Doolan

Scully

Lindsay

Elliot

Fraser

Welsh

A. Nesbitt

Pogba

... but Thank fook there's a week to go for planning, and it ain't my call.

With the goalies, you'd have to have a good chat with Paul to see if he fancies it. Scully's done ok since he came in, definite talent and hopefully he'll take alot from his wee run. He's no bombscare but he's yet to have a clean sheet(?) since he came in and that could be vital in the 3 remaining games. These games are too important for selection to be influenced by individual's feelings or pride. We're all in this together, no one is bigger than the club and all that... If Paul's is fit and up for it, his experience trumps Ryan's and the youngster cannae argue with that. Tam's unquestionably our #1, Ryan should focus on ousting him rather than getting butt hurt giving way to his Guru for a couple of games. Huge call ether way.

Frans, in my mind, only just sneaks past Lindsay, and if Welsh was playing more like himself, I'd maybe have Miller in the middle alongside Dan. I'd be looking for a game of the season from either Freddy or Liam.

Gary in the midfield? he's been solid and professional all year, whatever he's been asked to do.... maybe his hard work would kick Abdul back into gear after last saturday's effort.

With Banzo still out, and not too much to shout about in Fraser or Elliot's contributions this year, the attacking-mid is easy to run off. However, there are options, and might be worth trying to get a little more worth out of young nesbitt's loan before it expires...

And for me ... it's gotta be Dools.

... my tuppence worth ... glad to delegate to AA though.

Whatever... Players have gotta be fired up for this. Even those with one eye on elsewhere for next year... Big game this, alot of people will be watching, even if the atmosphere at rugby park is a bit flat... Kinda game that tells alot about a player as well as a team. Early goal either way and it will be interesting (as well as ar5e collapsingly nerve racking if it goes the wrong way) to watch if heads go down or who are the 100%s ...

Finger oot Jags... we f**kin NEED a shift this week.

Gallacher

Dumbuya Frans Seabourne Booth

Miller Osman

Amoo Edwards Lawless

Doolan

Scully

Lindsay

Elliot

Fraser

Welsh

A. Nesbitt

Pogba

... but Thank fook there's a week to go for planning, and it ain't my call.

With the goalies, you'd have to have a good chat with Paul to see if he fancies it. Scully's done ok since he came in, definite talent and hopefully he'll take alot from his wee run. He's no bombscare but he's yet to have a clean sheet(?) since he came in and that could be vital in the 3 remaining games. These games are too important for selection to be influenced by individual's feelings or pride. We're all in this together, no one is bigger than the club and all that... If Paul's is fit and up for it, his experience trumps Ryan's and the youngster cannae argue with that. Tam's unquestionably our #1, Ryan should focus on ousting him rather than getting butt hurt giving way to his Guru for a couple of games. Huge call ether way.

Frans, in my mind, only just sneaks past Lindsay, and if Welsh was playing more like himself, I'd maybe have Miller in the middle alongside Dan. I'd be looking for a game of the season from either Freddy or Liam.

Gary in the midfield? he's been solid and professional all year, whatever he's been asked to do.... maybe his hard work would kick Abdul back into gear after last saturday's effort.

With Banzo still out, and not too much to shout about in Fraser or Elliot's contributions this year, the attacking-mid is easy to run off. However, there are options, and might be worth trying to get a little more worth out of young nesbitt's loan before it expires...

And for me ... it's gotta be Dools.

... my tuppence worth ... glad to delegate to AA though.

Whatever... Players have gotta be fired up for this. Even those with one eye on elsewhere for next year... Big game this, alot of people will be watching, even if the atmosphere at rugby park is a bit flat... Kinda game that tells alot about a player as well as a team. Early goal either way and it will be interesting (as well as ar5e collapsingly nerve racking if it goes the wrong way) to watch if heads go down or who are the 100%s ...

Finger oot Jags... we f**kin NEED a shift this week.

Ha. You must be a mind reader sir. I have that very team written down on my notepad from earlier and your comments

almost verbatim what I wanted to post! Hope Archie's on the same wavelength too.

I wonder how that will work for us. Will they be deflated or will relegation mean they play with more freedom? (I note Aberdeen put in a good perfomance once the league was decided).

Re team/formation would the Killie game be a game worth playing 3-5-3 in? It would give us 3 centre backs (say Miller, Frans, Seabourne), 2 wingbacks (Dumbya, Booth) and 3 in midfield - the extra man could help us get a grip on the game (say Osman, Welsh and Edwards). Then we could have a front two of Pogba and Doolan. Though I have a notion it might be worth playing Amoo up front with Doolan as partner. I know his skill set suits the role of winger better but he is good in the air (better actually than Pogba) has a good touch and is quick which could give the opposition problems.

Of course I realise all that is unlikely but I do hope the manager is working on some system to make us harder to beat.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I wonder how that will work for us. Will they be deflated or will relegation mean they play with more freedom? (I note Aberdeen put in a good perfomance once the league was decided).

Re team/formation would the Killie game be a game worth playing 3-5-3 in? It would give us 3 centre backs (say Miller, Frans, Seabourne), 2 wingbacks (Dumbya, Booth) and 3 in midfield - the extra man could help us get a grip on the game (say Osman, Welsh and Edwards). Then we could have a front two of Pogba and Doolan. Though I have a notion it might be worth playing Amoo up front with Doolan as partner. I know his skill set suits the role of winger better but he is good in the air (better actually than Pogba) has a good touch and is quick which could give the opposition problems.

Of course I realise all that is unlikely but I do hope the manager is working on some system to make us harder to beat.

I wonder whether Dundee Utd's performances in their remaining matches might depend on who they fancy taking down with them. They might go all out to win against teams (or a team) that they think might be relatively weak next season, while going easier on those that they think might be stronger even if they get relegated.

I wonder how they see us compared to Accies or Killie.

• Members

I reckon many of the United players minds will be on where they are playing next season and looking for a way out of Tannadice. I'd expect their kids to start getting back in the side for their last 3 games which perversely might actually make them a bit tougher to beat!

Just to add - didn't seem worth starting a new thread - well done Leicester!

Agree wholeheartedly. A real fairy story when a Cinderella club can overcome the big boys. Just shows what a combination of hard work, team spirit and getting your manager sacked thru his son's racist sex tape with a Thai prostitute can achieve. A lesson to us all that romance in football isn't dead.

Agree wholeheartedly. A real fairy story when a Cinderella club can overcome the big boys. Just shows what a combination of hard work, team spirit and getting your manager sacked thru his son's racist sex tape with a Thai prostitute can achieve. A lesson to us all that romance in football isn't dead.

The other twist is that this "Cinderella" team was worth over £20 million. :o It rather puts matters into perspective. Hard work and team spirit only go so far in the world of football.

The other twist is that this "Cinderella" team was worth over £20 million. :o It rather puts matters into perspective. Hard work and team spirit only go so far in the world of football.

Within the EPL that is rather low. The usual top 4 teams have had individual players they paid near enough £20 m for - certainly several worth £10m plus. This gives you an idea: http://www.transferl...st-five-seasons

Leicester's spend per season (over last 5 years) has been between 1/4 to 1/6 that of the "big" clubs. Though I'd guess in the SPL the spend of other teams compared to Celtic shows a bigger gap. Why guess?

http://stv.tv/sport/...ast-five-years/

Over the last 5 years (leaving Rangers out for obvious reasons) Celtic have spent more than 10 times the amount of the next biggest spending teams (and the next biggest is Hearts who we know were overspending at one point). So it's much harder in Scotland for a "wee team" to break through. As an aside, although Rangers are being better run now (AFAWK) they still have a lot of money being siphoned out, e.g. via SportsDirect. I reckon £1-1.5m is the most they'll be able to spend. Makes them able to challenge for 2nd spot but Celtic will certainly spend at least £5 and maybe £10m if they can move players on. They will have a new manager too.

Rangers aren't a shoe-in for 2nd spot: the top league is tough and teams there are fighting for their lives. It remains to be seen how they handle tough games every week instead of runs of walk-over games interspersed with a few toughies against the likes of Falkirk. And also how their fans handle it if they go on a run of poor results.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Team was bought for £20 million, with a lot more than that (even more now!!!)

Economists have done work in this and if you look at the work of Stefan Szymsnski at the University of Michigan and there was also a study commissioned by The Economist with the same analysis namely the biggest predictor in football is the amount you pay your players that is the wage bill....not particularly surprising but the study in The Econmist looked at the big five leagues in Europe over I think a 10 year period

In our context it's clear Celtic should win the league next year with sevco second then probably hearts and Aberdeen .....I'm not sure small differences can't be overcome say between us and say Ross county but it's unlikely we can break into the top 4

Leicester prove this is not 100% absolutely predictive but with 1 title outwith the top 5 in 20 years it makes it 95% which is pretty good

On the subject regarding thee EPL, Leicester and the money involved. Two Spanish teams looking good for the champions league final

and another two in good positio for Europa flnal, yet we are still being told the English premiership is the greatest competition in club football. BOLLOCKS.

• Like 2

BBC were quoting £82m as the cost of Leicester's squad this morning, but that figure has now disappeared from the article in question. I've had a quick Google of each of their squad and it looks like it cost around £50m, but it's a bit difficult to tell for sure as a number of the transfer fees were undisclosed so there are a few estimates. That figure includes Kramaric who they bought for £9m in January last year, but has been out on loan this season.

Their wage bill is reportedly £57m per year, so that combined with their transfer outlay just shows how ludicrous the English league is that Leicester are considered underdogs. That wage bill is a quarter of that of the top 3 or 4.

Everything has gone their way in the league this season with virtually no injuries, very few suspensions, getting knocked out the cups early and the so-called big teams being very average this season, but full credit to them for taking their chance. Southampton and West Ham have also been decent but nowhere near as consistent as Leicester, and are probably kicking themselves for not mounting a challenge. Delighted for Ranieri. Definitely one of football's good guys. It's going to be really interesting to see how they get on next season, especially in the Champions League. They need to hold on to Kante and Mahrez, although I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them moves on. They might also find it more expensive to recruit players. Teams will likely push up the price of anyone they are after.

In our context it's clear Celtic should win the league next year with sevco second then probably hearts and Aberdeen .....I'm not sure small differences can't be overcome say between us and say Ross county but it's unlikely we can break into the top 4

Just as Leicester are no doubt an amazing exception to the rule down south, the club with the top league's 3rd highest player budget up here showed you can also go the other way.

Just as Leicester are no doubt an amazing exception to the rule down south, the club with the top league's 3rd highest player budget up here showed you can also go the other way.

Sure clubs can over achieve and under achieve ....the correlation between how much you spend to acquire players and performance is not there ( interestingly Leicester have £30m of players they bought not featuring this season which explains the difference between the £80m and 50m) but how much you pay players is

Perhaps it's better here to say that the ugly sisters have so much more money than the rest they will always contest the title and is our equivalent to the top 4/5 in England

Whilst the concentration on the financial discrepancies within the EPL does obviously exist, that fact might tend to emphasise that a further unfortunate factor in Scotland is that societal issues have a large part to play in the relative strengths of the teams.

Polarising unfortunate but long lasting, stubborn and traditional bigotries has provided a financial back-drop for 2 teams in Scotland to virtually finacially cripple every other team with regards to competing for League Championship honours. Admittedly one of the traditional bigot teams got greedy, over-stretched/cheated, got found out and went out of business but were admitted back into the game in a new form, because the powers that be seemingly admire, need and foster the extra spice that a bit of extra-curricular societal mayhem can bring to the game. In England this kind of scenario just does not exist - as Ranieri says money will dominate down there for the next 20 years - lucky them - in Scotland money - generated in a very large part by bigotry - will dominate "sine die".

• Like 3