Harkins

Vinnyjag

Looking at the squad, I don't see him fitting in.

He was a great player & is obviously fond of the club, but unless it was a 'pay as you play' deal, I don't think he'd be worthwhile, unless he's interested in a kind of player / coach role.

Still a great talent and I'm sure will do a decent job wherever he goes. Probably won't be Ibrox though... :clapping:

• Like 1

Maybe if he was a few years younger and we had the financial footing we appear to have these days. Besides he's got a year to run on his contract at Dens. Suspect it's another "Stevenson" type situation where levels of fitness are fading rapidly but you're stuck with a contracted player on a decent enough wage..

I look on this if correct as good news, albeit from a rather perverse point of view. Dundee can't make as many signings as they'd like or are likely to waste money in paying Harkins off.

• Like 1

Dundee are a team that we should be competing with.

He isn't good enough for their squad and so I would think the same applies to us. I would sooner invest in giving game time to younger players like Edwards, Fraser, Azeez, Amoo who can still develop than have another Stevenson on our hands!

The Dundee view is : 'players been brought in are in front of him for starting place and with him being older he's seen as a bit of a luxury player'

• Like 1

Half tongue in cheek here but did he not come to us as a central defender before IMac pushed him into midfield.. At this stage in his career could he be moved back to defence in a genius move reminiscent of Lambie /Irons.

Liked this article from earlier in the year. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/61599/dundees-gary-harkins-owes-debt-of-gratitude-to-partick-boss/

Something tells me Archie might not be the manager to suggest a move back to central defence. :)

• Like 2

He moved up when Jimmy Gibson managed to get himself a straight red during a friendly at Hampden.

One of those "I was there" moments. The difference in the guy was incredible. Immediately looked like a player instead of a substandard centre back.

I'm sure that Gary Harkins had always been a midfielder but when he first signed, Ian McLeod tried him out as a Scott Paterson-type strolling central defender. It didn't really work out - I distinctly remember Gary trying to be too clever just outside his own box and costing us a goal, possibly against Hamilton. I don't think he played at the back for us again.

Harkins, Erskine & Higgy are the most entertaining Thistle Players of this Century and the most outstanding individual performance by anyone at Firhill last season was Gary in the blizzard/mudbath when he scored twice and had two assists. Maybe these conditions suited him as clever footwork was more important than running power but I am a bit surprised Dundee want to move him on.

Despite all this, I'm not sure he would be a priority signing for us - we have plenty of options in midfield and up front although both Welsh & Fraser owe the club good seasons.

A central defender of the calibre of Scott Paterson is top of my wish-list for the playing squad.

Edited by Winter of '63

I'm sure that Gary Harkins had always been a midfielder but when he first signed, Ian McLeod tried him out as a Scott Paterson-type strolling central defender. It didn't really work out - I distinctly remember Gary trying to be too clever just outside his own box and costing us a goal, possibly against Hamilton. I don't think he played at the back for us again.

Harkins, Erskine & Higgy are the most entertaining Thistle Players of this Century and the most outstanding individual performance by anyone at Firhill last season was Gary in the blizzard/mudbath when he scored twice and had two assists. Maybe these conditions suited him as clever footwork was more important than running power but I am a bit surprised Dundee want to move him on.

Despite all this, I'm not sure he would be a priority signing for us - we have plenty of options in midfield and up front although both Welsh & Fraser owe the club good seasons.

A central defender of the calibre of Scott Paterson is top of my wish-list for the playing squad.

Tend to agree with Winter of "63" with one exception. True my memory is fading but I thought it was the then Jags manager that deployed Harkins at centreback and not the distillers of Glengoyne Whisky.

I remember the Hamilton game, gifted the ball straight to Richard Offiong to score.

Not a chance he played centre half for 6 months, think the Hamilton game was his last there and that was very early in the season.

If he could reproduce the form he showed in games against us last season then he'd be an asset. Suspect there is a reason Dundee want shot of him though, he wouldn't come cheap.

I remember the Hamilton game, gifted the ball straight to Richard Offiong to score.

Not a chance he played centre half for 6 months, think the Hamilton game was his last there and that was very early in the season.

If he could reproduce the form he showed in games against us last season then he'd be an asset. Suspect there is a reason Dundee want shot of him though, he wouldn't come cheap.

was told dundees finances have again been far from ideal

was told dundees finances have again been far from ideal

They do have a habit of entering administration. Is it something like 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years they've been in Administration?

I would have said if the wages weren't too high then i'd like to see him back, but we have Erskine back so not overly fussed.