or any other Jags players.

Archie has engendered a great team spirit and Lawless always gives 100 PCs as far as I can see. I agree he should be more consistent but he's the one player you look at who can produce a moment of magic. At Hamilton we just needed something different when he produced it. Otherwise we could be in serious trouble. Other teams don't have players like lawless.

Ok we have Erskine next season too which is great but he is just as inconsistent. Players like that always are. I agree with LIB. He has had a good season. Let's have 2 players next season who can weave beautiful patters through the turgid overcrowded quicksand of the 'final third'.

Btw. Who needs Twitter?

• Like 1

Groan.

I trust your sadness is due to an understanding a ban would be an extreme measure with more potential consequences than the desired effect.

I have it on anecdotal evidence that the loudest chant at the weekend's Nugget Pride event was again "the billy boys". Who'd have thought it with the ban on such rantings being adopted some years ago now? Maybe the thought of getting away with something adds to their excitement and feeling of achievement?

Furthermore it would be unfair to effectively rob some players of a platform they use for good and productive things. Promoting charities, for example and showing appreciation and willingness to interact fans. There's cause for cliche here.... baby and bath water?

Pinhead makes a very pertinent point too. Why trust the Scottish football authorities with our values? Their record ain't impeccable. And in giving them the support as the sovereign authority on morality are we not, to put it in a topical context, simply saying " No. You are not the people.... these guys here with the fake tans and blazers are the people". It might be a more accurate reflection of how we see it, but it's practically not going to stop an argument with tens of thousands of screwballs screaming "no surrender" in defiance....

Individual clubs need to make there own judgements. I'd suggest they take each case on it's own merits. All professional clubs must consider the impact on their business, and that some may feel pressured to show more leniency in dealing with player behaviour is understandable. An affluent club may not suffer quite as much in losing their star man than a less well off one. I think we should show a little more understanding for the smaller club than simply insisting that "them's the RULES!!!" .

The concept that there is a line in the sand on standards of beliefs, commitments and opinions is one of the fundamental problems with the old firm - If you don't think and act just like us there may be a problem.

A controversial tweet from a player does not immediately bring a club into disrepute. How they respond to it, if indeed asked for a response, might.

In this instance our club have made no response yet. I for one would not waste their time asking for one. I'm content with the way the club have dealt with such things previously and trust them to act responsibly again.

However, in this specific case an employee "off duty", on his personal account, has tweeted something which might cause a public interest. Clearly his comments were not made with permission of, or encouraged by, the club. I suggest the tweets bring more actual danger to the individual than to the club from those who in taking offence at his comments might respond in outrage or retort with threatening behaviour. I suggest perhaps the best course of action for a responsible employer is to make that clear to him and continue to work with and assist him in a professional way to improve, rather than to cut him adrift for statements made in a public forum, without advice or apparently a great deal of consideration.