Killie Game 7/5/16

Lindau

Archie has been talking of being confident of avoiding the rebuilding job of last season. If that is to be the case then a lot of players have to re-sign. As it stands, if we lost all our out of contract players this summer (Miller, Frans, Seabourne, Osman, Bannigan, Lawless, (Amoo?), our squad would be pretty decimated.

Archie saying in his post match interview that he hoped to get a couple of our current squad signed up this week now that we know we are safe. Lawless also said he will sit down with the "Gaffer" this week for talks.

Archie also seemed quite confident that he won't encounter the same personnel problems that he did at the start of last season, so fingers crossed he gets most of his business 're current players done over the next couple of weeks.

Archie has been talking of being confident of avoiding the rebuilding job of last season. If that is to be the case then a lot of players have to re-sign. As it stands, if we lost all our out of contract players this summer (Miller, Frans, Seabourne, Osman, Bannigan, Lawless, (Amoo?), our squad would be pretty decimated.

This is true but at the same time we already have a good number of players signed up, including some key players: Doolan, Cerny, Dumbya, Booth plus not so key but still good squad players Fraser, Elliot, Lindsay, Edwards, Pogba and Erskine who we all hope will become a key player. I also think Welsh and Frans won't be hard to deal wth. My only real worry is Osman as we don't really have another player like him. If he would sign up (along with one or both of our out of contract CBs) then we would have a good spine to the team and in fact a starting eleven.

Mind you Archie has shown an ability to find guys like Osman and Frans so I have no doubt he would find good replacements: however the more guys that re-sign, the more of a settled team we'll have at the start of the season.

The management team's extended commitment is, at the very least, a tangible sign of the club's, granted slow, but thankfully steady, impressively continued and carefully measured progress.

The achievement of running a debt free business, was only announced in November. This in itself does not mean we should, or are in a position to, dramatically increase our player budget. Nor, does our likely or achievable final league placing reap great riches.

While we are all ambitious to climb the league, we should also consider the unquestionable achievement, and crucial target of, maintaining our place in the top flight.

Simply, we're heading in the right direction and at a steady pace. We should be very proud and appreciative of that.

I've posted elsewhere that I perceive a "chicken and egg" dilemma for most Scottish clubs. What comes first, successful team or big crowds? I think the efforts our club have made, the innovation, improvisation, dedication and applied talent, in trying to solve the riddle deserve supporting and recommendation, regardless of present results. ... Spread the word... Being a Jags Fan is a good and noble thing.

It's going to be another difficult pre-season preparing for another very tough league campaign... I honestly do not think we could have a better suited man at the helm to plan for provisions and set the course. If your looking for a leisurely cruise in 5* comfort you've bought the wrong boarding pass. This is an adventure, a voyage of discovery and only the brave and hearty should board this ship.

Next season's target? ... Winning the league... of course. Ain't it always? :unknw:

:fan:

This is true but at the same time we already have a good number of players signed up, including some key players: Doolan, Cerny, Dumbya, Booth plus not so key but still good squad players Fraser, Elliot, Lindsay, Edwards, Pogba and Erskine who we all hope will become a key player. I also think Welsh and Frans won't be hard to deal wth. My only real worry is Osman as we don't really have another player like him. If he would sign up (along with one or both of our out of contract CBs) then we would have a good spine to the team and in fact a starting eleven.

Mind you Archie has shown an ability to find guys like Osman and Frans so I have no doubt he would find good replacements: however the more guys that re-sign, the more of a settled team we'll have at the start of the season.

Id argue that we had a decent (probably stronger) spine running from last season into this one. Booth, Seabourne, Frans, Osman, Bannigan, Stevenson, Lawless, Doolan, Fraser.

Four or five key players are difficult to replace. I think we're a long way from saying that we can go into next season with much greater continuity. But hopefully Archie well sort this in the coming weeks.

Other than Abs, the guy I would really like to see signed up is Gary Miller. His form at centre half over the last 5/6 games has been immense and pretty sure we would never have lost four (going on 8) last week if he had been playing. Makes his omission baffling indeed. He can play right back, centre back and in midfield and those type of players are like gold dust to a team like ours.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

...It's going to be another difficult pre-season preparing for another very tough league campaign... I honestly do not think we could have a better suited man at the helm to plan for provisions and set the course. If your looking for a leisurely cruise in 5* comfort you've bought the wrong boarding pass. This is an adventure, a voyage of discovery and only the brave and hearty should board this ship.

What do you mean? It's only the canal that's leaking on to the pitch! :D

Other than Abs, the guy I would really like to see signed up is Gary Miller. His form at centre half over the last 5/6 games has been immense and pretty sure we would never have lost four (going on 8) last week if he had been playing. Makes his omission baffling indeed. He can play right back, centre back and in midfield and those type of players are like gold dust to a team like ours.

I agree re Miller as he seems to be able to come into the team after a good spell on the bench and play as if he's never been left out. That versatility is also a real bonus. No idea tho'. Lindau where you reckon Gary's played anything like the last 5/6 matches at centreback.

• Members
Sadly, I think Osman's less imposing performances recently (in comparison to last season and mid this season - I'm not criticising him) may be down to his mind wandering elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong as it would be a great piece of work to get him re-signed and refocussed.
I wouldn't be surprised to find that he's one of the players Archie has mentioned about going under the knife. I remember him getting a right sore one in the game against Dundee United, and was surprised he made the Ross County game the following Saturday.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that he's one of the players Archie has mentioned about going under the knife. I remember him getting a right sore one in the game against Dundee United, and was surprised he made the Ross County game the following Saturday.

Yes It looks like he has been carrying an injury for a while.

I agree re Miller as he seems to be able to come into the team after a good spell on the bench and play as if he's never been left out. That versatility is also a real bonus. No idea tho'. Lindau where you reckon Gary's played anything like the last 5/6 matches at centreback.

Yeah you are probably right but I feel he drifts into the centre quite a lot. His second half display v the Arabs when Fred went off turned the game. We were getting torn apart. When Gary was moved into central defence that door was shut. As I said he is the type of versatile player that a club like ours needs. Let's just hope we can get him signed up.

On reading the "Blast from the Past" page on the OS, describing a 1-0 victory at Rugby Park in 1975, I couldn't help but look at the Thistle team and experience waves of nostalgia:

Alan Rough, John Hansen, Danny Kellachan, Jackie Campbell, Alan Hansen, Andy Anderson, Bobby Houston, Denis McQuade, Joe Craig, Dougie Somner, John Craig. The substitutes were Bobby Lawrie and John Marr.

• Members

Listened to the audio commentary for the first time on Saturday and just to echo what everyone else has been saying, terriffic stuff. Raymond and Michael are naturals on the Mic.

Just one thing.... thank feck you're not my Doctor, Michael!!! :lol:

• Members

So, now confirmed he's going for surgery on a knee problem. Sometimes the most obvious reasons are too easily overlooked.

That bunch of players managed by Bertie Auld have always been the best Jags team in my time watching Thistle.

John Craig was let go wasn't he after we got promoted and Ian GIbson came in? Hansen played a couple of seasons before Liverpool came in - I'd forgotten he'd played as much as that for us - and thinking about it quite a few guys moved on though I think I'm right in that Rough, Anderson, Campbell, Badger were reguulars most of the time Auld was in charge but the others all left the club at various times while Auld was still manager. Later replacements for the likes of Hansen, Somner and Mcquade were McAdam, Watson and Park.

John Craig was let go wasn't he after we got promoted and Ian GIbson came in? Hansen played a couple of seasons before Liverpool came in - I'd forgotten he'd played as much as that for us - and thinking about it quite a few guys moved on though I think I'm right in that Rough, Anderson, Campbell, Badger were reguulars most of the time Auld was in charge but the others all left the club at various times while Auld was still manager. Later replacements for the likes of Hansen, Somner and Mcquade were McAdam, Watson and Park.

And then Peter Cormack became our manager.......